Positivity Required!

Claret and Blue

Please help me!

I'm on the Infinity in 3 weeks time. I've read about all the cut backs. Do I have any improvements in service, food & beverage and/or entertainment to look forward to? The thought of school dinners mashed potato with dinner every night is already causing me lost sleep. I need some positivity!

(PS can you still get a desert wine, Sauternes or Tokaji, as part of the premium drinks package?)

Many of us also feel the concerns.   While negativity has been running rampant I think it is important to go with a positive attitude and judge for yourself.     For years I have heard the Sky is Falling only to find more things were the same as I had remembered and have never had a bad cruise.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Hold to the mantra that any day on a cruise is better than a day spent at home reading about it on here:)

There will still be lots to enjoy while you relax.

If the mashed potato is not inspiring you take a look at the vegetarian menu and perhaps order something from there as well to accompany your main course...

Edited by Mark_T
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

While negativity has been running rampant

Very true-- It's too bad there there are so many trolls on CC ---

LOL--- THE best thread in a long time is the one about the round tomatoes, mashed potatoes,  the size of the lobster tails, and " did anyone else see a child in the Solarium " ? 

Ya wanna complain 'bout somthin , make sure it's serious-- like " My Waiter forgot to bring my 3 shrimp cocktails at the same time --what would you do " !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cruise Critic is equal parts extraordinarily helpful tips and insight, along with mind numbing negativity and cynicism. It's been this way for as long as I can remember. The important take away for me is that I have sailed on nine cruises with Celebrity since 2008 and I have not once found that what people complain about the mostly loudly has been true. Your mileage may vary and I won't deny that some things have changed over the years, but it hasn't changed the fact that Celebrity has consistently delivered a great cruise experience time and again. I suggest you take the doom and gloom with a grain of salt!

Edited by conquesodor
clarity
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

This post is coming at the right time for us.  We have our first ever Celebrity cruise planned on the Ascent in March and all this negativity has me very worried indeed.  We have seen this very same complaining (a lot of it fully valid) with our Disney vacation planning and we can still manage to have a fabulous time.  A lot if it is in the mindset!

• Like 4

We were on the Infinity in May/June and it had good and bad times. The food was clearly an issue but the customer service was excellent. We were on a 10 day cruise and came down with Covid on the second day. We were quarantined for 5 days. The room service, TV and internet were horrible but we were treated very well. They refunded all the excursions without an issue, even the one we went on but I ended up in the emergency room (dehydration). They treated us to a dinner in the Tuscan Grill.  

• Like 2

I think what others are saying here is right on. Some of the experiences are changing but I wouldn't say that you would necessarily notice if you are new to Celebrity. The cruise lines are always changing and evolving but I trust the product of the beautiful ships, excellent staff, good food (in my opinion from my last cruise), and a relaxing atmosphere. No guarantees of course, but I think a positive attitude will take you a long way. Plus, for good reason, folks are more likely to bring their complaints than their good times so take it all with a grain of salt as well. 

• Like 1

It's not unique to the Celebrity forum .. it's the same for the other line forums I lurk on ...

Somehow the folks who have decided cruiseline XYZ is now an unacceptable option, feel the need to spend time on the XYZ forum telling everyone else how bad it is. Maybe misery love company or just a Fear of Missing out if others book and enjoy their cruise? ... I just don't get it....

• Like 4

I am sure my upcoming cruise will still be a great vacation full of fun times and great drinks. I can’t wait to make these memories with my mom (it’s her first cruise). Will I be booking another cruise while onboard like I did last year, no. Will I enjoy myself, absolutely. 

im trying out other lines and hope to find the sweet spot of comfort to value. X is no longer giving me the value.

So things I am most looking forward to on my upcoming cruise

-my favorite scotch served by my favorite bar tender

-cafe Al bacio 

-dancing the night away (aka working off that cruise food)

-seeing great ports and enjoying hiking in Alaska 

-the mushroom risotto in the MDR

-eating lots of steak

-turn down service

-the naturalist presentations

-oh and I am so excited that bingo is back

there are lots more but those are the first that came to mind. I also look forward to making my mom work most of her way through the martini menu wether she knows it or not.

enjoy your cruise 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have been reviewing and posting on CC for many yrs and I am not a troll!

in my opinion, some of the folks who criticize negative opinions can also be quite annoying..I avoid their snarky comments.

To the OP:

best to go with a open mind and an  awareness that some of the changes will not be to one's liking....but other things may be a pleasant surprise!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Claret and Blue said:

Please help me!

I'm on the Infinity in 3 weeks time. I've read about all the cut backs. Do I have any improvements in service, food & beverage and/or entertainment to look forward to? The thought of school dinners mashed potato with dinner every night is already causing me lost sleep. I need some positivity!

(PS can you still get a desert wine, Sauternes or Tokaji, as part of the premium drinks package?)

Exactly why I never let others opinions or experiences, positive or negative have any effect on our future cruises or plans to book more future cruises. I don't care what their tier level is or how many cruises they have been on. I like reading and respect what others have to say, but...

• Like 1

We had very good meals in the MDR on Equinox back in July.  The food was plentiful and the service was great.  We also dined in Tuscan Grille and it was by far our favorite meal of the cruise.  Despite the cuts and changes, one thing that has remained constant imo is the desire of the crew to go to the ends of the Earth to make the cruise special.   

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The one constant is change.  Everywhere in all parts of life.  How you handle the change is the key to happiness.  Setting your expectations correctly helps (thanks to everyone who shares the current information).  Those planning the trip of a lifetime,etc.  might be setup for disappointments if they are not realistic.

Enjoy yourself now, in the moment, if it turns out that you can find a better experience somewhere else then take that chance to enjoy yourself. 

• Like 2

We were on Celebrity Millie for 2 weeks earlier this month. One night, I set my alarm for 2:00am so I could check in for our Oct 1st cruise leaving Honolulu. I went to Guest Relations in my PJ's and they gave me a computer so I could check in. Needless to say -  I forgot my glasses. A crew member saw me struggling to read the computer.  She turned off her vacuum and offered to help me because I could not read our passports or the computer screen.  She helped me enter all the needed info so we could get the boarding time we desired. After - we had a good laugh at my insanity to do a 2:00am check in!! Don't worry about all the negativity on Cruise Critic. Go with an open mind and a pleasant disposition. The crew will do everything to make your cruise a great one. Can there be bumps in the "road" yes - not enough that it ever turned a cruise into a bad one. Have fun and enjoy!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

I don't think anyone here is complaining about the crews. For my money they are the best there is.

Ok the only thing I had issue with on my cruise was a member of crew on Millie lol. Going in with a positive attitude that it won’t be a recurring situation. I will give the crew member a the benefit of the doubt that they were understaffed and he was struggling to cope. Also the best part of my entire crews was a different crew member. The best thing to do is go in with a positive attitude.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JLMcruise said:

We were on Celebrity Millie for 2 weeks earlier this month. One night, I set my alarm for 2:00am so I could check in for our Oct 1st cruise leaving Honolulu. I went to Guest Relations in my PJ's and they gave me a computer so I could check in. Needless to say -  I forgot my glasses. A crew member saw me struggling to read the computer.  She turned off her vacuum and offered to help me because I could not read our passports or the computer screen.  She helped me enter all the needed info so we could get the boarding time we desired. After - we had a good laugh at my insanity to do a 2:00am check in!! Don't worry about all the negativity on Cruise Critic. Go with an open mind and a pleasant disposition. The crew will do everything to make your cruise a great one. Can there be bumps in the "road" yes - not enough that it ever turned a cruise into a bad one. Have fun and enjoy!

Aloha! Thanks for the reminder. We just checked in. 

Celebrity does have some truly awesome crew members!

• Like 1