EZAIR short connection time??

mimmo.l

Looking to use ezair because of their guarantee for getting us on board if there is an issue with flights.  (Victoria to Houston) in mid December.   (going to try avoid, t but am curious) 

Some of the flights have a short connection time and a pop up appears

"Connecting Time Shorter than Recommended

The connecting time between flights on this itinerary is shorter than the recommended minimum of 1 hour and 30 minutes. A short time between flights may increase the risk of missing your connection." 

If i go with a short connection does their guarantee get voided?

Also what happens to late luggage? (with regular connections, and short ones)

TIA
Dom

If at all possible fly in at least one day early. It looks like you are flying into Houston and sailing out of Galveston. Look at your sailing time. Believe it is 3pm. You need to be on board latest 60 minutes before sailing. Depending on which airport you use drive time from the airport to the ship is 1 to 1 1/2 hours without traffic. Can you make it the same day?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mimmo.l said:
If i go with a short connection does their guarantee get voided?

EZAir's guarantee isn't voided, but there's a caveat.  EZAir will try to get you to Houston, but not necessarily to the next port.  In your case, since you're cruising from Galveston, PSVA applies to you, so EZAir will most likely not try and get you to the next port of call because they will be fined for violating PVSA.  If Princess was feeling extra generous, they will eat the fine and get you to the next port, but you're at Princess' mercy.  If EZAir can find no alternatives, they'll usually give you a future cruise credit for the entire cruise amount and an EZAir credit for the air portion.

1 hour ago, mimmo.l said:

Also what happens to late luggage?

Guest Services is there to help.  It's your responsibility to file lost luggage claim at the airport and give the airline your cruise itinerary.  Once onboard the ship, you give the case number the airline provided you to Guest Services and they will do their best to follow up with the airline and get your luggage to you.  Guest Services will provide instructions to the delivery person on who to hand off the luggage to at the next port of call.  Once on the ship, Guest Services will either have your sent luggage to your cabin or store it at Guest Services for you to collect.

• Thanks 2

I have not seen any language in the EZair documents that states if you book a short connection their guarantee is voided. If EZair sells it to you, they should stand by their guarantee. That said, missing your sailing really sucks and you should do everything you can to lower the risk of missing the ship. Stories about trailing luggage are awful unless you really like the clothes in the shops on board. You also need to be careful that joining the ship at a later port doesn't violate PVSA rules. That probably isn't the case for a journey from Galveston though.

As skynight said, it's best to arrive the day before. Unfortunately for many, it's not possible or practical to do so.

Going from Victoria to Houston, the time zones work against your early arrival for same day flights. I don't know how your routing goes but red eyes are good for getting in to your destination early in the day.

As far as connections go, those early in the day before delays build up are safer than those later in the day. Also check the airport websites for their minimum connection times as they vary from airport to airport. I like to use a minimum connection time that's 50% longer than what the airport recommends. EZair uses a blanket 90 minutes which IMHO is actually reasonable but for some airports you can easily get away with less.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

.... In your case, since you're cruising from Galveston, PSVA applies to you, so EZAir will most likely not try and get you to the next port of call because they will be fined for violating PVSA.  ...

This is not a given. Next ports are likely to be foreign and embarking there will not invoke PVSA restrictions.

"In your case, since you're cruising from Galveston, PSVA applies to you, so EZAir will most likely not try and get you to the next port of call because they will be fined for violating PVSA. "

Incorrect. There would be no violation. Embarkation would be at a foreign port and disembarkation at a U.S. port. PVSA applies to sailings between two different U.S. ports. 

I am a planner and a worrier.  This does not apply to your arrival but will give you my perspective.  I had EZ Air on a return flight.  Air Canada cancelled my perfect flights.  I worked with EZ Air until they could "get" me something out of Quebec.  It ended up being a 5:40 flight with a one hour connection in Montreal.  I knew I wouldn't make it.  People on cruise critic said it would be tight.  EZ Air had no concerns....Not enough to change me to a 3 PM flight.  I ordered a wheelchair.  I made it because my pusher ran me through the terminal, and kept yelling coming through.  We cut in front of so many lines.

Here's the part from EZ Air.  IF...I don't make my flight, will you put me up at a hotel for the night (last flight out of Montreal)?  They told me to call them back if I don't make the flight and they would take care of everything for me.  Not very reassuring, but I was on my way home and really didn't care.  

I don't think I would have felt as confident getting to my destination.  You are wise to do it a day before.  But you have to ask yourself how many flights will be available for you?  Little known fact:  EZ Air commissions x number of seat on certain flgihts (not all).  If they have to rebook you, it may not be on the next flight.  They did absorb my fare increase (of about $150).  They would not put me on the 3 PM flight because it would cost them much much more.  

I do not blame EZ Air, since it was Air Canada that cancelled many flights.  You are paying a reduced rate and will be at their mercy.  If EZ Air will not get you to your destination, Princess Vacation Protection may have trip interruption.  

As others have recommended.  Get an early flight so you have room to wiggle.  Are you doing Victoria to ???? to Texas?  The bigger the airport, the more difficult to navigate.  And ... will you have to do US immigrations at that busy airport.  Lots of factors.  Do you have Global Entry?  

Just something to think about if flying in the day before.

True story.

We were flying into Fort Lauderdale, and it was delayed a good hour because of weather. Once we landed a flight attendant asked everyone to please stay in their seat because some folks had to get off quickly to make their cruise. Once we pulled up to the gate everyone stood up. I have no idea if those folks made their cruise. Fortunately, we flew in the day before. Good thing to. My son-in-laws bag didn't make it and was delivered to the hotel at 2 in the morning.

I do not take using a wheelchair lightly.  I can't do long distances, elevation changes, ramps, and with carry ons (not jetways) .  In most airports, wheelchair assistance is a third party concession.  These pushers know where to go; often putting in 10,000 steps or many miles a day.  I know I don't have to suggest to @Ombud, but to others, please consider a well earned tip when they successfully get you to your destination. Be kind is an added bonus.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Are you doing Victoria to ???? to Texas?  The bigger the airport, the more difficult to navigate.  And ... will you have to do US immigrations at that busy airport.  Lots of factors.  Do you have Global Entry?  

Would be good to know if your Canadian airport has US immigration there so your flight into the US is already pre-cleared. I know that many flights to the US from YVR are that way.

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

Would be good to know if your Canadian airport has US immigration there so your flight into the US is already pre-cleared. I know that many flights to the US from YVR are that way.

I believe that on all Canada-US flights, US Immigration and Customs are handled at the Canadian airport, so that the CA/US flight becomes a "domestic" flight, and no immigration/customs is required at the transfer.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ijscheer said:

I believe that on all Canada-US flights, US Immigration and Customs are handled at the Canadian airport, so that the CA/US flight becomes a "domestic" flight, and no immigration/customs is required at the transfer.

I left from Quebec Airport.  They had no US immigrations/customs facilities.  I had to use Global Entry in Montreal when I transferred to a US bound carrier.  Fortunately, there was no line and I breezed through.  Also, I had to do TSA in Quebec and again in Montreal.  I also had prechecked TSA.

I would not chance a one hour layover at any major Canadian Airport.

My sister just returned from Victoria to SEA and she said it was simple and quick.

2 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

All Canadian airports with flights to USA have US CBP pre-clearance.

47 minutes ago, ijscheer said:

Yes.

22 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I left from Quebec Airport.  They had no US immigrations/customs facilities.  I had to use Global Entry in Montreal when I transferred to a US bound carrier.  Fortunately, there was no line and I breezed through.  Also, I had to do TSA in Quebec and again in Montreal.  I also had prechecked TSA.

I would not chance a one hour layover at any major Canadian Airport.

My sister just returned from Victoria to SEA and she said it was simple and quick.

This is normal.  Your departing airport to USA was Montreal - not Quebec City.  Montreal and Toronto in particular have very streamlined process for connections to/from USA to/from International.  Many of these connections now are done in sterile zones and you do not need to re-process through security.  Your case was small Canadian airport domestic to Montreal and then connect USA.  (When I used to fly to Boston a lot from Toronto airport, I would sometimes go via Montreal to get extra segments towards my FF status and I would have to go through security for the US side).  What helps is that passengers do not need to collect checked bags and lug them to US zone and re-check them. 

All these changes were made to be able to speed passengers through airports like Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver in order to help connection layovers and to attract business from USA with easy connections.  If the airline has it as a legal connection, then it is doable.  It may seem surprising, but it is a pretty good process these days compared to, IDK, 10 years ago.  Air Canada's min connection time for Domestic to USA in Montreal is 55 min. 

PS - Canada's TSA is called CATSA.  It doesn't stand for Canadian TSA.  It stands for Canadian Air Transport Security Authority. 

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

I recognize that folks have varying levels of comfort with connecting flight times.  However, EZ-Air doesn't do anything different than the actual underlying airlines. Minimum legal connection times for each airport/airline will be taken into account as they are drawing on the same schedules and routes that the airlines use.  I am always looking for a good layover time and not be stuck with a long wait between flights.  I understand that a minimum legal connection time might not be agreeable to everyone, so you just have to find the next flight after to lengthen that time, or get an earlier flight for the first leg.

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

This is something been in the works for a while and YTZ now has pre-clearance (nice for Porter business I suppose).  I have not flown out of YTZ for several years now.

2025.... also, none in YYJ for those two flights to Seattle.

The one caveat with USCBP Pre-Clearance (PC) is that your flight has to be within operational hours of the PC facility.  A while ago, we had a late night departure out of YVR and couldn't be processed by PC because it closed at 19:00 and our flight was delayed 21:00.  We ended up leaving out of the international wing, instead of the U.S. departures wing, and had to be processed by USCBP upon arrival into the U.S.A.

Dublin, Ireland is another airport with PC.

27 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

2025.... also, none in YYJ for those two flights to Seattle.

Okay, so a couple of small flights from YYJ to SEA prove the point that there is really an absolute.

So, every major Canadian airport that has relatively frequent service to/from USA has US CBP pre-clearance.  It's not that many airports needed compared to the potential number in the USA.  

• Like 1