Response from Princess to email re changes

rosevew

If everyone who is outraged by the changes refuses to book with Princess all my favorite suites will be available and all the bars will be less crowded. We hardly ever use room service or order through the app and sail on Grand class ships so no Alfredo’s to be missed. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, gilboman said:

$8 for a pizza at alfredo's that i can get free at slice?

Except that the pizza at slice is similar in name only.

Different size. Different preparation. Different taste. Limited to three selections.

And no calzones at Slice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rosevew said:

If we now want to eat in Alfredo's each day on our next cruise for lunch (waiter service) it will cost us $660, not an inconsiderable amount.

Remember many ships do not have an Alfredo’s  Should I be compensated extra for being on ships that don’t have pizza or sushi restaurants?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ships that do not have an Alfredo's/Gigi's often have several times a cruise "Alfredo's at Sabatini's" where they serve Alfredo's type pizza with the same selection of toppings in Sabinini's restaurant.

Will this be continued?

If so, will this previously free lunch option now have a "nominal" charge?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rosevew said:

If we now want to eat in Alfredo's each day on our next cruise for lunch (waiter service) it will cost us $660, not an inconsiderable amount.

How often do you normally eat at Alfredos?

1 hour ago, caribill said:

Ships that do not have an Alfredo's/Gigi's often have several times a cruise "Alfredo's at Sabatini's" where they serve Alfredo's type pizza with the same selection of topings.

Will this be continued?

Probably, just ad the other pop ups get charged such as planks.

Just now, caribill said:

Ships that do not have an Alfredo's/Gigi's often have several times a cruise "Alfredo's at Sabatini's" where they serve Alfredo's type pizza with the same selection of topings.

Will this be continued?

Tried this on the Coral and it wasn't anywhere like the Pizza at Alfredo's.  Almost the same as Slice

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, memoak said:

Remember many ships do not have an Alfredo’s  Should I be compensated extra for being on ships that don’t have pizza or sushi restaurants?

You knew that when you booked, same as I knew my ship did have it

1 hour ago, memoak said:

If everyone who is outraged by the changes refuses to book with Princess all my favorite suites will be available and all the bars will be less crowded. We hardly ever use room service or order through the app and sail on Grand class ships so no Alfredo’s to be missed. 

Some are pretty much outraged by everything. Yet still continue to book and post about the next outrage.

3 hours ago, Tigrou said:

But aren't they already doing that with the various versions of the Plus/Premier packages?  Depending on when people booked, some will get the 'new' extras like 2 'casual dining' meals but some won't unless they pay extra to upgrade to the new package.

How is differentiating between those who booked their cruise before or after the changes any more difficult?  It isn't a person looking at each individual at every transaction to see what they are and are not entitled to, it's a software programme.  It can already tell who is Standard, Plus, Premier, new Plus and new Premier.  Surely it could also be told who is 'grandfathered' in for the 3 new costs.

And was probably discussed numerous times in numerous meetings. No doubt they can differentiate between before and after changes, but I suspect the tone of the meetings was ideas and way's to generate more profit. More than likely,  some young upstart wanting to move up the ladder said  excluding passengers already booked and those that have multiple bookings would be losses in the millions.

2 hours ago, rosevew said:

That's not the point though. We had that option when we booked and paid so should still have that option when we are onboard.

The point is that claiming excessive impact, just as those that claim extreme hypotheticals like what if they charge for the MDR does nothing to support your case.  

In our case we may eat there once or twice during a 7 day cruise. Actual max impact 60 or about $4.27 per person per day if our behavior is not impacted. Though more realistic is that we will just split a pizza for 8.50 making the impact $17 or $1.22 per person per cruise day.

The impact is different for each based upon past behavior.

16 minutes ago, rosevew said:

More than twice in 24 nights 

We also would be more that twice on our 21 day cruise. Typically first day lunch then an evening after a rushed port day. As previously stated, one pizza is sufficient for me and DW, so I hope we are charged just one visit. Also don't use ocean now or room service so an extra $8 if necessary, won't go amiss. I do agree this is handled poorly by not grandfathering.

Edited by Tedferg
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, c-boy said:

And was probably discussed numerous times in numerous meetings. No doubt they can differentiate between before and after changes, but I suspect the tone of the meetings was ideas and way's to generate more profit. More than likely,  some young upstart wanting to move up the ladder said  excluding passengers already booked and those that have multiple bookings would be losses in the millions.

I expect that these are more aimed at behavior than direct profit. Though the indirect impact on package sales might be more than the direct profit.

The labor savings from reduced RS orders and having more of them placed by App may be more than the revenue from the charges.

From the way these were structured the major goals were to increase package sales. and to reduce remote order demand. 

Alfredos has been unique since Princess reversed their decision to make it a charged for venue back when the Royal was launched. The other casual venues were all launched with a charge. Took Princess over 10 years but they finally implemented their original intent with Alfredos.

Edited by ldtr

33 minutes ago, caribill said:

Charging $14.99 for using the app the first time to order food/drink may be keeping up with industry standards.

What is next? Charging $14.99 the first time you use your Medallion to unlock your cabin door?

Obviously, these changes were part of the end game when the medallion was rolled out. It’s quite possible that additional medallion-based charges are forthcoming. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, caribill said:

Except on the Grand Princess which does have Alfredo's

Not the same at all. 

The only thing that's similar is the name.  Whatever menu items are the same, are not - they taste and are prepared differently. We were a one and done with Alfredo's on the Grand.

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, cheetosrevil said:

Probably, which is a waste of product and a waste of the servers time, therefore money. Eh, charge their onboard account if they can't have the decency to wait for their order. Or, tell them if it happens more than x number of times they will be charged.

Should be a two way street. If the order doesn't show in in 45min., or shows on the app as delivered even when we never got it (have had both happen several times). $14.99 OBC refund?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Not the same at all. 

The only thing that's similar is the name.  Whatever menu items are the same, are not - they taste and are prepared differently. We were a one and done with Alfredo's on the Grand.

True the menu is different and limited, but the new charge for eating at Alfredo's does not indicate there is an exception for the Grand.

So if booked at Standard fare, will need to pay if you want to eat there with their limited menu.

12 minutes ago, Musky Ike said:

Should be a two way street. If the order doesn't show in in 45min., or shows on the app as delivered even when we never got it (have had both happen several times). $14.99 OBC refund?

Only if you do not use it again during the cruise.  I suspect if someone tries it once and the order does not arrive and they go to CS and ask for a refund and do not use it again they will probably be successful in getting a refund.  If someone uses it several times has 1 problem order and asks for a refund probably not.

Edited by ldtr

1 hour ago, cheetosrevil said:

They could add a disclaimer that yes, they will deliver anywhere on the ship, but only to the location where the order was placed. If the guest is not there, the order goes back.

Only makes sense if they have a "no-show" fee charged to on board account.

20 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Obviously, these changes were part of the end game when the medallion was rolled out. It’s quite possible that additional medallion-based charges are forthcoming. 

I suspect that the changes are more because of the behavior patterns with ordering on board ship now that they are back near full capacity.  I believe that they expected order patterns to be similar to what they have seen prior to medallion where a waiter will go to a table and everyone orders at the same time and the orders are delivered all at the same time.  I suspect what they are seeing is a lot more of what I have observed, where a group each order items one at a time, within a relatively short period of time.  But which now are individual orders delivered individually since they are placed on different accounts. 

The goal is pretty clear to reduce the number of people ordering and to have more of those orders grouped into a single order.  As well as to encourage more people to step up to packages.