Bar liquor availability

Jim and Monika

Hi,

We will soon be sailing on Oceania again. The last time we sailed, they were changing prices of the packages and changing items. I recently looked at what should be available on Insignia,  and they only listed the Premium Liquors and Wines. The pricing of those liquors probably puts them out of the Prestige  Package, not sure why because they aren't really that expensive in real life, just allocated.

My question has do do with another upgraded package being available to include some of these options.

Ron Z rum is ok, but better than the other Rums, Blantons is also better than the other Bourbon.

1 hour ago, Jim and Monika said:

Hi,

We will soon be sailing on Oceania again. The last time we sailed, they were changing prices of the packages and changing items. I recently looked at what should be available on Insignia,  and they only listed the Premium Liquors and Wines. The pricing of those liquors probably puts them out of the Prestige  Package, not sure why because they aren't really that expensive in real life, just allocated.

My question has do do with another upgraded package being available to include some of these options.

Ron Z rum is ok, but better than the other Rums, Blantons is also better than the other Bourbon.

Huh?

This question is NOT as unclear as it might seem.  It seems that Oceania has got a lot of "New" guests booking in the future.  I am one of them.  We are clear on how OTHER brands do their drink policies.  Many have drink packages that have a $15.00 limit including tip, and have recently increased beverages to over $15.00 like Bailey's and Crown.  It forced us to purchase the Upgrade to the Beverage Program which some brand make available.  Just another cost cutting approach.  

When that is what you are used to, you ask this type of question.  I asked it myself, using different words.  There is no clear answer.  Where the information I got simply confirms drinks by the class and wine served by the glass is included in the package, really HIGH END Cost drinks are not.  Easiest Example is a very high end Whisky or Scotch.  

Unofficially, one unnamed source shared with me the drink cost limit was $20.00 including tip if it was purchased separately.  I can not confirm or deny that as fact.  Seems reasonable though. 

A little side note for flavor.  I used to buy the upgrade to the drink program for NCL.  It was called the "Premium PLUS Drink Program".  It "Used" to be great and I would be drinking Tequila 1942 and French champagne  for my entire cruise.  Then NCL changed the rules.  Part of cost cutting. My recent trip my wife could not find even a low end Chardonnay. So one of my question in the past was about wine availability and bringing wine onboard. NOTE: I have had these question answered many time and I am Crystal CLEAR

Now tie back to the OP's question.  It should make more sense now.  OP feel free to clarify.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

5 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Unofficially, one unnamed source shared with me the drink cost limit was $20.00 including tip if it was purchased separately.  I can not confirm or deny that as fact.  Seems reasonable though. 

Historically I can deny this. I've purchased plenty of doubles on the Prestige package that were in excess of $30. Has it changed recently? That I don't know. In the past here is the rule "If it's on the Bar Menu it's part of the Prestige Package". Cost doesn't figure in. 

So are you saying his question is "Is there another package beyond House Select and Prestige?"

If so, the answer is no. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ORV said:

So are you saying his question is "Is there another package beyond House Select and Prestige?"

If so, the answer is no. 

@ORV Exactly, we all are creators of habit and know only what we know.  That is why I asked the same question months ago.  All I knew is what I knew.  That is also why I said "Unofficially" in my post.  Your post makes complete sense and it will help the OP and all new folks like myself as well.  Thank you.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Let’s not forget to take taxes into the picture if we are including tips - as tax changes dependant on port/country rules. This would change the upper ceiling on what could and couldn’t be ordered. 

This could run and run 🙂

4 hours ago, ORV said:

Historically I can deny this. I've purchased plenty of doubles on the Prestige package that were in excess of $30. Has it changed recently? That I don't know. In the past here is the rule "If it's on the Bar Menu it's part of the Prestige Package". Cost doesn't figure in. 

If so, the answer is no. 

We’re in Regatta now. No difference from the past. We no longer do the Prestige Package - we bring our own wine and get plenty of free spirits opportunities and/or twofers.

That said, however, yesterday I got a double side car with Cognac, Cointreau and fresh lemon juice at Happy Hour. It was $14.00. Someone else, with Prestige package, ordered a similar higher end multi-booze during - no extra cost for it.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

We’re in Regatta now. No difference from the past. We no longer do the Prestige Package - we bring our own wine and get plenty of free spirits opportunities and/or twofers.

That said, however, yesterday I got a double side car with Cognac, Cointreau and fresh lemon juice at Happy Hour. It was $14.00. Someone else, with Prestige package, ordered a similar higher end multi-booze during - no extra cost for it.

I think at "Happy Hour" drinks cost 50% of what they normally would ??  SO yours should have cost $28 + service ??  Is this right ??

12 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

I think at "Happy Hour" drinks cost 50% of what they normally would ??  SO yours should have cost $28 + service ??  Is this right ??

No - at happy hour it is buy one and get one free so he paid $14.00 for his first drink and the second drink, of the same cocktail, was free..

• Thanks 1

And if you only want one - full price ??

Frankly this alcohol business is making me think we should not be on Oceania...  OR we can just drink in our suite (with the 6 bottles that are free...). It is too complicated.

I was planning to get the "full" drinks package ($30 pp/day) in addition to the 6 bottles in the suite.  If a calvados isn't included in that package it is probably a "deal breaker".  But what about Bloody Marys and Margaritas ????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Frankly this alcohol business is making me think we should not be on Oceania...  OR we can just drink in our suite (with the 6 bottles that are free...). It is too complicated.

I was planning to get the "full" drinks package ($30 pp/day) in addition to the 6 bottles in the suite.  If a calvados isn't included in that package it is probably a "deal breaker".  But what about Bloody Marys and Margaritas ????

Huh?
The basic higher end Side Car I ordered is normally $14. A double during Happy Hour is still $14. There are only a very few single malts and cognacs that are not available at Happy Hour pricing or as part of the Prestige Package.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

If you only want one then it is $14  for the same drink  or whatever the price is for the drink you order

Check the bar menus  listed in this thread  most are included in the Prestige package

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2904150-riviera-new-bar-drinks-menus-and-prices/

Do the math before you upgrade

it is not  complicated

• Haha 1

I am sympathetic to the OPs question.  We cruise many different lines, and each line's drink packages have their own idiosyncrasies.  Trying to get an idea whether it pays to upgrade (or purchase) a drink package a reasonable issue.  I will admit to also having questions/concerns about the new O program (which we have) and just what kind of booze/wine we get if we upgrade the drink package.  And by the way, just knowing there is a price limit (i.e. $20 per drink) is not a good answer.  What does what get for that limit, and do you just pay the difference for items above that price?

Hank

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I am sympathetic to the OPs question.  We cruise many different lines, and each line's drink packages have their own idiosyncrasies.  Trying to get an idea whether it pays to upgrade (or purchase) a drink package a reasonable issue.  I will admit to also having questions/concerns about the new O program (which we have) and just what kind of booze/wine we get if we upgrade the drink package.  And by the way, just knowing there is a price limit (i.e. $20 per drink) is not a good answer.  What does what get for that limit, and do you just pay the difference for items above that price?

Hank

Why not wait until onboard to observe all the prices and availability and then if you want to upgrade, do it at that point? It may help make it a bit clearer on what route may work best for you. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Check the bar menus in the link I posted above   at this point in time there is no price limit  or drink limit

Most drink on the bar menus are under $20 anyway 

Some top  scotches/Cognacs/sake  in the specialties may not be included

The Premium Drink Menu is not included

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

We have had both O beverage packages and on the upgraded beverage package, there was never a $$$ limit on the cost of the drinks.  The SM beverage packages are no different than the OLife beverage packages.  The wonderful thing about O is the price is the package price is the same whether you pre-purchase or purchase on board (upgrade from Select (now included with SM) must wait until onboard) and you can wait a few days to study the bar menus and your drinking habits to decide if it is worthwhile.  You are only charged the upgrade fee from that day forward.  Since there is no $$$ limit, then there is no "pay the difference" option.  If you order a high end liquor not included in the Prestige package, you pay the listed price plus tip for the drink.  

Edited by basor
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

There is no price limit. There’s only a handful or two of top shelf Cognacs and Single Malt Scotches that are not included.

As for the wine: both packages (basic mealtime and prestige anytime) have the same list of available wines-by-the-glass. The list varies over time and is composed of mostly USD retail cost at home of $10-15 with an occasional $20+\- bottle in the mix.

IMO, the prestige package is best if you want higher end double cocktails. As for wine, we mostly bring our own and pay the $25 corkages for any wine we take out of the cabin. Pouring personal wine and carrying the glass to public venues is not allowed unless you pay the corkage for the bottle from which it came.

Hardly complicated: 

Basic: cheap wine by the glass at meals

Prestige: same wine and mostly unlimited spirits all day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, EJL2023 said:

Why not wait until onboard to observe all the prices and availability and then if you want to upgrade, do it at that point? It may help make it a bit clearer on what route may work best for you. 

That will likely be our strategy, although we are watching to see how "O" plays out their new pricing strategy.  The usual question comes down to whether our drink habits justify the cost of a package vs just paying by the drink.  Since I normally will drink 4 -6 drinks on most cruise days (more when on sea days) the packages usually make sense with a 3 drink break-even.  What we found annoying with some lines was the practice of setting a drink price limit and then imposing the full price (not just the difference) if one wanted to order a higher priced product.

As to what products are available, it does little good to whine about the lack of product.  One needs to adapt to what is available or perhaps settle for a glass of water :).  One reason (of many) that we enjoy Seabourn is that there is none of this drink package BS.  Everything is included (except some very premium products) and the selection is usually quite broad.  On the other hand, when recently on HAL, they did not have a single Cognac covered by their drink package.  The only cognac that "would" have been covered (Courvoisier VSOP) was out of stock (and had not been stocked for over 6 months).  Drink packages can look good on paper, but booze lists are worthless when many of the items are not even stocked.  It costs very little extra ink to toss all kinds of products on wine and booze lists...even if they never exist on a ship.

Hank

• Like 1

Where is this idea of a price limit coming from? Mentioning it like it's something happening, which it's not, only serves to add more confusion. This is not MZ's site where every other post is incorrect information. Let's not turn it into that. 

• Like 3

The issue of "Prestige Wines" (mentioned by Flatbush Flyer) is interesting and not surprising.  Even at the highest end (luxury lines) the everyday wines (such as what is served in the MDR and readily available at the bars) are usually so-so items that generally retail for no more than $20.  Folks that expect luxury lines to pour Chateau Lafitte Rothchild at dinner are going to be very disappointed.  Some lines do not even offer a list of included available wines, and the sommeliers just come around with a few bottles (often a red and a white).  If one wants something else, they will than suggest some other available items (which they must then go find).  At times it reminds of a somewhat old-school Italian restaurant called Don Peppe (in Queens near JFK) where the waiter comes over, and in a gruff voice says, "Red or While?")  And these are not folks with whom anyone quibbles :).  

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

That will likely be our strategy, although we are watching to see how "O" plays out their new pricing strategy.  The usual question comes down to whether our drink habits justify the cost of a package vs just paying by the drink.  Since I normally will drink 4 -6 drinks on most cruise days (more when on sea days) the packages usually make sense with a 3 drink break-even.  What we found annoying with some lines was the practice of setting a drink price limit and then imposing the full price (not just the difference) if one wanted to order a higher priced product.

As to what products are available, it does little good to whine about the lack of product.  One needs to adapt to what is available or perhaps settle for a glass of water :).  One reason (of many) that we enjoy Seabourn is that there is none of this drink package BS.  Everything is included (except some very premium products) and the selection is usually quite broad.  On the other hand, when recently on HAL, they did not have a single Cognac covered by their drink package.  The only cognac that "would" have been covered (Courvoisier VSOP) was out of stock (and had not been stocked for over 6 months).  Drink packages can look good on paper, but booze lists are worthless when many of the items are not even stocked.  It costs very little extra ink to toss all kinds of products on wine and booze lists...even if they never exist on a ship.

Hank

well just wait until onboard  & ask if your favourite tipple is in stock 

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

The issue of "Prestige Wines" (mentioned by Flatbush Flyer) is interesting and not surprising.  Even at the highest end (luxury lines) the everyday wines (such as what is served in the MDR and readily available at the bars) are usually so-so items that generally retail for no more than $20.  Folks that expect luxury lines to pour Chateau Lafitte Rothchild at dinner are going to be very disappointed.  Some lines do not even offer a list of included available wines, and the sommeliers just come around with a few bottles (often a red and a white).  If one wants something else, they will than suggest some other available items (which they must then go find).  At times it reminds of a somewhat old-school Italian restaurant called Don Peppe (in Queens near JFK) where the waiter comes over, and in a gruff voice says, "Red or While?")  And these are not folks with whom anyone quibbles :).  

Hank

Oceania’s package wines-by-the-glass are on a menu found on the table in many dining and bar locations. 
Each restaurant has an extensive bottled wine list and, in any venue, you can request the “bin end list” of bottled wines which is constantly changing and has discounts of up to 30% on stock O wants to unload to make room for new arrivals. This list is alway changing segment to segment.

On the bigger O ships, O gets extra use of the LaReserve space by having “wine bar” evenings where you can purchase “flights,” glasses and/or bottles and enjoy complimentary hors d’oeuvres. If glasses of wines (singular or in a “flight”) are not on the regular package wines list, you’ll have to purchase them.

• Thanks 1