updates for Australia cruise ship covid protocols

1 hour ago, freeanydaynow said:

Since the rescinding of the Eastern Seaboard protocols last month has anyone cruised out of Victoria without confirming their vaccination status? I just read on another forum that the Disney cruise line, though their policies are not yet updated, they would not be checking vaccination status, but that it will be on the port employees to be checking. So are they checking cruising out of Victoria? 

There are no more protocols, so it applies to all ports that subscribed to it.

No cruise has departed Melbourne since the protocols were rescinded. The first cruise out of Melbourne is on Grand Princess on 23rd October. Passengers for that cruise are not required to be vaccinated - they will not be checking for vaccination certificates.

There is a jumbled-up message there. Terminal employees are sub-contracted by the shipping agent and are neither port nor cruise line employees. Terminal employees always do the check-in process. and during the covid restrictions they were required to check your vaxx certificate. The cruise lines only required advance information so they could apply the 95 and 5% vaxx exemptions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

There are no more protocols, so it applies to all ports that subscribed to it.

No cruise has departed Melbourne since the protocols were rescinded. The first cruise out of Melbourne is on Grand Princess on 23rd October. Passengers for that cruise are not required to be vaccinated - they will not be checking for vaccination certificates.

There is a jumbled-up message there. Terminal employees are sub-contracted by the shipping agent and are neither port nor cruise line employees. Terminal employees always do the check-in process. and during the covid restrictions they were required to check your vaxx certificate. The cruise lines only required advance information so they could apply the 95 and 5% vaxx exemptions. 

It sounds like someone needs to tell Disney and NCL that the protocols are truly dropped.  NCL still has requirements on their website.  I doubt Carnival or Princess have access to different information than NCL or Disney does.

2 minutes ago, habitatnal said:

It sounds like someone needs to tell Disney and NCL that the protocols are truly dropped.  NCL still has requirements on their website.  I doubt Carnival or Princess have access to different information than NCL or Disney does.

They will know it has changed. They just haven't been bothered to update their relevant web pages.

I sent an email to NCL guest services. They said they would be discussing this at meetings this week. I got a reply back on Monday stating at this time NCL is keeping their requirement to be vaccinated and tested prior to sailing from Australia. They did say to keep checking because things could change but for now the protocol remains. Perhaps those that wish to travel should hound corporate and send emails. Most of us in our party are vaccinated but we have a few that are not. 

3 hours ago, Teachkids2 said:

I sent an email to NCL guest services. They said they would be discussing this at meetings this week. I got a reply back on Monday stating at this time NCL is keeping their requirement to be vaccinated and tested prior to sailing from Australia. They did say to keep checking because things could change but for now the protocol remains. Perhaps those that wish to travel should hound corporate and send emails. Most of us in our party are vaccinated but we have a few that are not. 

I don’t understand how NCL can sail around the world with no protocols but they won’t drop them for Australia.  Do you have a good email address for NCL?  I couldn’t find one.

12 minutes ago, habitatnal said:

I don’t understand how NCL can sail around the world with no protocols but they won’t drop them for Australia.  Do you have a good email address for NCL?  I couldn’t find one.

I emailed public relations publicrelations@ncl.com

28 minutes ago, habitatnal said:

Simple -- just stop sailing with NCL until they realise that their remaining Covid paranoia is affecting them 

5 hours ago, bazzaw said:

How many shops etc have I seen that still have old Covid stuff in their windows. 

Baz, I dont know about Qld but Covid is still rampant down here in the Eurobodalla, NSW Far South Coast.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Baz, I dont know about Qld but Covid is still rampant down here in the Eurobodalla, NSW Far South Coast.

I'm concerned that the arrival of cruise ships from North America in a couple of months will bring with them the seeds of the current wave of new strains they're experiencing there. Don't get me wrong I'm pro cruising but at least the testing and vax requirements were a way of monitoring the situation and making it a bit less of a free-for-all.

I'll be on the Grand for its first dpearture out of Melbourne in October - I'll be having my mask very tightly fitted to my face most of the time.

• Like 1

I am on the Silver Muse Cruise on 7 December from Auckland to Sydney.   On the Silversea website there is no requirement to be vaxxed for this cruise, but the cruises after this with various dates from Dec - Feb that visit Tasmania are listed as requiring passengers to still be vaxxed.   I thought all the states had dropped the requirement.

Edited by datone

2 hours ago, datone said:

I am on the Silver Muse Cruise on 7 December from Auckland to Sydney.   On the Silversea website there is no requirement to be vaxxed for this cruise, but the cruises after this with various dates from Dec - Feb that visit Tasmania are listed as requiring passengers to still be vaxxed.   I thought all the states had dropped the requirement.

Most of the cruise lines will visit Tasmania this summer, with no mention of this requirement AFAIK.

10 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Picked up some RA tests for free, seems they will expire by February next year.  I know they aren't really needed for cruise check ins and such, but we find them useful when we return home after a trip, just to ensure we are covid free.

Our local member has had it confirmed that RAT tests (well the ones they were handing out for free) have 6 months after the expiry date. We will be doing the same, checking once we get home.

1 hour ago, Dr heckle said:

Emailed NCL VP guest relations. Very friendly reply that said they would only state current status and that is must be vaccinated. No info on why or if it would possibly change. 

I emailed them yesterday but I have not heard back.

1 hour ago, resordanis said:

Our local member has had it confirmed that RAT tests (well the ones they were handing out for free) have 6 months after the expiry date. We will be doing the same, checking once we get home.

We weren't eligible for the free ones until now that many are getting close to the use by dates, and we're given to local libraries to distribute.

17 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We weren't eligible for the free ones until now that many are getting close to the use by dates, and we're given to local libraries to distribute.

Same here, but very short date. Still good for Japan trip though.

Edited by resordanis

On 9/14/2023 at 11:07 AM, LittleFish1976 said:

I'm concerned that the arrival of cruise ships from North America in a couple of months will bring with them the seeds of the current wave of new strains they're experiencing there. Don't get me wrong I'm pro cruising but at least the testing and vax requirements were a way of monitoring the situation and making it a bit less of a free-for-all.

I'll be on the Grand for its first dpearture out of Melbourne in October - I'll be having my mask very tightly fitted to my face most of the time.

Those coming by sea will be easily beaten by the many more arriving by air.

• Like 1