No open bar on welcome back party

topaz123

Seems like alot of moaning about an event that many did not go to anyway.  Lots of old timers were already saying too crowded, too rude, etc.  Not like the old days....

Carnival has decided to cut back to what appears to be a perk on two ships??  If every one goes to the event on the other ships and leaves good feedback then perhaps that will shape the future.  Otherwise you need to just roll with the changes.  They seem to be testing the waters on their newer ships in many areas.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Seems like alot of moaning about an event that many did not go to anyway.  Lots of old timers were already saying too crowded, too rude, etc.  Not like the old days....

Carnival has decided to cut back to what appears to be a perk on two ships??  If every one goes to the event on the other ships and leaves good feedback then perhaps that will shape the future.  Otherwise you need to just roll with the changes.  They seem to be testing the waters on their newer ships in many areas.

Logistical issues, boting to do with clientele 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wemjam said:

Sadly it is the world we live in.  Everyone is entitled and cares little for those around them.

How many times do we see it on here.... people ask a question and others jump in and tell them what they "can" do not what the proper, orderly rules are.

Can I go to my room early.... "Sure I do it all the time and they let me"

And... "Here are fifteen ways to smuggle stuff on"

Can I arrive early to the terminal... "Sure I do it all the time and they let me"

And the one that frosts my cookie the worst when actually on board - "They are doing it, therefore I am entitled to also and you can't stop me" (like going to the Plat/Diamond party)

Two cruises back we were in the diamond area out in the main lobby bar area waiting for the ship to clear to disembark and of course sometimes random people would decide to sit down and join us.   A carnival agent would come along and explain they had to wait somewhere else.  I kid you not -  This one couple (and they were older not some young kids) came over and decided to stand there by us.  An agent came along and explained they had to wait somewhere else.  They just stood there.  The agent came back again and explained again why they needed to find somewhere else to wait.  Then a few minutes later I saw the agent speaking to our cruise director, who then came over and politely tried to explain again why they had to move and stood there trying to get them to do it.  This woman literally went off on him screaming - "THESE PEOPLE SITTING HERE ARE NO BETTER THEN ME, and I am going to wait right here and get off this ship when they do!"

I've been in the Diamond line at guest services and had some guy step out of the regular line and literally push his way in front of me and start screaming at the desk agent that he was in line before me and they were going to wait on him first.  My husband (who is normally very quiet and easy going, but I am sure took offense to the guy literally bumping me as he went by and then screaming like that) actually stepped up on that one.  All he did was hold up his sign and sail card (didn't say a word at first) and showed him his sail and sign card (the color) and pointed to the sign over the desk that says "Diamond/FTTF..."  The guy looked confused for a second and then my husband said, when you decide to pay for FTTF or Cruise 40 cruises like I have, then you get to use this line!"

I write down the names of the Guest Services to mention on my survey when someone cuts the lines because "they just have one question" and the crew member responds "so does everyone else, please step into line".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, our society has lost its way on so many levels, but Carnival is infamous for not enforcing their own rules.  It takes no time to check everyone’s card entering an exclusive event, but they don’t do it.  Nor do they IMHO, apply proper security to bands of roving teens late in the evening,nor the smoking of pot onboard.

years ago Carnival was known as a drunken booze cruise crowd, and it often times was.  Then they cracked down on bad behavior and became a respectable line.  Since start up, in the rush to fill ships and make some much needed cash, they became very loose in enforcing their own regulations.  Compound that with staff shortage and it was bound to happen.

we are Diamond and selectively sail Carnival but it is not our first choice by a long shot.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Yes, our society has lost its way on so many levels, but Carnival is infamous for not enforcing their own rules.  It takes no time to check everyone’s card entering an exclusive event, but they don’t do it.  Nor do they IMHO, apply proper security to bands of roving teens late in the evening,nor the smoking of pot onboard.

years ago Carnival was known as a drunken booze cruise crowd, and it often times was.  Then they cracked down on bad behavior and became a respectable line.  Since start up, in the rush to fill ships and make some much needed cash, they became very loose in enforcing their own regulations.  Compound that with staff shortage and it was bound to happen.

we are Diamond and selectively sail Carnival but it is not our first choice by a long shot.

Wow

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

It certainly does take time. Even with a herd of staff at check-in for the cruise, it still takes hours. Yes, more is checked, but still hours with a lot more staff.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Yes, but if you are a veteran they do a great party with beverages flowing and reasonably good appetizers.

I know NCL does that but when did Carnival start giving veterans a party with booze ? They didnt on the Magic in June.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

It means that you can get your free drink starting one hour before the VIFP party begins, until whenever you decide to redeem it. It doesn't mean you only have one hour to redeem it. :classic_laugh:

I am confused.  You get the voucher at the VIFP party, but you can use it as early as an hour before the party?  Are there time machines involved?

Or is the voucher delivered separately, perhaps the night before?

Doesn't really matter to me, I'm not going to be Platinum for a while, if ever...

9 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I am confused.  You get the voucher at the VIFP party, but you can use it as early as an hour before the party?  Are there time machines involved?

Doesn't really matter to me, I'm not going to be Platinum for a while, if ever...

There is no voucher. The drink credit is loaded onto your sail & sign card automatically if you are Platinum or Diamond one hour prior to the party. 😎

Edited by Jamman54
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Yes indeed...our thoughts exactly. Seems to be getting worse on Carnival....mobs of teens running absolutely wild with no regard to others. We'll still sail Carnival , but would do a lot more if they get this problem solved. Don't see this problem on Celebrity Cruise.

Edited by topaz123

28 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

We dont have vouchers now Everything is on our S/S cards. They used to be in our cabins when we first boarded. You need 75 days to be Platinum. 200 days to be Diamond. 

Gold and D/P use to go to the party. The invite would be placed in our cabins the night before by our cabin steward. For the TA from Barcelona in Nov 2013 on the Sunshine there were 200 Diamonds, 700 Platinums and 1,200 Golds. (Those numbers were unusually high back then)

They had 4 parties the day of the party. 1pm, 2pm, 3pm 4pm with no break between and no clearing out of the previous passengers. So quite a few went at 1pm and just stayed on till the end of the last one about 5pm They had a great time. In those days we had wonderful appetizers and got to order whichever drink we wanted all we could drink. 

Not long after that Carnival dropped the Gold from the party. As a Platinum I argued with Carnival that the Gold should be grandfathered in. Those who were already Gold had been to the parties and now they were cut off. Unfortunately, that never happened. The Gold were no longer part of the Elite parties.

Edited by sailingships
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, sailingships said:

We dont have vouchers now Everything is on our S/S cards. They used to be in our cabins when we first boarded. You need 75 days to be Platinum. 200 days to be Diamond. 

Gold and D/P use to go to the party. The invite would be placed in our cabins the night before by our cabin steward. For the TA from Barcelona in Nov 2013 on the Sunshine there were 200 Diamonds, 700 Platinums and 1,200 Golds. (Those numbers were unusually high back then)

They had 4 parties the day of the party. 1pm, 2pm, 3pm 4pm with no break between and no clearing out of the previous passengers. So quite a few went at 1pm and just stayed on till the end of the last one about 5pm They had a great time. In those days we had wonderful appetizers and got to order whichever drink we wanted all we could drink. 

Not long after that Carnival dropped the Gold from the party. As a Platinum I argued with Carnival that the Gold should be grandfathered in. Those who were already Gold had been to the parties and now they were cut off. Unfortunately, that never happened. The Gold were no longer part of the Elite parties.

But Golds know where and when the parties are and know they don't need an invite

DH and I are Diamonds and on ou r last two Carnival cruises (Paradise in late June and Freedom in late April) we attended both the Captain's Diamond cocktail party and Platinum/Diamond party on both cruises. We had open bars at both parties on both ships. The Diamond parties are always better because we are also served a wonderful selection of appetizers. There are usually only 20-30 people at the Diamond parties, but it seems like hundreds at the Platinum parties. We have 3 Holland America and 2 Celebrity cruises booked for the next 12 months, so no Carnival cruises in our near future. But we probably wouldn't bother to attend a future Platinum/Diamond  party if it doesn't have an open bar.

On 8/17/2023 at 7:57 PM, TreyB said:

It’s a known fact that someone could offer free turds and there would be a huge line to receive them. If they cut the turds in half people would complain about the size of the turds they were receiving. 😑

Now that you mention it, my chocolate melting cake did taste a little different last  cruise🤔

• Haha 4

59 minutes ago, Djptcp said:

DH and I are Diamonds and on ou r last two Carnival cruises (Paradise in late June and Freedom in late April) we attended both the Captain's Diamond cocktail party and Platinum/Diamond party on both cruises. We had open bars at both parties on both ships. The Diamond parties are always better because we are also served a wonderful selection of appetizers.

Are you referring to the Diamond event the first sea day which is usually a lunch ? If theres only a few Diamonds they have a cocktail party instead. 

20 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

But Golds know where and when the parties are and know they don't need an invite

CCL certainly NEEDS to go back to admission by Invite ONLY! We've, as all P/D, Gone on many  Cruises and have earned the status we're now at... So dilution of the "perks" is pretty much wrong... I have been so excited as we inch along closer to Diamond . But now? My childish ecstasy , lol at 61years old,TODAY! Is waning quickly! Oh well, life goes on.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CruisinTrkrs3 said:

CCL certainly NEEDS to go back to admission by Invite ONLY! We've, as all P/D, Gone on many  Cruises and have earned the status we're now at... So dilution of the "perks" is pretty much wrong... I have been so excited as we inch along closer to Diamond . But now? My childish ecstasy , lol at 61years old,TODAY! Is waning quickly! Oh well, life goes on.

Happy birthday.  When over half the ship goes to an “invite” it means zero to make someone bring a piece of paper

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sailingships said:

Are you referring to the Diamond event the first sea day which is usually a lunch ? If theres only a few Diamonds they have a cocktail party instead. 

The Diamond event is whenever and whatever the hotel directors decides depending on numbers of guests  

On 8/18/2023 at 3:00 PM, sailingships said:

I foresee Platinum cruisers getting the Gold treatment in the future and being dropped from the parties as well.

I'm guessing that because there are are so many Plats now since Carnival used to make it so easy to get to Platinum, that when the VIFP system is revamped they'll add another layer above Diamond similar to RCCL's Pinnacle level. They probably make Platinum a bit harder to get like maybe make it 85 to 90 days, and throw the Golds a bone by making a level between Gold and Platinum with some perk added to that level that doesn't really cost Carnival anything. 

• Like 1