Bringing Booze on board from a port

shiner6

16 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

There was no X-ray on the ship. Nothing after customs. Just security eyeballing pax. The wouldn’t have any idea what was in a backpack or bag. 

that answers my question, you got lucky.  I usually get the eagle eye while standing in line. Then as I get closer to the machine , they start to salivate. The x- ray operators get a big grin on their face as my parcel passes through. No sooner I pass the vertical metal detector, there's a uniformed man/woman  waiting for me. Nine times out of ten it's one that's never gets invited to anyone's parties, has more hair on her lip then I do and is into B&D. I get asked to walk over to the partitioned area were the inquisition will take place. Just remember if your offering an explanation and you hear the words " it's too late for that" .  You should consider calling family members, work, your attorney .... 

• Haha 8

20 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Did you?  
I would have finished it waiting in line!😂

It made it onto the ship, no questions asked. All gone now. It wasn’t anything special, just a local screw top merlot/cab blend. I thought we should try a BC product while we were there. 

Edited by BamaVol

I was on Regal for the August 24th sailing. Returning from Belfast I had a full size bottle of Bushmills in my backback. It breezed right though the scanner. In Iverness I purchased a sampler of scotch and that made it past the scanners. A friend who was sailing with us also had the same experience. I had no plans to open anything onboard. We had the bev pkg. Maybe it was the gray hair. 🤣

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, BamaVol said:

Oops, I did it again. 4 pack sampler of Alaskan beers from the liquor store right at the Ketchikan dock. Went through x-ray but no naughty table set up. 

IMG_3562.jpeg

You should be ashamed of yourself. 

• Haha 3

In most cases, especially if you visit a port in which there is a number of shops selling alcohol, there will be a desk when you arrive back at the ship that will take the alcohol, and send it to your room, usually the night before you are expect to disembarck.

In ports where there is limited selling of alcohol, the ship may not bother with this process.

In St. Thomas, many stores will offer to send the alcohol directly to your ship, and again it is usually at your cabin the evening before you disembarck. 

On 9/6/2023 at 8:53 AM, warthog2608 said:

I brought a bottle of Dictador 20 year rum from Cartagena back onboard the Ruby Princess. It was taken by the person at the alcohol check in desk and I was given a receipt. That was the last time I saw that nice expensive bottle of rum. The last night of the cruise I got an apology card stating that my bottle had been misplaced. In lieu of the Colombian rum they gave me a bottle of some rot gut Australian rum that had an odor like the hotel room with the indoor pool. Misplaced eh?  I'm sure it went someplace, someplace I'd like to be.

Well, I learned my lesson. During a port call at Cozumel we took the ferry over to Playa Del Carmen to visit my favorite liquor store, La Europea. I bought a $180 dollar bottle of Havana Club 15 year rum. It seems I somehow completely forgot about checking in the bottle and just walked past the alcohol check in table. (Like the roach hotel, bottles check in but they don't check out) 

YMMV

I would of reported it to security, as a crew theft

On 9/4/2023 at 12:20 PM, shiner6 said:

What are the rules concerning bringing back a bottle of Rum or a bottle of wine or beer from a port?  Do they store it for you and then return it when you disembark?

Thank you for your help if you have had personal experience with this in the past.  There is some conflicting advice out there and I would like to clarify if possible.

We bought a bottle of rum in Barbados and Princess took it, stored, and returned before disembarking.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/4/2023 at 1:20 PM, shiner6 said:

What are the rules concerning bringing back a bottle of Rum or a bottle of wine or beer from a port?  Do they store it for you and then return it when you disembark?

Thank you for your help if you have had personal experience with this in the past.  There is some conflicting advice out there and I would like to clarify if possible.

50% I put bottle in my BackPack sometimes yes sometime no..its a crap shoot.  Brought a Bottle of wine in my hand one port????

• Like 1