Flights USofA to Europe Prior to Transatlantic

mrlevin

I have been told by Delta that I will need to show "proof" of return "trip" from Europe at check in before I leave Austin.  I am anticipating just using paid invoice for the Barcelona to Miami booking.

What have others shown at checkin?  Were there any issues?

thanks,

Marc

We have had this happen on AA.  We just said we had a one-way as we were taking a TA from Southampton/Rome.  They never asked to see the cruise reservations, but I always have hard copies of all reservations handy.

On 9/6/2023 at 10:09 PM, mrlevin said:

I have been told by Delta that I will need to show "proof" of return "trip" from Europe at check in before I leave Austin.  I am anticipating just using paid invoice for the Barcelona to Miami booking.

We always have the boarding passes for our TA available when we check in at the airport.  We've been asked for proof, but mostly not.

7 minutes ago, Flgreg said:

Somewhat off topic but we are on Splendor in November--Barcelona to Miami. We're US citizens so I assume we'll have to go through customs when we arrive in Miami?

Yes, you'll need to process through U.S. Customs and Border Protection upon arrival.

13 minutes ago, Flgreg said:

Somewhat off topic but we are on Splendor in November--Barcelona to Miami. We're US citizens so I assume we'll have to go through customs when we arrive in Miami?

Greg, It might actually be earlier on Dec 1, when we arrive in San Juan, PR.

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2023 at 7:09 PM, mrlevin said:

What have others shown at checkin?  Were there any issues?

thanks,

Marc

Interesting… I travel with one way tickets to and from Europe all the time and have never been asked this. I would think the Regent ticket / invoice should suffice 

Yes, it's done in San Juan....we've done this before and I *think* the immigration folks came onboard and we were called in groups to the show lounge to get clearance.  You showed your passport and then were either given a card to show as you exited the ship as proof you had cleared.   Or they might have put a little sticker on your ship card to serve same purpose.

On 9/7/2023 at 4:48 PM, Lonedaddy said:

the worst is when you get the dreaded "SSSS" instead of TSA Precheck.  Happens with one way tickets.

On round trip tickets, too. I had it happen to me in Vienna on a flight back home. According to the security staff there, TSA wanted Austrian security to do a check on me. If you can’t check in on-line, that could signal a problem. Go to the airport extra early. 

1 hour ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

On round trip tickets, too. I had it happen to me in Vienna on a flight back home. According to the security staff there, TSA wanted Austrian security to do a check on me. If you can’t check in on-line, that could signal a problem. Go to the airport extra early. 

There are several possible triggers one ways, certain countries visited in the past(e.g. turkey) but it can be a pain and I wonder what crazy protocols they use that an old guy like me with global entry triggers ssss

Last time I took a transatlantic was a few years ago Rome to Miami. The following year I flew back to Rome via Madrid. While doing EU immigration in Madrid an overzealous agent took me to task because he could see in my passport a stamp for entering the EU the prior year, but not one for exiting. I explained that I had taken a transatlantic cruise back to the US and my passport had not been stamped when exiting the EU. He even called the supervisor and both proceeded to interrogate me . They finally let me go, the whole thing was very nerve wracking, I almost missed my connection. 

1 hour ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

They told me it was random, for whatever that is worth. 

We just flew back from Turkey, and got there via a flight from Romania, and didn’t get the 4S. 

Keeps us on our toes, I guess. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

It is supposed to keep people from knowing what the protocol is so the evil ones can avoid it.  It is not absolute: if one way (or turkey), then automatic SSSS.  Those are just some factors that probably put you in a more likely pool to be selected.