Panorama Trapped by Hurricane Hilary?

Calnev1

The Panorama is stationary off of Mazatlan waiting for Hilary to pass.  No way the ship makes it back to Long Beach by August 19 for its next cruise.   I wonder how much extra food the ship carries when a scheduled seven day cruise turns into a cruise of nine or ten days or more.

Edited by Calnev1

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

Plenty of food and I'm seeing an ETA of 13:30 on the 19thh.

Lol.  No way the Panorama makes it to Long Beach by the 19th.  Unless they want to surf Hilary's eyewall.

Someone from my NYE cruise Facebook page is on the Panorama now and has said nothing about a change in itinerary due to the hurricane. Everything seems fine, he posted pics from Mazatlan yesterday and mentioned Cabo this morning. I think they are on schedule, it is the cruise departing Saturday that may have issues. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LaRue1975 said:

Someone from my NYE cruise Facebook page is on the Panorama now and has said nothing about a change in itinerary due to the hurricane. Everything seems fine, he posted pics from Mazatlan yesterday and mentioned Cabo this morning. I think they are on schedule, it is the cruise departing Saturday that may have issues. 

Hmmm.  Perhaps the Whatsinport live map is showing an erroneous position for the Panorama.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

Cruise mapper shows the Panorama north of Cabo traveling at 20.7 knots. I guess their propulsion issue has been temporarily solved. 

Yeah, Cruise Mapper appears to be accurate.  And this is the last time I use the whatsinport live map.   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LaRue1975 said:

I'm thinking the cruise leaving on the 19th will be impacted. 

7 hours ago, tonit964 said:

Oh yes.  It's hitting LA Sunday.  That would suggest they will be sailing into it head on.    It might mean missing a port 

Edited by FastShip24
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, tonit964 said:

Panorama should be able to turn around in Long Beach tomorrow without issue, but the 8/19 sailing is an issue. It looks like Panorama will have to go further west than normal to get around the storm. Tendering at Cabo may be an issue if the sea is still churned up even after the storm passes.

The 8/18 and 8/21 Radiance sailings will likely both be affected. The first sailing may be delayed coming back, the second one will likely be shortened - although the last update I saw from CBS news, the rain may be done in the LA area by Monday morning. Hopefully those currently on Radiance parked their car in a location with good drainage.

8 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

Based on this, my guess is they’ll switch to a coastal cruise up north, San Francisco, possibly Astoria Oregon and Santa Barbara. 

My only prediction is they won't ride the storm out in port. Without a waiver, they have to stop in a foreign port or violate PVSA. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

My only prediction is they won't ride the storm out in port. Without a waiver, they have to stop in a foreign port or violate PVSA. 

I thought of that too and they could stop in Ensenada to satisfy the PVSA. 
They most certainly can’t go south though.

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I think Victoria and Vancouver may be a bit too far - either that or it might wind up being the only port. Since this is a round trip cruise, they do have to come back to Long Beach unlike most coastal cruises which are one-way. Even at 20 knots you're looking at a little over 2 full days of sailing to get to Canada. Canada also has strict admissibility standards that may preclude some guests from disembarking even if they agree to admit the ship due to the circumstances.

I would think Carnival could get the PVSA waiver due to the weather. If Panorama can get around the storm they should be able to go to Mexico after the storm passes so it may not be necessary.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Congress is on recess.

And, Congress is not needed to grant an "exemption".  CBP can grant "exemptions" for voyages that violate the PVSA, but where the cause of the violation is outside the cruise line's control (weather, mechanical issues, war).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1