LIVE Insignia NY to Bermuda 9/6-9/13

rxlowry

56 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

I have read that some people get the steak and lobster without the roll.

@SATaxman Blasphemy, I will eat every piece of bread onboard.  That is why we have dieted and done so well.  My wife told me not more cruises unless we go onboard at our lowest weight so we have ROOM to GROW.  Positive motivations works for me.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, rxlowry said:

We made it to the ship! Traffic was heavy at the Holland Tunnel but after arriving at a near empty parking deck, everything was a breeze.  Security and check in was ten minutes total and most of that was walking!

We had a fast muster check in and we took the stairs up four flights to have lunch.  We opted for Waves Grill for lunch.  It was super hot but well worth it.  We each had the surf and turf sandwich and it was outstanding.  Very quick service for the Prosecco as well.  The buffet was very crowded so even though it was hot it was a good call. 
Next mission was to upgrade the beverage package which was a little bit of a wait.  
Now to break it in at Martinis with a Negroni for him and Aperol spritz.  
Ahhh…vacation mode engaged. 

IMG_4657.jpeg

IMG_4667.jpeg

Hi, can you tell me how much does it cost to upgrade the drink package? And, do both people of the same cabjn have to upgrade, or can just one person upgrade? Thanks.

• Like 1

Just now, CCBB said:

Hi, can you tell me how much does it cost to upgrade the drink package? And, do both people of the same cabjn have to upgrade, or can just one person upgrade? Thanks.

I was told 30 dollars a day and it is ok if only one of you wants it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, SATaxman said:

Yes, that's true.  But the roll is very good!  I suggest ordering it as is, and trying the whole thing.  I always have it several times onboard each cruise.   It's always delicious!  (Even if I don't eat ALL of the bun.)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Twiga said:

Yes, that's true.  But the roll is very good!  I suggest ordering it as is, and trying the whole thing.  I always have it several times onboard each cruise.   It's always delicious!  (Even if I don't eat ALL of the bun.)

Since I don't eat beef I just get the lobster.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SATaxman said:

There are many variations 😀

choose your combination & they will do it 

Lobster  hold the steak & roll

lobster/steak hold the roll

• Like 3

9 hours ago, CCBB said:

30 a day and they asked how many in cabin

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, BSR said:

@rxlowry Can't wait to try the surf and turf sandwich.   What kind of martini do you have?  Looks good. 

It was Sunny Riviera but he not have mango purée so he used blueberry.  It was a very sweet drink but very fresh tasting.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@rxlowry You literally made my day. My wife and I have been on Keto losing weight and I have not had BREAD in a very long time.  My cruise on Oceania is in 60 day and I am taking your lead on the Waves Grill.  Thank you for responding while on your vacation.  Much appreciated.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

This is where Oceania really shines. Waves is the best outside grill type set-up we have experienced on any cruise line (including Crystal). Keto would be super easy there, too. It is definitely a must.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Surf & Turf sandwich, hold the bun, is my go-to.
You can tell the order-taker that you will eat indoors (Terrace Cafe) and he/she will give you a number to put on your table and bring it to you.

Enjoy your cruise and hope the pending weather misses you and Bermuda!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, rxlowry said:

My husband and I give this grill the edge over Crystal.  In addition to steak and lobster…quality bread, fries and sauce. 

Just to add my 2 cents...

We really did love our one Crystal cruise, the biggest disappointment was they just don't do casual very well...in our humble opinion.  The meals we had in Waterside (MDR) or any of the waiter served restaurants were excellent!  The disappointments were the Marketplace (Buffet), and Trident Grill (Pool Grill like Waves).  The Trident grill menu was pretty uninspired given the price point, and nothing available cooked to order in the Marketplace like in the Terrace Cafe.  

• Like 2

To the OP...

Thank you for taking us along, we got off Insignia as you got on.  Besides the horrible weather we had, and missing St. Georges, overall we had an excellent cruise and were glad to be back onboard Insignia.  I hope you enjoy the cruise as much as we did!

• Like 1

Great dinner last night in Polo Grill.  I had reservations about it due to reviews of how they cannot seem to cook a steak to desiring temps.  Not the case for us…both a fine medium rare.  
We had a sharing table with a very nice couple.  I’m glad because the service was slow.  It took 30 minutes to place our orders.  We were seated at 7:30 and left at ten!  
Didn’t get to see show but we will hopefully make it tonight to see the comedian.  
Tried three times to upload pic.  No dice.  But I will post tons of pics and more stuff in general on blog.  Just wrote first day but might have to wait to post that due until better connection.  Alpacamybagsblog is where you can find that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had breakfast at buffet today.  Food tasted great.  My eggs Benedict was very under (white was soup) but the quality of ham was lovely. A little miss in technique but they were busy. 
Played trivia and joined a fun group.  Second place!!
Lunch was a home run though.  Ate in MDR. Shared Taste of World Mexico and loved it!  Chris had grouper and I had power bowl.  We also sampled the Elvis the Fat Year ice cream. 
Followed by some writing, shuffleboard, bean bags and putting. 
now I’m trying the Big O

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, rxlowry said:

...Tried three times to upload pic.  No dice....

You might want to visit the LINK center folks on Deck 14 and talk about uploading at sea.

Possible problems:

• AFAK, Insignia doesn't have Starlink yet, so your problem *might* be the ship being connected via an old, narrow bandwidth, geosynchronous satellite, and *might* get better when you get farther south *if* Insignia shifts to a faster, MEO satellite.    ...meanwhile try uploading at 3am when the competition for bandwidth is hopefully asleep.  😞

• Alternatively, O's basic plan blocks connections to "streaming" ports at the far end.  What port does your upload method target?

• Like 3

Another great dinner I’ll talk more about but one of our topics we discussed was what was the menu before the “cutbacks”.  Did they fill the pool with caviar?  Quality has been great to us.  I’ve wanted to nitpick them and I’m struggling.  I’m becoming a believer that they do spend more per passenger than any cruise line.  Day two and I’ve had lobster three time plus some great canapés and starters tonight.  And dessert…wow.  
Time for comedy with Cory Kahaney

IMG_4814.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1