Britannia broke her lines

kalos

Southampton’s airport is finished but can still only take a 737, which is 162 people. Understand Bournemouth is to be used.

Some people were asked to leave because of cabin location relative to broken lifeboats. If they refused, others were asked. I suspect someone did the British thing of assuming as asked that they had to say yes and never considered saying no!

Passengers we’re told that it was likely to be a Wednesday flight home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

2 hours ago, GSPG said:

Thanks.

I was wondering are you happy with that in the circumstances?

I can imagine with over 5,000 on board, there are a number who like to push the boundaries.

Reception may be busier than normal hereon in!

Britannia passenger capacity is only around 4000 when full.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kermchem said:

For those who will be flying back I can’t think of any good reason why a dedicated charter flight would need to fly back to Gatwick. Plenty of capacity to fly into Southampton. 

Southampton is a captains only landing. I believe you need extra training for that airport.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

Southampton is a captains only landing. I believe you need extra training for that airport.

Well that must have changed.  As aircrew for 16 years we used Southampton all the time and First Officers certainly did landings.  It's a perfectly normal airport.  We had a scheduled service, LGW / glasgow / Southampton / glasgow / LGW

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Southampton’s airport is finished but can still only take a 737, which is 162 people. Understand Bournemouth is to be used.

Thanks for the update .  Have you any update on Britannia's next cruise ,times of departure

if she's going ?

6 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

What happens if the captain becomes incapacitated and there is insufficient fuel remaining to go to an alternative airfield?

The First Officer lands - simples!!

Just looked it up  the typical largest plane that operates out of Southampton, the Airbus A320  holding 170

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

In fact I have never heard of a "Captains Only" airport.  Both pilots are always able to do landings.  Apart from excessive crosswinds when Captains might take control.

There are certain very high altitude airports with difficult terrains in South America which are Captain-only landing. Quito comes to mind. However, it is the airlines that impose the rule not the airports and the captain can authorise the First Officer to be pilot flying for landing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

What happens if the captain becomes incapacitated and there is insufficient fuel remaining to go to an alternative airfield?

The First Officer is a pilot too and can fly the plane! Flight plans always include alternative airports if plane can’t land at original destination and fuel is calculated for destination airport and for alternative airport plus extra to cover having to do any go-rounds. All part of pre flight checklist done by both pilots. 

highly recommend watching Mentour Pilot and 74Gear on YouTube. Mentour Pilot is a commercial airline captain. 74Gear is a commercial freight First Officer. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bronzevernis said:

There are certain very high altitude airports with difficult terrains in South America which are Captain-only landing. Quito comes to mind. However, it is the airlines that impose the rule not the airports and the captain can authorise the First Officer to be pilot flying for landing. 

Yes, that now makes sense.  It's the company, not the airfield.  Madeira is another hairy place to land.  It's a Category C and so is Genoa.  I wouldn't have thought Southampton was but could be wrong.  Hong Kong was the best ever!!

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

The First Officer lands - simples!!

Talking with the crew at Funchal the First officer as well as the Captain have "Additional training "

so would have thought any airport with restrictions would have same with their flight deck crew ?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Some people were asked to leave because of cabin location relative to broken lifeboats. If they refused, others were asked. I suspect someone did the British thing of assuming as asked that they had to say yes and never considered saying no!

Passengers were told that it was likely to be a Wednesday flight home.

Thanks for the update, always helpful.

Personally I would have politely questioned it and gently pushed back on being removed in the prevailing circumstances. I suspect however that you are absolutely correct and some would think they had no choice, depends how the letter was worded I suppose. 

Hong Honk in the old days was very hairy; looking out at blocks of flats and washing on the line as you came in to land.

I see Britannia is making a fair speed, and the weather looks lovely, warm and sunny, so I would say those on board have definitely got a better deal than those waiting for flights.  I can imagine that there may well not be space in any good hotels in Majorca at present; no doubt here will be some unhappy people there at present.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Just reading some of the comments on FB.  Unbelievable.  Exagerrations, people holding P&O entirely responsible for hitting another ship!  Absolutely pathetic.  One woman asking if her cruise in January will be affected!!

I would like make the comment, unbelievable, but it isn't😏

Avril

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Don't forget that some people like their 2 minutes of fame and enjoy the drama of it all .... sad world we live in. 

The local rags around the country will no doubt be happy to facilitate the above; all of the poor hard done to cruisers will be practicing their sad compo faces in readiness.🙄

• Like 6

5 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Just reading some of the comments on FB.  Unbelievable.  Exagerrations, people holding P&O entirely responsible for hitting another ship!  

P&O are entirely responsible,  it's thier duty to ensure moorings are adequate. YES there was bad weather unexpectedly strong wind. But it's same as if you run into back of another car there are no extenuating circumstances.  The wind was much stronger than anticipated, but that is what safety margins are for. Captain is expected to allow for the very worst that could happen.

• Like 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-66647123

Take a look at the pictures of where the 321 have been sent, looks horrendous for both food and accommodation.

For balance P&O have yet to make any comment to the BBC on the situation.

Edited by Eglesbrech
No comment as yet from P&O
  • Like 2