Taking suitcases

One place you can often store your suitcases is under the bed. If they're too large you can try opening them and sliding them under flat.

There are many videos of cabins on YouTube that will show you exactly how much space you have.

• Like 1

We typically bring 2 large and 1 medium suitcase and each have a backpack carryon. We have 3 adults, DW and I and our Adult son.  We always put our empty suitcases under the bed. We also utilize the laundry service if we are on a b2b.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, paulfoel said:

I see there no real limit but in terms of storage Im guessing its best not to take many because, I assume storage space is very limited?

Got balcony room on wonder of the seas....

We always take three 26" soft sided suit cases and they fit under the bed. 

47 minutes ago, paulfoel said:

I see there no real limit but in terms of storage Im guessing its best not to take many because, I assume storage space is very limited?

Got balcony room on wonder of the seas....

You can fit 4 suitcases under the bed for storage. No real limit, tip the porter and they will accept any number of bags. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

You can fit 4 suitcases under the bed for storage. No real limit, tip the porter and they will accept any number of bags. 

Tips aren't even required for them to take your bags, no matter the number. But appreciated.

• Like 1

I've switched to using Pelican cases for cruise travel.  The cases are almost indestructible, waterproof (they even publish buoyancy figures, if you wanted to use it as a buoy), and most have wheels.  I can leave them on the balcony with no worries.  Even pressure washing has no effect.  Several cases are perfect size for carry-on, and 3 others are exactly sized to slide in under the max size for checked baggage.  Packing for one -- a backpack (3 computers, plus accessories), a 1535 case (about 65 lbs, because it contains SCUBA and photography gear), two 1626 checked cases (right at 50lbs).  Flying first class to the port, there are no baggage charges.

5 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Tips are "required". This is not a tipping thread. 

Appreciated yes.... and we always do but I disagree that they are "required" when handing your luggage to the terminal porters.

• Like 1

Some of the older ships have lower beds.  The larger suitcases don't fit under them, and if shoved under open...they take up twice the room.  And especially annoying when the attendant has large bags of linens/towels under them.  

It was simple to just lift the side of the bed a bit, getting them under the lower outside railing support,  and then slide them in.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ashland said:

Appreciated yes.... and we always do but I disagree that they are "required" when handing your luggage to the terminal porters.

Agree....the porters work for the port authority.  They are actually paid quite well...but saying that...we still give a few bucks a bag anyway.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 3

Hearing about storing suitcases under the bed was one of the best cruising tips I ever received . I can’t tell you how many cruises I went on before I heard about storing suitcases under the bed, and just ended up stuffing them in the closet wasting way too much precious space. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

They will accept any number of bags even without tipping. 

So how much should I tip the porter for one hard side bag weighing 56 pounds, a soft side weighing 46 pounds, and 2 24 pound duffel bags? In case it matters the duffel bags are red and have a slight odor to them. TIA!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fsjosh said:

So how much should I tip the porter for one hard side bag weighing 56 pounds, a soft side weighing 46 pounds, and 2 24 pound duffel bags? In case it matters the duffel bags are red and have a slight odor to them. TIA!

A couple of bucks a bag. 

• Haha 1

On 8/20/2023 at 1:20 PM, BirdTravels said:

I never tip the porter since they don't actually do any work, but toss a bag on a cart.  They also have no care in the world how many bags you have, they just load a cart. Many places even have signs telling you not to tip.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2023 at 11:54 AM, PigsCanFly said:

We typically bring 2 large and 1 medium suitcase and each have a backpack carryon. We have 3 adults, DW and I and our Adult son.  We always put our empty suitcases under the bed. We also utilize the laundry service if we are on a b2b.

We have always had plenty of space under the bed as well.