Noise question on Vista

roberts2005

We are in a Concierge cabin on deck 9.  The design has the large TV back to back with the cabin next door.   The person in the cabin next door appears to be an early riser and play their TV loud enough that the sound comes through the wall.  This has never been a problem in many prior cruises on Oceania or other cruise lines.

Is this a design flaw in Vista?

Not sure what we can do, but do not enjoy being waken up by a neighbor’s TV 

3 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

We are in a Concierge cabin on deck 9.  The design has the large TV back to back with the cabin next door.   The person in the cabin next door appears to be an early riser and play their TV loud enough that the sound comes through the wall.  This has never been a problem in many prior cruises on Oceania or other cruise lines.

Are you in a connecting cabin? We have only had this problem with a connecting cabin (not on Vista, on Marina).

I would definitely speak to the Concierge and explain the situation. You shouldn't have to be disturbed by another passenger's television. Perhaps they could offer to move you to another cabin.

Something similar happened to us on a Celebrity cruise. After we made the Captain's Club host aware of an excessive noise problem, they moved us and we even got an upgrade. I hope this situation is resolved to your satisfaction. 

• Like 2

I have sensitive hearing and we have noticed this on at least 1 Insignia and 1 Nautica trip. But not on our other trips so ymmv. For us this was not loud enough overall to be annoying and didn't happen at all during our personal 'quiet hours' so wasn't an issue for us. 

I would  speak to  the Concierge or GM  maybe they can ask the  occupants to  keep the sound turned down until after 9 am

I am not  a morning person so this would be annoying to me

We had the same issue (amongst other noise issues) when we were on Vista in Concierge 8121 in July.  We could hear our neighbours's television and even hear them talking on their telephone.  Someone posted on an Oceania Vista forum that they had someone come to their cabin to measure the noise level from their neighbours' television.  

Noticed my last answer. It is not a connecting cabin.  It seems to be a design flaw with not enough sound proofing for these more modern televisions.   Again, not a problem during the day. Just at 5AM

Edited by roberts2005

Hopefully you mentioned the 5 A.M. noise to your neighbor and let them know it was effecting your sleep? Many people, as they age, develop hearing issues and do not even know how loud the TV might be for someone in an adjoining room. When I walked into my parents apartments, the first thing I had to do was turn down the TV so we could hear one another talk. We find O cruisers to be quite kind and considerate so being made aware of the issue, I would expect them to turn the TV down or not even turn it on so early in the morning.  When cruising, the first thing we do each morning is turn on “The Morning Show” with the CD to get days schedules of activities and any tour/tendering info. Your point about early morning noise is a valid one so we will be sure to reduce the volume on our TV in the future. 
Enjoy your cruising,

Mauibabes

20 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

Noticed my last answer. It is not a connecting cabin.  It seems to be a design flaw with not enough sound proofing for these more modern televisions.   Again, not a problem during the day. Just at 5AM

Not good

Maybe they have a hearing problem 

I make sure DH has "his ears" in before  we go out

1 minute ago, Queen of DaNile said:

We are not in a connecting cabin on Vista and can hear when our neighbors are talking or have their TV on. Not a problem but don't recall being able to hear noise in adjacent cabins on other ships.

The TV is not a problem during the day.  Just find it a problem 6 or 7 in the morning.

22 minutes ago, Queen of DaNile said:

We are not in a connecting cabin on Vista and can hear when our neighbors are talking or have their TV on. Not a problem but don't recall being able to hear noise in adjacent cabins on other ships.

Very interesting.  My wife and I have the same observation.  We are doing a B2B, and having been on the prior segment, we noticed it then, with different occupants, and now, again, on this segment.  Add to that, the noise from toilet flushes seems to be from staterooms well beyond just the adjacent ones.  Deck 9, Concierge.

5 hours ago, Queen of DaNile said:

We were on Vista (deck 9, non-connecting cabin) in August and also, for the first time on a Oceania ship, heard voices in the adjacent cabin. It was of no consequence during the day but was very irritating late evening when the woman made a daily long phone call with a raised voice and we were trying to sleep (around 10.30pm).  It was a European cruise, she was American, so the reason for the late calls was presumably the time difference.

We are just back from almost a month on Vista, a non-connecting PH. We did hear a neighbour's tv one evening when they were playing a musical show or movie loudly , so they could hear it while they sat on their deck 😞 and one day the other neighbours' (both really hard of hearing, we later realised ) yelling and having a very "heated conversation" 😬 Other than that, we had another very rude New Yorker lady close by, who took calls on speakerphone or facetime on her deck every evening (both family and work - and wow she almost never stopped over-selling her business to clients, aways the same agressive spiel) between 5 and 6.30pm, (when most people are back from a busy day ashore and trying to relax in the evening sun on their decks before dinner) at a volume only the very rudest  people can manage to sustain. My overall impression was that none of that was Oceania's fault, in that it was not a Vista design "flaw", more just a pity some self-centred folk have zero consideration for others around them.  

• Like 5

We are currently on Vista on deck 9 near forward stairs.   I am shocked at how many different levels of noise we hear - the Cruise Director announcements can be heard loudly and clearly with door closed,  people having extended conversations outside elevators, neighbors coughing, clearing throats, full telephone conversations with family and trying to get new baby to talk to them, toilets flushing in night, tv’s, phones ringing, even the piercing squeaking of one of the elevators!    I too don’t remember this on any of the other ships we’ve sailed with Oceania.

We were on first Vista voyage in May in a PH and don’t remember any noise issues.    We will move to PH on next leg (NY to Montreal) so will let you know.  

On 9/2/2023 at 2:44 AM, roberts2005 said:

We were just on Vista cabin 8048.  We had our TV playing at night...very low in our opinion and got a call that it could heard next door.  We could barely hear it while on the bed and no...we are not hard of hearing.   

We usually don’t go to bed until 11 or after, so night time is rarely a problem. Biggest problem is from those in bed pre 9:00 and up 5ish and immediately turn on tv. 

Worst scenario is when one’s bed backs the other cabin’s tv. 

Don’t dismiss the clowns that bring their own speakers to amplify the tv! Pretty crazy when people fly half way around the world hauling their own speaker system and complain about the space a sports jacket takes up! 🙄

• Haha 1

On 9/9/2023 at 1:22 AM, Mrs f. said:

We were just on Vista cabin 8048.  We had our TV playing at night...very low in our opinion and got a call that it could heard next door.  We could barely hear it while on the bed and no...we are not hard of hearing.   

Your Vista cabin 8048, according to the deck plan it is a connecting room. Right?

John