Saint Greg's Alaska Jewel - Live - August 28, 2023

Saint Greg

3 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

The big question is did my suitcase make it. I know it wasn’t on the flight I missed. It had to follow me with the short turnaround in Chicago.

Time for an Air Tag. It's really nice knowing where your luggage is. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

This may sound weird but depending on where your window is..I have this thing pushing into my arm.

IMG_4643.thumb.jpeg.74f636718fa3ccb0e5cdc42777c8a773.jpeg

The girl in front of me has her window further back so her arm fits in that window cup. 

IMG_4641.thumb.jpeg.cf74bd34adcc4873ed28be3bdbd50ed0.jpeg

That’s why I like SW.  I can pick my seat as I board and avoid the protruding window. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Uff da said:

Time for an Air Tag. It's really nice knowing where your luggage is. 

Seems like it would mostly be useful if the airline doesn’t even know where it’s at. The times I’ve seen them in use that wasn’t the case. I almost always fly direct though. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Seems like it would mostly be useful if the airline doesn’t even know where it’s at. The times I’ve seen them in use that wasn’t the case. I almost always fly direct though. 

Hardly any direct flights from here. By the way, we're just up the road a spell in KS. 94 here. Too hot for September. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Uff da said:

I do not think they can do no wrong. I said it was too close. I'm not sure what other flight options were available for him to be booked on, but he got the double whammy when United shut down today. 
We are all one delayed flight or one long custom line away from the same thing happening to us at any time. It has and it will again. We nor NCL can control customs or the airlines. That is just how it is. Houston customs was a nightmare for us, Atlanta was a breeze. You never know what's going to happen. 

Nothing with United affected Greg today. And someone with a brain wouldn't do a 30 minute layover with customs. Yes, things happen but this could possibly have been avoided with NCL not making that flight. At least Greg has made it home with a minor hiccup, could have been sleeping at Pearson! 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Uff da said:

Hardly any direct flights from here. By the way, we're just up the road a spell in KS. 94 here. Too hot for September. 

Heck the time I couldn’t fly direct to Cozumel I just drove to Houston instead of flying through Houston.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Riles34 said:

Nothing with United affected Greg today. And someone with a brain wouldn't do a 30 minute layover with customs. Yes, things happen but this could possibly have been avoided with NCL not making that flight. At least Greg has made it home with a minor hiccup, could have been sleeping at Pearson! 

United and Air Canada are partner airlines. He may have been able to make it home sooner on a different United flight had it not been for the shut down. I'm glad he's back too. 
By the way, I've heard NCL uses a computer to book flights. I don't know it it's true, but a person may not have done it. If a computer did do it, they need to fix the program!

• Like 4

While I have never booked air through NCL, I do book it with Princess all the time. It's a little different as they allow you to choose the flights you want. That being said, when we use their air on our December cruise, our outgoing flight was cancelled by Air Canada - the only flight available that Princess could switch us to had a 45 minute connection in Toronto. I protested and mentioned that the short time was next to impossible, but there are specific time guidelines in place as to what is allowed, and I was told that this fell within the guidelines. Since it was the only flight available, I took it and stressed the entire time. We were fortunate that everything went without a hitch and we actually got into Toronto early. It was late evening so no lines for customs - we still had to run, but we made it. Not saying what NCL did was right, but it's certainly within the air/connection guidelines (which are dumb).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Hogladyrider said:

Well now, guess that is ONE thing I do not have to worry about booking air with ANY cruise line because my other half will not fly!  Guess that settles that discussion for me anyway.

WELCOME HOME @Saint Greg!

Mine neither!  We live in NJ & in Jan are driving to Miami. We have done it several times & I know how to drive in snow if we have any.  Better than worrying about flights being canceled.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

While I have never booked air through NCL, I do book it with Princess all the time. It's a little different as they allow you to choose the flights you want. That being said, when we use their air on our December cruise, our outgoing flight was cancelled by Air Canada - the only flight available that Princess could switch us to had a 45 minute connection in Toronto. I protested and mentioned that the short time was next to impossible, but there are specific time guidelines in place as to what is allowed, and I was told that this fell within the guidelines. Since it was the only flight available, I took it and stressed the entire time. We were fortunate that everything went without a hitch and we actually got into Toronto early. It was late evening so no lines for customs - we still had to run, but we made it. Not saying what NCL did was right, but it's certainly within the air/connection guidelines (which are dumb).

When we came back from Panama through Atlanta, we had a similar experience. Customs was a breeze. We even had to collect our luggage, go through customs and turn our luggage back in (all in the same room) and I'll bet it was 20 minutes all in. Straight up to the boarding gates and boom! I was shocked how fast it was. If we didn't have to collect luggage, customs alone would have been 5-10 minutes. I'm sure it's based on these experiences and not the bad ones. lol 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JoeTec said:

Mine neither!  We live in NJ & in Jan are driving to Miami. We have done it several times & I know how to drive in snow if we have any.  Better than worrying about flights being canceled.

That's us as well. We build in a couple of extra days "just in case ". 😎

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, JoeTec said:

We lived in Central Florida for over 40 years so we drove to all the ports.  Now we are fulltime in our RV and we no longer reside in Florida so we drive to the port of San Diego which is only 2-1/2 hours from where we winter.  But I have wanted to get him to Alaska and finally it will happen, God willing, in 2025.  We are taking a 6 day repositioning cruise from San Diego to Vancouver then a 14 day cruise in Alaska from Vancouver.  More than likely we will take Amtrak back south but I have time to figure that all out.

I have a flight booked on AA for this coming November to fly to the east coast to visit family and AA has already changed my flight times once now we wait and see how many more times they change.

• Like 10