Suspicious email from Princess

Dannyski

On Sept 2, 2023, I received an email from  noreply@princesscruises.com about a sailing we did in May, 2022. It contained a PDF attachment purportedly about a final statement and possible upcoming settlements. I have not opened the email. The attachment is titled with the correct booking number. Is it safe to open the attachment?

IMG_6690.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dannyski said:

On Sept 2, 2023, I received an email from  noreply@princesscruises.com about a sailing we did in May, 2022. It contained a PDF attachment purportedly about a final statement and possible upcoming settlements. I have not opened the email. The attachment is titled with the correct booking number. Is it safe to open the attachment?

IMG_6690.jpeg

That looks very normal as a final statement from your cruise.  You probably meant you cruise was May 2023?

We usually get these statements in just days after the sailing.  

However, many have been reporting lately, those final statements have been arriving, months after the cruise. It seems as though the accounting dept. has been very far behind,

or outsourcing?  No clue there.

Looks very typical of a final statement, with noreply email, princess.com hyperlink and showing your booking no.  I would not hesitant to open.

Had you made an inquiry about this cruise in the past?

It may have been forwarded to you in that case.

BTW, welcome to CC!  

Edited by PacnGoNow

We to had this email recently with a PDF of our account from a cruise we took in May this year. It is legit and is from Princess and like already stated it appears the accounting department has a very large backlog and there are delays in sending out these final accounts.

Even as good as an email like this looks, before you click on any attachments or links, it's a good idea to see exactly the email address of the sender is.  It's very easy to make a legitimate looking email, and maybe even the grammar and spellings look good, but the return address will give away the bad guys.

• Like 4

We received three emails like this from Princess for a 21 day cruise we were on in June.  They said the cruise was sold and booked as a 21 day cruise but it was actually three 7 day cruises and that Princess accounting was sending out three different folios to make their books correct.  We received one folio on the ship for 21 days so nothing changed except it is just more confusion coming from the "I Like This Boat!" new regime at Princess.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PapaGoose said:

16 months after your cruise? As inefficient Princess sometimes can be, I would be cautious with this pdf! Is there anything on your account in the Princess app?

I’ll check my account in the Princess app. Thank you! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

That looks very normal as a final statement from your cruise.  You probably meant you cruise was May 2023?

We usually get these statements in just days after the sailing.  

However, many have been reporting lately, those final statements have been arriving, months after the cruise. It seems as though the accounting dept. has been very far behind,

or outsourcing?  No clue there.

Looks very typical of a final statement, with noreply email, princess.com hyperlink and showing your booking no.  I would not hesitant to open.

Had you made an inquiry about this cruise in the past?

It may have been forwarded to you in that case.

BTW, welcome to CC!  

No, the cruise was completed in May, 2022. … 15 months ago. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Dannyski said:

No, the cruise was completed in May, 2022. … 15 months ago. 

That’s a new one on me. Could it have just fallen through the cracks, and they put it back in queue to be sent out?  They were extremely short staffed after the restart in late 2021 and 2022. I think it just resurfaced and was sent out.

Did you email or call for reimbursement, refunds or a statement for this cruise in 2022?

If so, that could be the reason it got lost and now appeared.

You don’t have to open it, up to you.  Looks legit to me.  You said you verified the sender’s email address, by hovering over the email address line on a PC, I assume. 

You don’t owe money, or they would not wait 15 months! 😜

Well, I got three of these last week for the cruise we took two months prior on the Emerald.  One each, for me, wife and daughter.  I opened them and they were indeed our end of cruise folios. 

There's another older, more active thread that is hashing this out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JGmf said:

Well, I got three of these last week for the cruise we took two months prior on the Emerald.  One each, for me, wife and daughter.  I opened them and they were indeed our end of cruise folios. 

If you still have your emails, would you check the exact verbiage used, including the work banks or bank’s in the last paragraph?

TIA

1 hour ago, Dannyski said:

IMG_6690.jpeg

I just found one of my recent cruises.  It is the same as your wording.

Quote:

We’re so happy that you sailed with us. We hope your vacation brought you closer to the people you traveled with and the destinations you visited.

Enclosed you’ll find a summary of your onboard charges. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at https://www.princess.com .

Any remaining authorizations will usually be released in less than 14 days, depending upon your banks policy.

Thank you for choosing Princess.

46 minutes ago, JGmf said:

Disregard looking for a statement.

I found a recent statement and it has the exact wording as the OP.

We both received the same this morning as well.  My initial reaction too was one of caution but they were legitimate and from our May 2022 Panama Canal Cruise.  We'd received the same in 2022 after I'd requested the info from customer support, not getting one in email after our cruise.  Pretty delayed, I'd say 😉

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

If you still have your emails, would you check the exact verbiage used, including the work banks or bank’s in the last paragraph?

TIA

I got this exact same email (including the missing apostrophe) on 23 August for a cruise that ended on 8 July this year. It's legit - my email provider showed the attachment details without me having to click a link or open a document. It was my final account.

Did you print out/screen shot your final statement while on board?  Did it match your credit card card/statement?  If both are yes, then just delete the email/pdf.

Continue to check your credit card statement for any post cruise transactions from Princess for a few months.  

• Like 2

There must have been a weird glitch. Many, many people have posted that received these emails. We got them too. It’s the normal email that is usually sent out a day or two after your cruise.

Edited by Torfamm

3 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

There must have been a weird glitch. Many, many people have posted that received these emails. We got them too. It’s the normal email that is usually sent out a day or two after your cruise.

Maybe they are stuck in the wrong year!🥴

8 hours ago, Dannyski said:

IMG_6690.jpeg

You may want to hover your cursor over the sender's name at the top of the email. Then click the tiny dropdown arrow that will appear to the right of the sender's name. Doing so will provide you with the real email address of the sender. If it's from a "princess.com" domain then you are good. 

It you see some wonky and unexpected email address, steer well clear of the attachment.