Comparing Crystal and Silversea

tipsygirl

Pre Covid, we sailed Seabourn and Crystal, with more sailings on Crystal. We took a spontaneous trip on Silver Moon in July as we had wanted to try Silversea.

We had a lovely stateroom, very much in line with Seabourn staterooms. Crystal cannot compare for opening price staterooms. We had good food for the most part on Silversea, but, the food did not compare to Crystal in our opinion. The service was very good, but was missing the level of warmth we found on Crystal. The included and one paid excursion were good. Enrichment and entertainment were far superior on Crystal. Other than the small Salt cocktail lounge, the others seemed empty on Silversea. We never found a good pre dinner cocktail routine.

If itinerary and relative pricing were the same, we would choose Crystal (have not sailed new Crystal), then Seabourn and third Silversea. It is certainly nice to have a larger stateroom and newer ship, but Crystal has been a wonderful total experience for us. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tinaincc said:

As a former executive at a major Credit Card, I have a hard time booking a cruise with the thought that the cc would have to cover it. 

I’ll never trust Crystal again: they lied and said our money was in escrow when it was not. Yes, they have “new” ownership but old ships that don’t compare to some new offerings. Excited to try SSea and find out for myself.

My recommendation is to make either the Nova or the Ray your first SS cruise.

We have enjoyed our SS (3 + two booked) and Crystal (7) cruises going back to 2014.  We had 3 booked in bankruptcy limbo with Crystal (one charge back, one insured, and one lost forever).  My DW refuses to sail with Crystal until we get our money back.

We enjoyed them both.  Thought the food was better on Crystal, the cabins better on SS.  I think Terry's point is right on.  Two Crystal ships versus multiple classes from small Shadow, to larger Nova/Moon/Ray to the Expedition fleet including the former Crystal Endeavor.  This equals limited itineraries for Crystal.

If really wanted to sail Crystal (and I do) where would I go??  The 2023/2024 cruise ports are so vanilla.  All of the three majors (SS,SB and RSSC) have several sized vessels that can do the vanilla ports but also the small Greek islands or the Dalmatia coast, or a round about of Japan -- I do not see Crystal doing any of this.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

We have enjoyed our SS (3 + two booked) and Crystal (7) cruises going back to 2014.  We had 3 booked in bankruptcy limbo with Crystal (one charge back, one insured, and one lost forever).  My DW refuses to sail with Crystal until we get our money back.

We enjoyed them both.  Thought the food was better on Crystal, the cabins better on SS.  I think Terry's point is right on.  Two Crystal ships versus multiple classes from small Shadow, to larger Nova/Moon/Ray to the Expedition fleet including the former Crystal Endeavor.  This equals limited itineraries.

If really wanted to sail Crystal (and I do) where would I go??  The 2023/2024 cruise ports are so vanilla.  All of the three majors (SS,SB and RSSC) have several sized vessels that can do the vanilla ports but also the small Greek islands or the Dalmatia coast, or a round about of Japan -- I do not see Crystal doing any of this.

Agree with your sentiments and your DW’s “pledge”. I found Crystal’s good to be great but limited in the number of restaurants. Now I have heard they have specialized even further.

Does it help SS at all that they have so many options per ship? Just curious while we await our first SS voyage! 

4 minutes ago, Alpacalady1 said:

I appreciate that Crystal is all inclusive,  no bill to settle for drinks ,  snacks and dining

Unless you want to go to a specialty restaurant a second time.  Not complaining, just saying that 'all-inclusive' is never totally inclusive on any cruise line.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Observer said:

“All inclusive“ is a very ambiguous term.  Silversea includes tours in every port, with no charge.  Crystal.AFAIK does not.

That was a change that was not applauded universally by Silversea customers, because they felt the fares increased to cover the new cost and most well-seasoned travelers prefer to design their own shore activities.  At least Silversea did it very well – the included excursions on my upcoming NZ-OZ cruise are many and nicely varied so we will not have to pay for too many optional ones; Viking Ocean OTOH has such basic excursions on the included list that we didn't take advantage of any.  I actually preferred Oceania's à la carte approach, which ensured that every non-included option was top quality because it had to compete for your dollars; sadly O has now abandoned that and become Regent-lite.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

That was a change that was not applauded universally.....

Are any changes in cruise line policy/practice ever applauded universally?  🙂

As I recall, the Crystal decision to include alcoholic drinks in the cruise fare was the source of much controversy.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Unless you want to go to a specialty restaurant a second time.  Not complaining, just saying that 'all-inclusive' is never totally inclusive on any cruise line.

Never charged for a 2nd or 3rd visit to prego or umi if they had space, no charge

Just booked jan 5th voyage and got a welcome surprise of 2900.00 credit even after our refund 

Whoo hoo. Can't wait

Edited by Alpacalady1
Misspell

1 hour ago, Alpacalady1 said:

Never charged for a 2nd or 3rd visit to prego or umi if they had space, no charge

Just booked jan 5th voyage and got a welcome surprise of 2900.00 credit even after our refund 

Whoo hoo. Can't wait

With the old Crystal you weren't charged if you were in a Penthouse or higher. Now you have to be in the Junior Crystal Penthouse or the Crystal Penthouse to get included specialties after the first time in each.

Every line has it’s own personality- same has ship’s, each is it’s own and really depends on the crew you have and what you expect and want.  I think you need to experience yourself.  What is wonderful, great, super service is how and what “YOU” experience- everyone has a different experience on the same ship.

We did one cruise on Crystal and one on SS so far (two more booked), so obviously a very small sample. However, based on this sample:

Service comparable, slight better on C.

Food comparable, slightly better on SS.

Cabins much better on SS.

Enrichment and entertainment much better on C.

Overall, I would say they are comparable as an overall package (depends what is more important to you), BUT (and this is a big BUT): current prices on C are not competitive in my opinion. Entry level cabins start both around $500 USD per day, but entry level on C is 210 sqft and on SS 305 sqft, so to get a more accurate comparison, you need to go to the next category on C and it is much more expensive. Not to mention that SS includes excursions and C does not.

Personally I believe you cannot go wrong with either of them, and we gladly book both given the right itinerary and price.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 10:50 AM, Texas Tillie said:

With the remodeling of the Crystal ships, I don't think the comparison on size "works". The Symphony is now 606 passengers, basically the same as Muse, Dawn, Moon and Spirit. The Serenity is 740 passengers, basically the same as Nova.

I came back from the Serenity 2 weeks ago and the food, service, entertainment and enrichment was much better than my experience on the Muse last December. I'll be on the Nova at the end of this month to give Silversea another chance.

For anyone who sailed on the old Crystal, the new Crystal is as good as ever. 

Expecting to hear from the usual suspects telling me that my opinions are not valid but theirs always are.🤪

For one who never sailed Crystal, can you give me a short comparison of cabin/bathroom size?  I seem to remember small cabins was an issue on Crystal but could be mistaken.  TIA

1 hour ago, mitz18 said:

For one who never sailed Crystal, can you give me a short comparison of cabin/bathroom size?  I seem to remember small cabins was an issue on Crystal but could be mistaken.  TIA

Both Crystal ships were extensively remodeled after the former owner of Silversea bought the ships and the name. The space where many of the smaller cabins (low 200s sq. ft. not counting balconies) became 300 plus to 400 plus sq. ft. cabins. There are still a small number of the smaller cabins on both Symphony and Serenity. I have done just one Silversea cruise vs. around 40 with old and 1 with new Crystal and my opinion is Crystal is superior in every way other than cabin size. This is the Silversea board, I don't expect anyone here to agree with me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Crystal just released 2025 itineraries. European sailings of 10-12 nights start at $600 USD per night for OV 215 cabin, and $900/night for 323 sqft veranda.

Those guys live in a fantasy world. But with only 2 ships and so many hardcore fans, they might be able to fill the ships, who knows. 

2 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Crystal just released 2025 itineraries. European sailings of 10-12 nights start at $600 USD per night for OV 215 cabin, and $900/night for 323 sqft veranda.

Those guys live in a fantasy world. But with only 2 ships and so many hardcore fans, they might be able to fill the ships, who knows. 

Different strokes for different folks. You know what they say about opinions!?! 🤪😉😵

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Different strokes for different folks. You know what they say about opinions!?! 🤪😉😵

Those prices are not opinions, they are facts. And the simple fact is that before Covid Crystal prices were significantly lower than SS/SB, for a good reason. Now they are significantly higher. And Crystal 2025 prices are 20% higher than 2024 prices.

I wanted to try the new Crystal, but there are so many equally good options around at significantly lower prices.

Edited by ak1004
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Those prices are not opinions, they are facts. And the simple fact is that before Covid Crystal prices were significantly lower than SS/SB, for a good reason. Now they are significantly higher. And Crystal 2025 prices are 20% higher than 2024 prices.

I wanted to try the new Crystal, but there are so many equally good options around at significantly lower prices.

If you think all things are equal on what you are comparing. My experience is that Crystal is far superior to Silversea on food, service, entertainment and enrichment. This is the Silversea board so I don’t expect anyone here to agree. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

If you think all things are equal on what you are comparing. My experience is that Crystal is far superior to Silversea on food, service, entertainment and enrichment. This is the Silversea board so I don’t expect anyone here to agree. 

Even on SS board, there are many people who sail on different lines. For every person who finds Crystal superior, you will find equal number of people who prefer SS,SB etc. 

I agree with you about entertainment and enrichment. However, we found the service and food comparable. And for port intensive itineraries, entertainment and enrichment are less important.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Agreed - with limited dining option in comparison  with other newer ships I am surprised at the price point. They must be relying on the paddleball courts and family-like service to bring in their loyal customers.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

Agreed - with limited dining option in comparison  with other newer ships I am surprised at the price point. They must be relying on the paddleball courts and family-like service to bring in their loyal customers.

Great above points and questions.  As mentioned earlier, for our interests and desires, we seek a combination of interesting itineraries and reasonable value/pricing.  

There are too many smaller-ship, non-mass market sailing options available that we will compared and evaluate accordingly.  We are not going to pay too much to "float-on-a-boat" because of nice past memories.  

It's about what you are offering, where you are going for today and the future, etc., etc.  Most consumer these days are good comparison shoppers.  Right or wrong?  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

PS:  I am appreciate of Texas Tillie dropping by here, posting background and experiences, etc.  All of us have our own priorities and opinions.  Good to hear a wide range of views and details.   

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 248,737 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

I've sailed with Crystal pre-Covid 3 times, and hope to do another one with new Crystal late next year or in 2025.  And I've sailed with Silversea pre and post-Covid 6 times, and have another one booked for Japan early next year.

There are many things to like about them both. In my opinion, Crystal does some things better than SS, SS does some things better than Crystal, and some things are similar. Therefore, I believe it is a stretch to say that Crystal is "far superior" to Silversea on food, service, entertainment and enrichment. At least, that has not been my experience.

• Like 3