Joy riding our Idalia in Bermuda

NewPennCruiser

19 minutes ago, ellenw said:

For every lucky person, there is an unlucky one. We are supposed to be getting on the ship Monday morning! At least I am at home. We are about 2 1/2 to 3 hours from the port, and will use a shuttle service to get there. Will be contacting them in the morning to reschedule.

I feel so bad for the folks that have traveled to NYC for the Monday departure and are staying in hotels. They will need to make arrangements for another night.

I hope next time this happens to a trip of mine, I am on the end that gets the extra day. And I truly hope that the folks getting the extra day are having a great time.

Hope their sail home isn't too rough. 

Has it been made official that the Ca/NE scheduled for Monday won’t be leaving until Tuesday?    
Yes I too hope their trip back isn’t too rough.

1 minute ago, McFins said:

Has it been made official that the Ca/NE scheduled for Monday won’t be leaving until Tuesday?    
Yes I too hope their trip back isn’t too rough.

Just got a text from NCL that we go Tuesday. Said we will be getting an email.

What happened was, Idalia was supposed to be tropical depression but she strengthened overnight last night and lasted all day with high winds and surf. We were not able to see the Joy all day until early this evening- it was a white out with wind and heavy rains. 

Now we can see the Joy all lit up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Russiamomm said:

We were on that.  So disappointed to miss Bermuda.  We never got off the ship.  We’ve done those ports multiple times.  Yesterday was quite the adventure headed back North!  I have to say that I was not impressed with CCL, though.  The entire time I missed NCL.  😔.   Luckily I’ll be back “home” on the Encore next month.

My first NCL will be Escape next Sunday. I am a CCL fan, but this one just didn’t do it. I think it was mostly the port change, but I also didn’t feel there was enough going on at night. I felt like we ended up at the piano bar by default because everything else closed, and I am not a Carnival piano bar fan.

I agree about the ports. We did get off and enjoyed our beach day at Half Moon Cay. At Nassau, I got off the ship long enough to walk around the new port area then back within 30 minutes. Stayed onboard at Freeport.

Here’s a video from yesterday. Doesn’t look too bad as it was from deck 11, but those swells were big!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Lucky people! I wish that was me!!!! Extra sea day? YES PLEASE! Even if the sea are a 'rockin', I want that day.

Me Too!! Love that motion of the ocean, rock and roll! However, I can't really complain since I was aboard the Star in October 2015 when joacquin rolled across the Atlantic and we sailed almost directly through it.  I saw more casts and braces in 1 day than I'd see in ER in a couple.  Talk about ignoring what the captain advised to do.  HOLD ON!! and or stay put. 

• Thanks 1

Travelled from UK and very disappointed to see 2 amazing ports removed from the itinerary. Was so looking forward to these, more so than one or two other ports on the itinerary. The trip was a big layout but no compensation for 1 night less, extra hotel costs and 2 fewer stops. That said, I appreciate it’s all down to the weather but would have expected more from NCL. 

7 minutes ago, ian1968 said:

no compensation for 1 night less, extra hotel costs and 2 fewer stops.

I have to believe there will be some compensation of something for the reduced length of your cruise.  Keep us updated if you will as I'm assuming that decision, the messaging, will come later on.

(Sorry this screwed-up your plans, esp coming from the UK.  Agree that missing those two US ports, esp Boston, is a let-down).

Enjoy your cruise.

3 minutes ago, JGmf said:

I have to believe there will be some compensation of something for the reduced length of your cruise.  Keep us updated if you will as I'm assuming that decision, the messaging, will come later on.

(Sorry this screwed-up your plans, esp coming from the UK.  Agree that missing those two US ports, esp Boston, is a let-down).

Enjoy your cruise.

Ah, thanks so much. I know they have a lot to resolve for and this is not their priority but I hope so😊. Will keep you posted 

38 minutes ago, ian1968 said:

Travelled from UK and very disappointed to see 2 amazing ports removed from the itinerary. Was so looking forward to these, more so than one or two other ports on the itinerary. The trip was a big layout but no compensation for 1 night less, extra hotel costs and 2 fewer stops. That said, I appreciate it’s all down to the weather but would have expected more from NCL. 

I’m sorry that the weather has wreaked havoc with your cruise, especially given the  distance you’ve traveled. I suspect something will be forthcoming from NCL by way of compensation. 

In the meantime, enjoy the unexpected time in New York. Plenty to do there! And enjoy your cruise — you still have some terrific ports. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turtles06 said:

I’m sorry that the weather has wreaked havoc with your cruise, especially given the  distance you’ve traveled. I suspect something will be forthcoming from NCL by way of compensation. 

In the meantime, enjoy the unexpected time in New York. Plenty to do there! And enjoy your cruise — you still have some terrific ports. 

Seems some people have not read the details in The email. Disappointment, yes, but compensation for loss of day and port fees seems fair.

8 minutes ago, Norway97 said:

Seems some people have not read the details in The email. Disappointment, yes, but compensation for loss of day and port fees seems fair.

I’m on that cruise and I don’t think that’s fair since I will incur an extra night hotel stay and meals. NCL should throw in some FCC.

Just now, gmbhardy said:

I’m on that cruise and I don’t think that’s fair since I will incur an extra night hotel stay and meals. NCL should throw in some FCC.

don't forget to contact your travel insurance company. Keep all receipts for any expenses incurred due to the delay.

1 hour ago, ian1968 said:

Email says they will prorate the cruise (including prepaid gratuities) for the lose of the one day.  Also said they would reimburse port taxes for Portland and Boston.

Seems fair since there is nothing they can do about it.  I am not one to blame and demand stuff when it is based on weather.

Not saying you are either, but some folks amaze me with demands in cases like this.

• Like 4

Good news, Joy is on her way, thrusters sideway and leaving Dockyard now at 11:50 AM local BDA time and the Faithful (tugboat) port side to guide her thru the narrow & shallow coral reef channel - we're on that route last May when seas were calm, unlike this run.

BDA's Marine Forecast - 

Today - 

Winds north-northwesterly 15 to 25 knots gusts to 30 knots, easing 12 to 18 knots towards evening...  Isolated showers with mainly fair visibility. Swell along with possible rip current and dangerous seas diminish... Seas inside the reef 3 to 6 ft... Outside the reef 10 to 16 ft, decreasing...  Sunrise: 6:55 am.

Passing along indirect info from someone booked on tomorrow, now Tueday's sailing to Quebec, Canada on the modified New England route, edited with key details only. 

... Still disembarking in Quebec City a week Wednesday. Getting a prorated refund as they have their own place in (locally in NYC). Others are not so lucky. NCL will pay up to $300/person for airline change penalty. If you flew in independently and booked your own hotel, you are out of luck. NCL will only covers those booked airfare/hotel thru them.

9:04 AM

BTW NCL called to offer additional 15% all cruises for the balance of 2023.

IMHO, these are times where travel/trip insurance as one choose to obtain or take chances & ignore and go "self insured" ... during the peak hurricane season.  Maritime weather/storm systems beyond NCL's immediate & direct control.  I know, prices are higher this year than in years past and sailings are still going basically full.  It would be better if NCL would extend that 15% discount beyond 2023 but that is what it is. 

Off-topics slightly, just talk our nieces in not booking 2 cabins to sail the short 5 days Bermuda route this December on the Getaway, but if one has vacation time and/or otherwise can go, prices aren't that "bad" - instead, they booked 2 balconies days ago to do 10 days on the Getaway with a day at Dockyard, for not that much more - combined with a 15% discount.

Edited by mking8288

1 hour ago, StingBeanz said:

Currently on the Joy, Captain on about fifteen minutes ago. We are going to depart at 1130 hours local time and are due for 0700 arrival in Manhattan on Tuesday, September 5th.

I hope you have a good sailing back to NYC 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eppler said:

Email says they will prorate the cruise (including prepaid gratuities) for the lose of the one day.  Also said they would reimburse port taxes for Portland and Boston.

Seems fair since there is nothing they can do about it.  I am not one to blame and demand stuff when it is based on weather.

Not saying you are either, but some folks amaze me with demands in cases like this.

Thanks, I did not see that in the email initially but happy with that. Disappointed to miss 2 stops but that’s just the way it is and we will make the most of the trip 😊