How formal is formal on South Pacific cruises?

Korimako

2 hours ago, Korimako said:

Hi

I'll be on Majestic Princess going to Fiji, Vanuatu and New Caledonia. How formal is formal? I no longer possess any 'cocktail' dresses.

Just wear slacks and a nice or dressy top if that

is comfortable for you. It is your vacation, just enjoy.  It seems a bit more casual than in the past.

Some will be formal and others not so much.  South Pacific cruises you may see a little more tropical wear, shirts or dresses, etc.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, memoak said:

All cruises are less formal now. I haven’t worn a tie on any cruise since the restart. Heck I don’t even own a tie anymore

Funny you should say that, recently I was in our closet and saw my ties hanging there. The only time I wore them was on a cruise, not anymore and I wondered if I would ever wear one again 🙂

On 9/1/2023 at 5:55 PM, Korimako said:

Hi

I'll be on Majestic Princess going to Fiji, Vanuatu and New Caledonia. How formal is formal? I no longer possess any 'cocktail' dresses.

Formal is in the South Pacific is informal. Smart casual is fine for everyone. Shorts for men are not however. Most anything goes for the ladies.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Formal is in the South Pacific is informal. Smart casual is fine for everyone. Shorts for men are not however. Most anything goes for the ladies.

Even those shorts are becoming more common lately. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Funny you should say that, recently I was in our closet and saw my ties hanging there. The only time I wore them was on a cruise, not anymore and I wondered if I would ever wear one again 🙂

Funeral/wedding?

6 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Agree on the shorts at dinner.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Funeral/wedding?

my funeral will be a celebration! - Hats / Shorts welcome - ties must be removed

a keg at the door with red solo cups for all - Rocky Top will play - and RIP Jimmy Buffet  -  a pirate looks at forty and tin cup chalice ... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, voljeep said:

my funeral will be a celebration! - Hats / Shorts welcome - ties must be removed

a keg at the door with red solo cups for all - Rocky Top will play - and RIP Jimmy Buffet  -  a pirate looks at forty and tin cup chalice ... 

Spoken like a TRUE Vol!

5 hours ago, voljeep said:

I would attend yours.  Sounds like a blast.  I don't want a funeral - just cremate me and scatter my ashes somewhere other than a trash bin.  LOL.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You'll even get away with shorts nowadays on formal night in the MDR. You will attract some stares from those that don't like it.. up to you if that's a problem or not. Given that Princess have dumped traditional dining and gone for a much more casual approach to attract new cruisers.. it's not your problem if somebody else doesn't like your shorts. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Over from NZ said:

You'll even get away with shorts nowadays on formal night in the MDR. You will attract some stares from those that don't like it.. up to you if that's a problem or not. Given that Princess have dumped traditional dining and gone for a much more casual approach to attract new cruisers.. it's not your problem if somebody else doesn't like your shorts. 🙂 

And we’re off………..

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 9/1/2023 at 5:55 PM, Korimako said:

Hi

I'd call it Optional Formal. You don't need cocktail dresses but most people make an effort to dress a little smarter than regular nights. Shirts instead of polo shirts for men, dressy tops, sometimes with a bit of glitter, for women. We enjoy dressing up to the nines but understand that isn't everybody's ideal these days.

Wear something pretty and enjoy yourself! 

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

For me, any night is not good for shorts since they keep the AC quite low in the DR.

That's the primary reason why I don't wear shorts in the DR, although I do bring my denim jacket to stay warm every night.

36 minutes ago, triple7tahoe said:

If you are talking about then November 7th cruise on the Majestic, you will see me dressed formally on formal nights-That particular cruise is a near duplicate of our honeymoon cruise 30 years ago 🙂

We'll see you there! We'll be dressed up also, celebrating our anniversary! 🥰

• Like 1