Trying to Get Information from Calling HAL

mcrcruiser

Already have spoken with 3 HAL representatives who do not have the answer .The last one gave me a phone number but they are not open yet . BTW ,we were on hold for 20 minutes as well . Also trying to get their web site to respond & it says  Bad something ot other 

Wondering how many of our companion cruisers are runing into these fifficulties ?

Edited by mcrcruiser

12 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We have a TA handling our affairs with HAL as well as the other cruise lines we deal with so we don’t run into these types of issues. 

We have a TA as well . However ,there are questions that come about that we expect HAL reps to know the answers .  It  i s frustrating  when neither the HAL reps on the phone & then the web site is down as well 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We have a TA as well . However ,there are questions that come about that we expect HAL reps to know the answers .  It  i s frustrating  when neither the HAL reps on the phone & then the web site is down as well 

I agree but I am learning to just go with the flow!!  I was on hold for at least 30 minutes today trying to get my OBC for AARP.  After all that time, and speaking with a supervisor, was told "2-3 more days".  It has already been 48 hours, then 72, then one week, etc.  I have been dealing with it for over 3 weeks now.  I prefer to handle it myself but will get my TA involved after these "2-3 more days".  It's only $100 but that can almost pay the crew appreciation so I am not giving up.

I do feel like the phone reps could be more helpful and the website can be frustrating.  But, I am also grateful to be able to cruise so I will just keep trying!

Good luck with resolving your issue.

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

If you are using a TA, you should be funneling your questions through the TA, no matter how minute they might be. That is why the TA is earning their commission.

• Like 7

I do not think the "information gap" is exclusive to HAL.  We have run into similar issues with just about every other cruise line (Seabourn is about the only exception).  I do think folks need to understand that most of the time you call a cruise line (any cruise line) you get a customer service rep, who is generally sitting in a cubicle, with 1 or 2 large computer screens.  Most of the time they will simply input your questions into their system and read you the "script."  If they cannot find an appropriate script, you may well get an incorrect or worthless response.  If you can get your issue elevated to a supervisor, they also rely on scripts although they generally have a little more experience, and you have a better chance of getting a good answer.

Call again and you will get a different customer service rep and likely a completely different answer.  Using a decent cruise or travel agent has many advantages.  For example, we currently use two different agents from two different high volume discount agencies.  One of those agents has over thirty years experience (and all kinds of certifications) in the cruise and travel industry and the other has 12 years (also with several cruise/travel industry certifications).  If they do not have the answer, they know who to contact to get the answer (or can make constructive suggestions).  

The truth is that many of the folks here on CC are far more expert on their favorite cruise lines (and travel) than just about anyone you will get by calling a cruise line.  Tis sad...but true.

Hank

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

I do not think the "information gap" is exclusive to HAL.  We have run into similar issues with just about every other cruise line (Seabourn is about the only exception).  I do think folks need to understand that most of the time you call a cruise line (any cruise line) you get a customer service rep, who is generally sitting in a cubicle, with 1 or 2 large computer screens.  Most of the time they will simply input your questions into their system and read you the "script."  If they cannot find an appropriate script, you may well get an incorrect or worthless response.  If you can get your issue elevated to a supervisor, they also rely on scripts although they generally have a little more experience, and you have a better chance of getting a good answer.

Call again and you will get a different customer service rep and likely a completely different answer.  Using a decent cruise or travel agent has many advantages.  For example, we currently use two different agents from two different high volume discount agencies.  One of those agents has over thirty years experience (and all kinds of certifications) in the cruise and travel industry and the other has 12 years (also with several cruise/travel industry certifications).  If they do not have the answer, they know who to contact to get the answer (or can make constructive suggestions).  

The truth is that many of the folks here on CC are far more expert on their favorite cruise lines (and travel) than just about anyone you will get by calling a cruise line.  Tis sad...but true.

Hank

Yes it is sad but true Hank . when I can not get a positive response I do not take any risk is my   plicy .we are in the process od changing TAs . We found a good one that is more responsive that the one at present . Our cruises  are not complicated .We  must book early to get the handicap balcony we want . We may or may not add Club Orange to the booking .That is about it ,so we also qualify for the early booking benefits & AARP member for the OBCs ,Than we add CCL stock benefit as we can . 

Cliff

7 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Yes it is sad but true Hank . when I can not get a positive response I do not take any risk is my   plicy .we are in the process od changing TAs . We found a good one that is more responsive that the one at present . Our cruises  are not complicated .We  must book early to get the handicap balcony we want . We may or may not add Club Orange to the booking .That is about it ,so we also qualify for the early booking benefits & AARP member for the OBCs ,Than we add CCL stock benefit as we can . 

Cliff

These days, folks who book early, may well find that what existed at the time they booked, is not the way it is the day they embark :(.  This has become an issue on the Princess board because of that cruise line's many changes (in packages and onboard) in the past few months.  For example, the popular Alferdo's restaurant (a pizza/Italian venue) has always been completely free until the last few weeks.  Than suddenly, Princess decided to charge money for that venue, except for folks that purchase certain packages.  But than Princess increased the price of those packages and did not fully grandfather folks who had previously purchased.  In some cases, they have told some of those folks that can upgrade their packages (for $10 per person/day) to get certain benefits such as a free Alfredo's...which had been included at the time they originally booked.

It is not just cruise lines.  A few years ago, we used to stay at a Myrtle Beach resort (1-2 weeks a year).  We booked that resort (non-refundable deposit) with certain expectations/promises such as daily maid service.  After we booked, the resort decided to change to maid service twice a week.  For those who still wanted the daily service (which existed when they booked) it was still available for $40 per day....extra!  My goodness, on our recent HAL cruise we expected to have the Lincoln Center Stage for an entire 6 week cruise.  But HAL ended the entertainment (cancelled the contract) 2 weeks into our cruise and that venue remained dark for the last 4 weeks.  The precedent is concerning.  Will a future cruise include new charges to use the tender, enter the MDR, for ice tea?  Who knows.

Hank

Hank if this happens then people would have the right to cancel for a full refund imo  .Drastic changes are premeditated  & even could be sued in court . After all there are cruisers rights as well .At least  a small claims court could  make that decision 

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Haha 1

Hank another thing that could backfire on any cruise line is the impact that people have on xocial media ,  Huge changes gurting twhat people had orginally paid for  imo would reallt back fire  long term & not in the cruise lines favor  or even perhaps a low Yelp rating .Imo there is no business that  hurts the public purposely should stay in business 

14 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Hank if this happens then people would have the right to cancel for a full refund imo  .Drastic changes are premeditated  & even could be sued in court . After all there are cruisers rights as well .At least  a small claims court could  make that decision 

Wow. This went downhill faster than a a flying comet.  Court, small claims, and cruisers rights....yikes.  How about getting yourself a reliable PCC and then maybe your life can be without worrying about court.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Hank another thing that could backfire on any cruise line is the impact that people have on xocial media ,  Huge changes gurting twhat people had orginally paid for  imo would reallt back fire  long term & not in the cruise lines favor  or even perhaps a low Yelp rating .Imo there is no business that  hurts the public purposely should stay in business 

To add, social media is useless.  I was in business for myself and any negative rating was seen as sour grapes.  Laughable, really.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Oh boy...premeditated changes...I am going to sue!

Get hold of   yourself . question is if any company sells on the pretence to get the sale & then changes the product & will not refund the customers money ,then yes the customer has the right to sue for  a change in terms of sale . It is iillegal to do  bait & switch 

6 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Already have spoken with 3 HAL representatives who do not have the answer .The last one gave me a phone number but they are not open yet . BTW ,we were on hold for 20 minutes as well . Also trying to get their web site to respond & it says  Bad something ot other 

Wondering how many of our companion cruisers are runing into these fifficulties ?

Just want to agree with @albingirl. Call the PCC number, just hold until someone picks up. Even if the person who answers isn't a PCC they'll either know or find out the answers. I've never been on hold for such a long time at that number.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, albingirl said:

Wow. This went downhill faster than a a flying comet.  Court, small claims, and cruisers rights....yikes.  How about getting yourself a reliable PCC and then maybe your life can be without worrying about court.

Hank  was ralking about a company selling their product one way & after the customer buys that product on the premiss that is what they will get but changes it enough ,it becomes a bait & switch , There are many consumer laws that protect people from bait & switch 

This is not down hill this is reality

FWIW we   never would use a company PCC . Iy has been my experience one time that a cruise line sold us the cruise on a non cancerable  deposit but did not tell me it was a non cancerable deposit . Once burned . We do a whole lot better with TAs 

Edited by mcrcruiser

7 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Just want to agree with @albingirl. Call the PCC number, just hold until someone picks up. Even if the person who answers isn't a PCC they'll either know or find out the answers. I've never been on hold for such a long time at that number.

We do not use PCC ,see my response to her

1 minute ago, mcrcruiser said:

Hank  was ralking about a company selling their product one way & after the customer buys that product on the premiss that is what they will get but changes it enough ,it becomes a bait & switch , There are many consumer laws that protect people from bait & switch 

This is not down hill this is reality

FWIW we   never would use a company PCC . Iy has been my experience one time that a cruise line sold us the cruise on a non cancerable  deposit but did not tell me it was a non cancerable deposit . Once burned . We do a whole lot better with TAs 

But, evidently not lately.  Bummer.

4 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Then try what happens ro a company  when a Yelp rating does south 

Yelp ratings factor not at all into my business decisions.

Meanwhile, what are your actual questions? Perhaps someone here can answer them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, hrhdhd said:

Yelp ratings factor not at all into my business decisions.

Meanwhile, what are your actual questions? Perhaps someone here can answer them.

Even the cruise line could not answer the question with 3 different people . One gave me a phone number that was disconnected , I learned to rely on my own instincts 

7 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Even the cruise line could not answer the question with 3 different people . One gave me a phone number that was disconnected , I learned to rely on my own instincts 

I think you were asked what was the question you had?  And that someone here might help you. People here are generally smart and savvy and very willing to help fellow cruisers.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Get hold of   yourself . question is if any company sells on the pretence to get the sale & then changes the product & will not refund the customers money ,then yes the customer has the right to sue for  a change in terms of sale . It is iillegal to do  bait & switch 

The contract you agreed to allows them to make changes.  So any lawsuit would come down to whether the contract is enforceable.  And the cruise line paid expensive lawyers a lot of money to write those contracts so they would be enforceable.  So by all means, take your shot and sue and let us know how it turns out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

I must just be lucky because the 2 times I've had to call HAL, once for customer service and once for the ship inventory dept, I was on hold for under 5 minutes and both took very good care of me.

Now if only they could get that website fixed . . .

• Like 2