Galveston in January

bobswife91

No one can predict the weather, but what is it generally like in Galveston in January.  Can't decide if we should stay on the island and walk around the sea wall area, or if it will be too cold and should just stay in Texas City.  We have never been to Galveston, usually cruise out of Florida ports.

Can't predict weather but have lived in Houston for all my 76 years. January weather will be somewhere between 20 and 80. Galveston will be a few degrees warmer but feel about the same with the breeze from the Gulf. A good average is about 50 at night and 68 during the day. You're from Chicago, so I don't think you'd think that was too cold. The specific day you'll be there, ask about a week out and you'll get a good prediction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, bobswife91 said:

No one can predict the weather, but what is it generally like in Galveston in January.  Can't decide if we should stay on the island and walk around the sea wall area, or if it will be too cold and should just stay in Texas City.  We have never been to Galveston, usually cruise out of Florida ports.

Galveston is a tourist destination with over 8 million visitors last year . 

visitgalveston.com

galveston.com

galvestonhistory.org 

18 hours ago, bobswife91 said:

@bobswife91

Bookmark or put the following link in your Favorites. Then start checking it 10 days before you leave for Galveston Island.

10 Day Weather-Galveston, TX

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's such a weird spot.  As posted earlier, I think a temp range between 20Fand 80F sums up Galveston perfectly for January.  And yes, if the temps swing toward the warmer side you'll want to be in Galveston for see and do things.

We'll be departing on the Voyager on Jan 13.  Driving down from Fort Worth after work on the 12th and spending the night, though frequently we've actually left home in the early hours of departure day.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CruiseQueenKC said:

We are also flying in from KC for Jan 13 sailing! My question is about getting to Galveston when we arrive on the 12th. Is there’s preferred shuttle service cruisers use?

Several existing  threads addressing this on this forum. 

On 10/9/2023 at 7:49 AM, TABLEROCKER said:

Hi all. We are from Mo also. We will drive down. Have done it a couple times. We have takin 1 day drive, long day. The other time was extended Vaca. Plus cruise. will probably take 2 days this time.

We're from Kansas and have driven to Galveston for cruises many times over the past 20 years.  It's one of our favorite ports just for that reason -- no flights 🙂  By the time we would drive to KC airport, arrive 2 hours early, fly and connect, then travel from airport to Galveston, the drive time difference is negligible.  It's not a bad drive on good highways, and driving means no luggage size restrictions (more room for snorkel gear, etc).

We are also sailing out of Galveston in January 2024 and will be driving down 2 days prior.  

• Like 1

Paula MacFan, where do you live in Kansas?

My son had suggested of driving there as well which may be possible in "Missouri" weather, and it is a chance a person would have to take. The other two sons/wives work, so they would not be able to do the driving ahead of time, and would have to fly in the day before as  planned.

On 10/8/2023 at 3:49 PM, beshears said:

C-Leg5, you have my "curiosity" up. You say you are flying in from Kansas City too. Do you live around Kansas City, and if so where, or are you coming in from some other town to fly out?

We live in Olathe and are flying this time. Years ago we drove.  This will be our first cruise since 2020!

CruiseQueenKC, well then we are almost neighbors. Our 2nd born son lived in Shawnee for quite some time, but now our twin sons live on each side of us, as we live in a village where every one has one acre or more. I will say it is pretty convenient for us when going to the airport, as it is close. Also for when our family/friends fly in for us to pick up. 🙂

1 hour ago, beshears said:

CruiseQueenKC, well then we are almost neighbors. Our 2nd born son lived in Shawnee for quite some time, but now our twin sons live on each side of us, as we live in a village where every one has one acre or more. I will say it is pretty convenient for us when going to the airport, as it is close. Also for when our family/friends fly in for us to pick up. 🙂

Very nice to have them that close! Our son lives in Oklahoma City and daughter in east Olathe. We’re all flying in to Houston Hobby. But gosh the shuttle fees are high!