Bath robes in public areas

CocktailPrincess

20 minutes ago, CocktailPrincess said:

we are going on a Norwegian cruise and its going to be a bit chilly on deck, but would like to use the hot tubs, would it be acceptable to walk from our cabin to the hot tubs in our robes, to stay cosy outside?

I would not walk through any food areas. 

Having seen quite a few people in bathrobes on deck for an Azamara "White Nights" party, we wouldn't be taken aback by anyone heading to the hot tubs wearing bathrobes over their swimwear. Others may have a different attitude😉

• Like 3

As inferred there will always be differing opinions on the appropriateness of wearing them outside of your stateroom in public venues.  Certainly to and from hot tubs, spas, pools, and other similar venues should - IMO - not be objectionable, and in our experience we see done all the time. Naturally there would be other obvious indoor venues where it likely should not be done.  But I would ask why someone would want to wear a bathrobe there in the first place?  In other words, common sense should prevail.

• Like 1

lol.....lol.......

Remember one of the first few sailings on the QM2 we were in the La Pizzaia - King Court part.

Saw a lady with a Shower Cap and Pink Bathrobe on walking thru there while everyone was eating. No one said anything but everyone she passed was a gassed by the sight. On Deck 7 there, not sure where she was headed to...

WOW....the sights you see sometimes unexpectedly....

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, CocktailPrincess said:

I did say not dining areas 

I did not say that you did....

Breakfast is not an uncommon place to see the bathrobes with PJ's underneath.

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CocktailPrincess said:

I would not walk through any food areas. 

I totally appreciate and thank you for saying that. 

Maybe I’ve just been lucky, but I haven’t seen too many people in bathrobes in food areas. Maybe that’s why I was so taken aback a few years ago during our first HAL cruise when I was getting lunch in the buffet and a guy walked up to the serving station in a bathrobe. I was stunned. It was so inappropriate. 

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Breakfast is not an uncommon place to see the bathrobes with PJ's underneath.

The only cruise line I have seen that was Carnival.  I couldn't believe my eyes.  Is it that hard to throw on a pair of leggings and a t-shirt??

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I totally appreciate and thank you for saying that. 

Maybe I’ve just been lucky, but I haven’t seen too many people in bathrobes in food areas. Maybe that’s why I was so taken aback a few years ago during our first HAL cruise when I was getting lunch in the buffet and a guy walked up to the serving station in a bathrobe. I was stunned. It was so inappropriate. 

Yes very inappropriate, i wouldn't dream of it.

I think I can see a route from our cabins to the pools where we pretty much just in lift or cabin corridors.

It's your cruise. Enjoy yourself. If you want to wear a robe, wear a robe. If you're dining, well, just be sure you're in line with the dress code so as not to force an awkward conversation with staff. I hate putting crew in the place of enforcing the dress code (I'm a wear my PJ's to breakfast kind of guy, btw). 

Biggest tip...don't care what others think about your dress. 

40 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Very few people wear bathrobes outside their personal cabins.  Don't be that person.  Obviously no one will "confront you", but people will look and judge.  Bathrobes aren't for public view.  

I'm just not sure how to use a hot tub in 12degree weather without something warm to put on... what would you suggest instead?

Obviously I don't want to do anything that is bad ettiquette, but equally I want to use the facilitys.

It wouldn't be an issue in summer as you would just wear a sundress or a cover up over swimwear.

Looking at the deck plan there are no changing rooms near many of them, as there are 24 hot tubs dotted around the ship

24 minutes ago, CocktailPrincess said:

I'm just not sure how to use a hot tub in 12degree weather without something warm to put on... what would you suggest instead?

Wear your dressing gown, plenty of people do, I certainly would if I used the hot tubs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, CocktailPrincess said:

Exit the tub, head back to your room.  Easy.  No need to complicate it.  

6 hours ago, CocktailPrincess said:

Looking at the deck plan there are no changing rooms near many of them, as there are 24 hot tubs dotted around the ship

Why would anyone change clothes near the hot tub when every cruiser has a private stateroom within a 5 minute walk?  

Edited by Mum2Mercury