The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday August 31st, 2023

richwmn

Good morning and Happy Thursday. We had two waves of storms last night with lots of wind which made a mess of the backyard. Craig said the trash bin fell on the basil. Right now he’s cleaning it up and vacuuming the pool even though the pool guy is coming today. 

Thank you all for your prayers and condolences for my Aunt Betty. It really means a lot. 

Joy @Seasick Sailor, do you have plans for December 2024 on the Rotterdam?  I found a great itinerary that I’m interested in for our 50th. I will probably book it while on our Hawaii cruise. I know you love the Rotterdam and usually sail in December. 

The recipes look great today. I just made a type of corn salad for our company over the weekend that is yummy with black beans, corn, and avocado. Jack, DBIL, couldn’t stop eating it. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/black-bean-avocado-salsa-with-corn-recipe-2041614

My pita came out amazing Wednesday and it’s really satisfying making them. 
E227AA90-7FB2-421A-98BC-145CE91B2388.thumb.jpeg.3616ca29a5574577489a5ad7a4f61b69.jpeg

Debbie @dfish, I loved the recommendations for fish tacos yesterday, thank you. I have made them various ways but the easiest is to just sprinkle the fish with chili powder and bake them in the oven then flake as much as you want and add whatever toppings you like. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 24

I have a sunset today rather than a sunrise.  It's from my 2016 Crystal Serenity Northwest Passage cruise and August 31 was probably one of the first days that the sun set before my bed time.  It was a sea day from Cambridge Bay to Pond Inlet.

daysend31.jpg

Roy

• Like 26

@Sharon in AZ

Hi Sharon. We do not have anything for Dec 2024 yet, but we do like the holidays on a ship, so probably will book again. What itinerary are you looking at, and you don't even look 50, let alone 50 years of wedded bliss!

We leave this year on Thanksgiving morning and overnight in FLL. We board Rotterdam on 11-24 for 53 days! Panama Canal, Mexico, and round and around the Carribean. Luckily we have our neighbor swap of pups, so Oliver will have his friend Shelby to play with.

• Like 19

It's a beautiful day, sunny and 68°, and eating outside would be attractive, but I don't think I will. Trail mix is OK where it belongs. I like some memoirs but not all.

Corn salad would be OK with me as a side dish. Yet another pseudotini, although this one sounds better than most. Nebbiolo isn't grown here, although I think it could be; Red Tail Ridge Pinot Noir seems to be somewhat similar in character to today's wine. I haven't been to Manaus.

I needed to go to Target this morning, both to pick up a prescription that I will need tomorrow morning, and to deal with a shopping list that has accumulated while I was waiting for the prescription to be ready for refill. I took the scenic route, which is the shortest but not most fuel-efficient: over the top of the highest hill in the county, past a nature center, an equestrian center, and a small forest preserve, then through a county park at the peak.

The forest preserve has hiking trails, along with a sign warning about timber rattlers. I was surprised and irked a day or two ago when the local news media made a hue and cry about a timber rattler seen in a place where it wasn't welcome, in a neighboring county; the DEC relocated it to state land. What was irksome is that timber rattlers are native here, although not common, and sooner or later you're likely to see one.

closedfornoreason.thumb.jpg.a640cb7b4cc20c8065f08d436e744d50.jpg

Meal Suggestion for today - Summer Corn Salad
Drink of the Day - Peachtree Martini
Wine of the Day - 2017 Fratelli Antonio & Raimondo Langhe Nebbiolo
Destination of the Day - Manaus, Brazil Amazon

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 19
  • Haha 3

@Sharon in AZ We call the recipe you posted corn salsa and use it as a dip for tortilla chips.  It is delicious.  Also, I am very impressed with your pitas.  I am a cook but not a baker.  I think it’s because when baking you need to use precise measurements and I rarely measure when I cook.

• Like 19

Eye doctor report was good!  Some of it Amazing! 😉. The optic nerve scan showed some improvement!  To me that’s amazing and we’ll take it!  She suggested doing a trial of going off the left eye double med for a couple of weeks and watching if the pressures go up. Hoping the itching goes away.  But we should wait to do that until after cruise because we may not have reliable internet to get the self-monitoring readings. We’ll gladly take all the meds with us and keep doing what’s working until we get back and can start trying some changes. Next appt is early January!  Yay!  

@Cruzin Terri glad you caught a break!  Remember to breathe…

@marshhawk hoping the infusion goes smoothly and when you get to do your work calls that you get some sales!  It’s time!  

Beautiful pictures of Manaus!  Many thanks!

@ger_77 Sounds like a memorable wedding!  

@dfish  Good looking salads. I think I’d like to add some light seafood - shrimp, flaked whitefish like for the fish tacos, even  imitation crab. Or chicken. Great ideas, very versatile mix. My kind of yummies. 

Time to keep moving forward quietly, DH snoozing after itching too much last night. But an extra Benadryl did the trick!  Life is Good!  🌈

Everyone stay safe!  m—

• Like 22

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

I hope all our Dailyites in the path of Idalia are ok.  My SIL in Savannah was without power for 11 hours but otherwise just had small tree limbs down -- no damage that she's seen.

It's a little too cool and showery to eat outside today, many times we pack trail mix for trips especially in Yellowstone.  My Dad wrote his life memoirs (just for family).  Since he lived 101 years he had a lot to tell!

Funny quote, will pass on the red wine.  I'd love the meal, but can't eat that much corn in one sitting (raises my blood sugar more than anything else!)  I'd choose the 2nd recipe, I think, but as @dobiemom said, I don't see a recipe (?)  It looks good, wish I could have it!  Tonight will be the fish tacos recipe from yesterday.  

I'm still not feeling 100%, but happy to be holding down my food and drink.  Must get over this, we leave 2 weeks from tomorrow for the Celebrity cruise.

Sharon @Sharon in AZ My condolences on the passing of your aunt.  Even when expected it's hard.

Safe travels @Mr. Boston! Your trip and cruise sound great!

Annie @marshhawk I hope Chuck's infusion today goes well.

Terry @smitty34877 I hope the bloodwork today for your DH is good and that you get some help/ideas for his eating troubles.

Gerry @ger_77 Very interesting about the visa requirements for Canadians.  I'm sure there are some on my Nov. '24 roll call who will be affected.

Carolyn, hoping your are 100% soon.

6 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

I wanted to mention that I read on the Royal Caribbean forum that a 19 year old young man went overboard from Wonder of the Seas on Tuesday evening while off the coast of Cuba. The ship searched for 3 hours and then had to sail for Grand Cayman with a medical emergency. Prayers for the family.🙏💔

That news is so sad.  I hope the medical emergency patient is doing better now.

13 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

Eye doctor report was good!  Some of it Amazing! 😉. The optic nerve scan showed some improvement!  To me that’s amazing and we’ll take it!  She suggested doing a trial of going off the left eye double med for a couple of weeks and watching if the pressures go up. Hoping the itching goes away.  But we should wait to do that until after cruise because we may not have reliable internet to get the self-monitoring readings. We’ll gladly take all the meds with us and keep doing what’s working until we get back and can start trying some changes. Next appt is early January!  Yay!  

@Cruzin Terri glad you caught a break!  Remember to breathe…

@marshhawk hoping the infusion goes smoothly and when you get to do your work calls that you get some sales!  It’s time!  

Beautiful pictures of Manaus!  Many thanks!

@ger_77 Sounds like a memorable wedding!  

@dfish  Good looking salads. I think I’d like to add some light seafood - shrimp, flaked whitefish like for the fish tacos, even  imitation crab. Or chicken. Great ideas, very versatile mix. My kind of yummies. 

Time to keep moving forward quietly, DH snoozing after itching too much last night. But an extra Benadryl did the trick!  Life is Good!  🌈

Everyone stay safe!  m—

Maureen, that is great news about the improvement seen in the scan.  I'm glad that Benadryl helped relieve some of the itching.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

The recipes look great today. I just made a type of corn salad for our company over the weekend that is yummy with black beans, corn, and avocado. Jack, DBIL, couldn’t stop eating it. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/black-bean-avocado-salsa-with-corn-recipe-2041614

That reminds me of Cowboy Caviar.  I love that!  https://www.spendwithpennies.com/cowboy-caviar/

cowboycaviar.thumb.jpg.3cb7265bee046bf25c39757d1444299b.jpg

My pita came out amazing Wednesday and it’s really satisfying making them. 
E227AA90-7FB2-421A-98BC-145CE91B2388.thumb.jpeg.3616ca29a5574577489a5ad7a4f61b69.jpeg

Wow!

Debbie @dfish, I loved the recommendations for fish tacos yesterday, thank you. I have made them various ways but the easiest is to just sprinkle the fish with chili powder and bake them in the oven then flake as much as you want and add whatever toppings you like. 

Have a great day everyone!

That does sound nice and easy!  

• Like 17

1 hour ago, RMLincoln said:

That is absolutely WONDERFUL news.  So happy to hear it 👍 

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@Sharon in AZ

Hi Sharon. We do not have anything for Dec 2024 yet, but we do like the holidays on a ship, so probably will book again. What itinerary are you looking at, and you don't even look 50, let alone 50 years of wedded bliss!

We leave this year on Thanksgiving morning and overnight in FLL. We board Rotterdam on 11-24 for 53 days! Panama Canal, Mexico, and round and around the Carribean. Luckily we have our neighbor swap of pups, so Oliver will have his friend Shelby to play with.

Our anniversary is the 14th. Why we ever decided to get married right before Christmas is crazy, mostly we didn’t want to wait until the spring after Craig graduated from college. Stupid youth decisions.  I’d love to do the 21 day B2B but not sure if I can convince Craig to be away over Christmas again. This is the sailing. 
153A8B39-C9E8-4281-9DF9-33FBDFC8C528.thumb.jpeg.310edeaf0d2e499c67ea49c9f958ce5d.jpeg

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

@Sharon in AZ We call the recipe you posted corn salsa and use it as a dip for tortilla chips.  It is delicious.  Also, I am very impressed with your pitas.  I am a cook but not a baker.  I think it’s because when baking you need to use precise measurements and I rarely measure when I cook.

I’m sure you would be a good baker. I only started baking about 3 years ago. Some things come out good, some don’t. I think the pita are easier than cinnamon rolls. I usually don’t measure either but you get used to it when you work with baked goods. The Great British Baking Show is an inspiration for sure. Molly Yeh is another. King Arthur too. 

1 hour ago, dfish said:

That reminds me of Cowboy Caviar.  I love that!  https://www.spendwithpennies.com/cowboy-caviar/

cowboycaviar.thumb.jpg.3cb7265bee046bf25c39757d1444299b.jpg

Wow!

That does sound nice and easy!  

Yum!  That’s just chopped up finer and probably easier to eat with chips. I just made mine as a salad. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

@richwmn or any other techies that know…

One of my roll call members can’t see my signature which makes it hard for him to access the spread sheet or email me.

He has his signatures on and is using an Android tablet.  Is there some trick I can share with him?

It doesn’t make sense to me if his signatures are on but my tablet is an IPad so what do I know?  I am not techie 😉 

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, kazu said:

@richwmn or any other techies that know…

One of my roll call members can’t see my signature which makes it hard for him to access the spread sheet or email me.

He has his signatures on and is using an Android tablet.  Is there some trick I can share with him?

It doesn’t make sense to me if his signatures are on but my tablet is an IPad so what do I know?  I am not techie 😉 

Jacqui, I just logged in on my old cheapie Android tablet, using Chrome as the browser, and I can see your signature just fine. So I don't know what their problem is, if they have signatures on.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

We have a slight change of plans for dinner.  About three to four hours ago, we discovered we didn't have any water pressure, just a trickle of water.  It turns out the contractor connecting the water to the new dollar store a couple of miles down the road broke the water main.  The water was finally on a little after 5.  That was too late to get the meatloaf made and cooked at a decent time.  We'll be having grilled cheese sandwiches and potato chips instead.  The good news is, I don't have to figure out what to make for tomorrow's dinner. 😁

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Jacqui, I just logged in on my old cheapie Android tablet, using Chrome as the browser, and I can see your signature just fine. So I don't know what their problem is, if they have signatures on.

Thanks very much Vanessa.  I’ll share that with him.  

He says he has signatures on.

18 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We have a slight change of plans for dinner.  About three to four hours ago, we discovered we didn't have any water pressure, just a trickle of water.  It turns out the contractor connecting the water to the new dollar store a couple of miles down the road broke the water main.  The water was finally on a little after 5.  That was too late to get the meatloaf made and cooked at a decent time.  We'll be having grilled cheese sandwiches and potato chips instead.  The good news is, I don't have to figure out what to make for tomorrow's dinner. 😁

Lenda

OMG Lenda.  Glad it is fixed.  Wonder who has the bill - the contractor or the Dollar store?  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks very much Vanessa.  I’ll share that with him.  

He says he has signatures on.

OMG Lenda.  Glad it is fixed.  Wonder who has the bill - the contractor or the Dollar store?  

Jacqui, my guess would be the contractor.  After all, it was his crew that broke the water main.  Actually, I bet it will be his insurance company.  

I'm on my Android tablet, and I didn't have any trouble accessing your signature and the spreadsheet.  My guess is he accidentally turned off signatures.  I've done it before, and it's easy to do accidently.

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Jacqui, my guess would be the contractor.  After all, it was his crew that broke the water main.  Actually, I bet it will be his insurance company.  

I'm on my Android tablet, and I didn't have any trouble accessing your signature and the spreadsheet.  My guess is he accidentally turned off signatures.  I've done it before, and it's easy to do accidently.

Lenda

LOL Lenda, I think you are right.  I hope they repaired it and not the city because the bill will be astronomical.

thanks on the tablet.  I’ve asked him to make sure they are on - sent him 2 screen shots off and on.  I’m not a techie but I think he may be less so.  If nothing else, we’ll get it resolved on the ship since he’s bringing it with him.

The spread sheet will be converted shortly in less than 3 weeks ,thankfully.for this cruise so then it’s a non issue as long as he can download it.  LOL.  I say thankfully as it’s been one busy roll call and the spread sheet has kept me hopping.  That’s a good thing, though 😊 

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

LOL Lenda, I think you are right.  I hope they repaired it and not the city because the bill will be astronomical.

thanks on the tablet.  I’ve asked him to make sure they are on - sent him 2 screen shots off and on.  I’m not a techie but I think he may be less so.  If nothing else, we’ll get it resolved on the ship since he’s bringing it with him.

The spread sheet will be converted shortly in less than 3 weeks ,thankfully.for this cruise so then it’s a non issue as long as he can download it.  LOL.  I say thankfully as it’s been one busy roll call and the spread sheet has kept me hopping.  That’s a good thing, though 😊 

Jacqui, it's not the city that will foot the bill.  We are in the country, and the water company is owned as a subsidiary of our electric coop.  Either way, I'm almost positive some insurance company will be paying.

Lenda

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

Then we will be having the same meal tomorrow. Craig made the mashed potatoes on Sunday for our company and the meatloaf is from TJ’s. I have a late hair appointment tomorrow so needed something easy to make. 

Crazy about your water. I wonder if any businesses had problems. Glad it’s back on for you. 

• Like 9

Thanks for all the photos of today's port.

@Mr. Boston  safe travels, you will have a wonderful holiday.

@RMLincoln  good news from the eye doctor.

@Sharon in AZ  thanks for your pita photo,  reminds me that it's a  long time since I made them.

@Quartzsite Cruiser  thankful that your water supply has been restored..

We had a superb view of the beautiful big blue super moon last night.

Yesterday we visited friends of  many years, he has required hospital treatments for a few years, is now  receiving hospice care at home.

Best wishes to all on the Care List.

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Then we will be having the same meal tomorrow. Craig made the mashed potatoes on Sunday for our company and the meatloaf is from TJ’s. I have a late hair appointment tomorrow so needed something easy to make. 

Crazy about your water. I wonder if any businesses had problems. Glad it’s back on for you. 

The only businesses along the road are anothher dollar store, a rv oark and a servive station, plus a church.  My guess is the rv park gad problems.  There are a lot of homes in the area too.

Lenda

• Like 7

1 hour ago, kazu said:

This is really bizarre but it might be a possibility.  There's a strange quirk to CC's "Ignore" function and you can ignore just a person's signatures.  It seems really strange that it could be done by accident but I just tested it and it does work:

image.thumb.png.f60b80ab8a4ea25dc48e3c33fbebd385.png

The good thing is that once you get that display you can quickly undo it.  I think I used that sometimes before Cruise Critic started truncating long signatures.

Roy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3