A few questions about Explora

Caroldoll

I understand that there is no one to help you with your luggage when you check in?  Is this true?  If so, it is hard for elderly people to handle that????

Then, pardon my ignorance, but all cruise lines we have used in the past (many) have someone who can set your cell phone so you can use it on board.  Is there any such person because I am not that computer literate?

I have another question too. Looking at the on board entertainment in the evenings. What type of entertainer is Brian Dales or The MacDonald Brothers ? Both are performing at the same times, one in the Astern Lounge, the other in the Journeys Lounge. Do they have different acts during the week? Or is it like Le Cabaret Rouge on 'Seaships' the same performances every evening?

Edited by morpheusofthesea

51 minutes ago, Caroldoll said:

I understand that there is no one to help you with your luggage when you check in?  Is this true?  If so, it is hard for elderly people to handle that????

Then, pardon my ignorance, but all cruise lines we have used in the past (many) have someone who can set your cell phone so you can use it on board.  Is there any such person because I am not that computer literate?

When we checked in, our suitcases were taken as soon as we got out of the taxi at the terminal and it was only the hand luggage/bags we wanted to keep with us that we were responsible for and had to carry ourselves on board. This included my purse a backpack, small carryon type handbag with toiletries and such and a grocery bag filled with a 6 pack of Icelandic beer and a half full bottle of gin, along with a few other perishables that we’d had on our ring road trip previous to boarding. As soon as we were on the ship they had us check these bags with the crew and they took them gave us a ticket and said they’d deliver to the room in a few hours. This was right outside one of the shops in the main lobby. We kept what we wanted and then went to lunch and waited until our room was ready and then all bags were brought by 4pm or so.  There was not a lot of travelers in the terminal when we arrived to check in, but a ton of hired “ambassadors” checking people in and I’m sure you could ask one them to help too if you need help with the carry on type of bags up to the lobby. This is how they did it on our trip, but perhaps it’s changed since. 

In terms of the phone, I was having a hard time with the Wi-Fi connecting to my phone, but my husband had no trouble at all so I asked our room attendant (not sure what they are called on Explora) and he helped me set it up. Another time we had a hard time with the clock adjusting on our phones to the current local time and a crew member in one of the bars helped us so it would adjust automatically. You just have to ask and they will provide someone to help. Everyone we came into contact with, crew and officers alike, and there were many officers onboard our trip, went out of their way to help us and always said hello, carried my plate to my table etc.  Even the captain smiled at me when I walked past her in the main lobby one afternoon, but since I couldn’t care less about having a conversation with someone I know nothing about, and has much more important things to do, I kept going and so did she. I’m sure if I had stopped her to say hi she would have indulged me and carried on for a few seconds though.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Caroldoll said:

I understand that there is no one to help you with your luggage when you check in?  Is this true?  If so, it is hard for elderly people to handle that?

8 hours ago, KJB416 said:

When we checked in, our suitcases were taken as soon as we got out of the taxi at the terminal and it was only the hand luggage/bags we wanted to keep with us that we were responsible for and had to carry ourselves on board. This included my purse a backpack, small carryon type handbag with toiletries and such and a grocery bag filled with a 6 pack of Icelandic beer and a half full bottle of gin, along with a few other perishables that we’d had on our ring road trip previous to boarding. As soon as we were on the ship they had us check these bags with the crew and they took them gave us a ticket and said they’d deliver to the room in a few hours. This was right outside one of the shops in the main lobby. We kept what we wanted and then went to lunch and waited until our room was ready and then all bags were brought by 4pm or so.  There was not a lot of travelers in the terminal when we arrived to check in, but a ton of hired “ambassadors” checking people in and I’m sure you could ask one them to help too if you need help with the carry on type of bags up to the lobby. This is how they did it on our trip, but perhaps it’s changed since.

I thought the earlier report about no help sounded strange.  No doubting the report, but hopefully that was a one-off due to local port issues.

28 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I thought the earlier report about no help sounded strange.  No doubting the report, but hopefully that was a one-off due to local port issues.

Since you show NY as your home, here is our tale of cruise woe.  Once upon a time we were boarding the Prinsendam, at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, for a long cruise.  The voyage had actually started a few days earlier in Port Everglades, but about 70 passengers were embarking from NYC.  We drove into the city and I went to the terminal entrance (with our rental car) intending to drop our luggage and then leave with the car.  It was about noon, and there were a few couples sitting outside the doors with their luggage.  They told us that the Longshoreman had gone on lunch break and we were not allowed to enter the terminal with our luggage or they would go on strike!  So, I dropped our luggage and DW and went off to return our rental car.  When I got back to the terminal it was about 12:45 where the small group of passengers were sitting outside the doors with their luggage.  About 12:50, one of the Longshoreman came outside, smiled, and said he would be back at 1pm to get our luggage.  And that is how it all played out in the Big Apple.  The issue was that HAL had only hired a single "gang" of Longshoreman, and they would not work their lunch hour (unless paid a lot more money).  

Coincidentally, we are boarding the EJ1 at the same NYC terminal :).  Suffice it to say that we will not arrive at noon :).  

Hank

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

Since you show NY as your home, here is our tale of cruise woe.  Once upon a time we were boarding the Prinsendam, at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, for a long cruise.  The voyage had actually started a few days earlier in Port Everglades, but about 70 passengers were embarking from NYC.  We drove into the city and I went to the terminal entrance (with our rental car) intending to drop our luggage and then leave with the car.  It was about noon, and there were a few couples sitting outside the doors with their luggage.  They told us that the Longshoreman had gone on lunch break and we were not allowed to enter the terminal with our luggage or they would go on strike!  So, I dropped our luggage and DW and went off to return our rental car.  When I got back to the terminal it was about 12:45 where the small group of passengers were sitting outside the doors with their luggage.  About 12:50, one of the Longshoreman came outside, smiled, and said he would be back at 1pm to get our luggage.  And that is how it all played out in the Big Apple.  The issue was that HAL had only hired a single "gang" of Longshoreman, and they would not work their lunch hour (unless paid a lot more money).  

Coincidentally, we are boarding the EJ1 at the same NYC terminal :).  Suffice it to say that we will not arrive at noon :).  

Hank

See On the Waterfront.  'Nuff said...

• Haha 1

On 9/16/2023 at 11:55 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

my luggage - suitcases - were taken by local workers  but nobody for the handluggage  and I must use a walking stick...

1 hour ago, InsGuy3 said:

Question not related to luggage. Is PressReader App available for use to read international newspapers and magazines online on board. 

Yes - I can access it via the Press Reader App and it gives me access to a wide range of publications 

IMG_0799.thumb.png.e13be79030656b9f74176f3dc4fb75c9.png

• Like 2

I know it's early.....but does anyone know which terminal Explora will use for embarking for the November 3 Caribbean cruise in Miami? I have looked at the Miami Dock Report through November 20 and Explora does not show up at all. 

5 minutes ago, InsGuy3 said:

I know it's early.....but does anyone know which terminal Explora will use for embarking for the November 3 Caribbean cruise in Miami? I have looked at the Miami Dock Report through November 20 and Explora does not show up at all. 

I don’t, but when you enter the port there’s a large sign that shows ship names and terminal numbers. Drivers know this. There’s also the Marine Traffic app that has live positions for all ships that can show you precisely where Explora 1 is early morning the day you embark. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, florisdekort said:

I don’t, but when you enter the port there’s a large sign that shows ship names and terminal numbers. Drivers know this. There’s also the Marine Traffic app that has live positions for all ships that can show you precisely where Explora 1 is early morning the day you embark. 

Thanks for that info. We have taken many cruises from Miami. Normally, if embarking/debarking from Terminal J, we generally drive ourselves because it is straightforward and easy. However, the other terminals are a zoo and we generally take a car service. We have driven ourselves to the other terminals but prefer not to any more. I was just curious to know if I needed to book a car service. 

https://wwwx.miamidade.gov/Apps/Seaport/dailydock/SSRSReportDock.aspx

The Miami Port Daily Dock Report link for those not familiar with this website. Very informative and usually very reliable. I don't see Explora listed here. Unusual but not surprising. Hopefully, will check back in a week or two and it will be listed.

1 hour ago, InsGuy3 said:

Until MSC Terminal AAA is completed sometime summer 2024 they are at the whim of the port authority. Go to your cruise ticket. go to page 14. top of page left corner is 08. Main Steps for Embarkation. Last line of first paragraph Terminal XYZ. We left from Terminal E and returned to Terminal C. While on board I went to Guest Services and asked what terminal will the ship return to ? Purser said they will not know until the ship receives an email the night before they arrive in Miami.

IMG_3023.JPG

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Until MSC Terminal AAA is completed sometime summer 2024 they are at the whim of the port authority. Go to your cruise ticket. go to page 14. top of page left corner is 08. Main Steps for Embarkation. Last line of first paragraph Terminal XYZ. We left from Terminal E and returned to Terminal C. While on board I went to Guest Services and asked what terminal will the ship return to ? Purser said they will not know until the ship receives an email the night before they arrive in Miami.

IMG_3023.JPG

Thanks. Our Boarding Pass does not indicate a specific Terminal just the following address:1741-1751 N CRUISE BLVD, MIAMI, FL 33132, UNITED STATES

Looking at the Apple Maps the address indicates Terminal C as my best guess. 

56 minutes ago, InsGuy3 said:

Thanks. Our Boarding Pass does not indicate a specific Terminal just the following address:1741-1751 N CRUISE BLVD, MIAMI, FL 33132, UNITED STATES

Looking at the Apple Maps the address indicates Terminal C as my best guess. 

You're correct. 1751 is Terminal B Norwegian. 1741 is C. portmiami_map1.thumb.jpg.26cf21e0086710203bf8592541e015f0.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

You're correct. 1751 is Terminal B Norwegian. 1741 is C. portmiami_map1.thumb.jpg.26cf21e0086710203bf8592541e015f0.jpg

Found this too.

Terminal AA/AAA – MSC Cruises (2023)

Terminal A – Royal Caribbean | The Crown of Miami

Terminal B – Norwegian Cruise Line | The Pearl of Miami

Cruise Terminal C – Disney Cruise Line | MSC

Terminals D & E – Carnival, Princess Cruises, P&O, Holland America Line

Terminal F – Carnival Cruises

Terminal G – Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises

Terminal J – small vessels and luxury cruises (Oceania Cruises, Regent Seven Seas)

4 hours ago, artbcpa said:

I understand that Explora I has electronic pianos aboard. Does anyone know the brand? I have a Yamaha Clavinova at home and would love to be able to play the ones onboard. Are they available for passenger use?

I haven’t seen any keyboards like they used to have for classes on Crystal

They do have several Steinway grand pianos but they are not for guest use. One is automated and plays at various times during the day 

6 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

I haven’t seen any keyboards like they used to have for classes on Crystal

They do have several Steinway grand pianos but they are not for guest use. One is automated and plays at various times during the day 

On our last night we went to floor 5 to speak to the EJ ambassador about booking another trip. She was with other cruisers so we had to wait for them to finish. There is a piano there, just as you leave the elevators on the way to creama cafe, overlooking the lobby below and a little alcove with a two chairs and a table just outside the onboard booking office. Two Explora higher ups or back office employees (wore suits but not officers) sat and enjoyed a coffee and a chat, I believe it was in Italian.  At the piano, a father and his young son, maybe 6 or 8 years old, played the piano. The father played beautifully, but he was trying to have piano lessons with his son and it was really irritating after a few minutes of waiting and listening to the lessons. Once we were inside the EJ Ambassador’s office, she got up and closed the doors to block the noise, it was so irritating. The man playing would have been fine, since it sounded nice, but the piano lesson to his son was not okay and the EJ employees or whoever they were, said nothing to them and just let it go on. 

Anyway, I only tell this to say I’m not sure anyone would say anything to you at all if you decide to play one of the vacant pianos, especially if you know what you’re doing. 

• Thanks 1