How Important is Having a Mobile Phone Onboard?

mckath

3 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I admit I will also check the MDR dinner menu and see if anything interesting is also going to be available in the Lido. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

ETA: As far as checking things on the TV -- THAT is the device we do not turn on, after watching the Muster video.

We also tend not to turn on the TV. I ordered my lunch from the NY Deli and Pizza as well as the Dine In several times from my phone. Very convenient just to show up in time to pick up my lunch.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Agree!  And glad it is not a "one size fits all world"......Just sharing my thoughts on the topic..and glad we can still do that!

Enjoy the journey.....with or without your phone!

There's a difference between someone sharing their thoughts by saying 'this is what I do' and someone sharing their thoughts by saying 'this is what you should do.'

"We "watch" the MDR menu on the stateroom TV when getting ready for dinner......Always fun to figure out what we are about to go enjoy....."

falls into the former category.

"Enjoy the freedom of no phone onboard......It's liberating.  Not required nor needed for a fantastic cruise! We have the "shakes" for a day or two and then it passes and we feel fine and function fine. "

falls pretty close to the latter category.

Just a thought.

Edited by Toofarfromthesea
  • Like 3

I’m sure others have mentioned this also, but my favorite reason for having the app available on board is the “let us know” feature.  For a company that often falls short on customer service, HAL seems to have created a really great and useful function.

My husband and I have made it a new personal tradition to find at least one crew member each day who has done a terrific job and report it using the app.  It’s amazing how fast they get feedback from their supervisors - in one instance we mentioned the amazing help we had gotten in the lido getting settled for lunch (my husband has Parkinson’s and was very wobbly that day).  By the time we finished the meal, our wonderful crew member had already heard the feedback from her boss and came by to thank us for the recognition.

Additionally, we have used it a couple of times to note safety issues, which were addressed almost immediately.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

There are plenty of things you don't need that make cruising easier - a phone is one of them.   

1. With a  phone, you can look ahead on the daily program a few days to see what is coming ahead
  2. You can order food from Dive Inn from your cabin and not wait around by the pool
  3. You can avoid going to guest services as most issues can be dealt with via the Navigator App.  For example - if they forget to apply your Mariner discount at the Pinnancle - a quick note to guest services will resolve the issue. 
  4. You can send text messages to other passengers and leave them messages - you don't have to leave a note on their door or voice mail.    
  5. You can review your statement whenever you want.  
  6. You can receive, at no charge, text messages from Grandkids and other folks back at home.   You can be reached more easily in an emergency.  
  7. All your shore excursion tickets are listed by day in your daily schedule.    All your dinner reservations and other events you tag will pop up as a reminders if you choose.  
  8. You can check your email throughout the day and deal with issues at home quickly if necessary.
  9. You can use WhatsApp for free (with a wifi plan) and stay in touch with your private tour guides ashore.  
  10. We contacted our dentist at home, via text, twice shared photos of a problem tooth, and got expert advice without going to medical or trying to find a dentist ashore.

While there are non-phone ways to accomplish everything above - it's easier for me with a phone.

I ignore what other people do while eating their dinners - if they want to use their phones instead of knitting, reading a paperback, or staring out the window, or talking to their partner- more power to them.   It's their vacation - they can use their time ashore however they see fit.

I find it fascinating to observe others at dinner, but I am also dismayed at the numbers I see sitting through an entire meal without conversing with the partner or, even worse, their kids.  Some folks are raising a generation that does not know how to converse or look at someone when they are.  

I've even seen two couples out for dinner and all four spend the time together on their phones, not conversing, not enjoying each other's company.  Why even bother to go out for dinner?

"Mirrors on the ceiling,

pink champagne on ice,

we are all just prisoners here,

of our own device"

• Like 5

8 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I find it fascinating to observe others at dinner, but I am also dismayed at the numbers I see sitting through an entire meal without conversing with the partner or, even worse, their kids.  Some folks are raising a generation that does not know how to converse or look at someone when they are.  

I've even seen two couples out for dinner and all four spend the time together on their phones, not conversing, not enjoying each other's company.  Why even bother to go out for dinner?

"Mirrors on the ceiling,

pink champagne on ice,

we are all just prisoners here,

of our own device"

If you're watching another table for an entire meal you are also ignoring your dinner companions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I find the app very informative and really enjoyed it on my last cruise. I don’t have a separate camera and love the pictures my phone takes. It s funny how judgmental people are about phones but will sign on to their laptops or tablets. I have been on over 20 cruises and have never watched a single TV show where others love to watch movies and shows while they cruise. Each to their own enjoyment. Please do what you want and don’t worry. I am a solo traveler and will happily cruise with my phone by my side. 

• Like 4

On 9/16/2023 at 2:59 PM, Mary229 said:

You can survive without it.  I like my technology but it really isn’t necessary.  

no matter what phone you bring it is of utmost importance to put it into airplane mode as soon as you step on the ship.  The ocean based roaming charges can be very large.   If you don’t know how to do that just shut the phone down. For emergency purposes give home the Holland America emergency number.  These are for emergencies only and the ship will call your room phone or send someone down depending on urgency. 

Business Hours: 206-626-9000
After Hours & Holidays: 1-800-628-4771 or 1-206-286-3294

No kidding on the roaming charges!  I got nailed one year in Spain for an outrageous amount of money, so therefore, and hence forward, I never use my smartphone onboard.  My beloved carries his around, but I dare not. My smart phone worked but it's stupid owner, me, never put it in airplane mode!  It's pretty cool how I can survive without the incessently depressing news anyhow.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, albingirl said:

No kidding on the roaming charges!  I got nailed one year in Spain for an outrageous amount of money, so therefore, and hence forward, I never use my smartphone onboard.  My beloved carries his around, but I dare not. My smart phone worked but it's stupid owner, me, never put it in airplane mode!  It's pretty cool how I can survive without the incessently depressing news anyhow.

Airplane mode is your wallet's friend!

I have the opposite problem. I put it on airplane mode when I'm onboard, and forget to change the setting when I go ashore. Then I'm cross because my phone doesn't work!

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 2

I use my phone for a lot more than communicating and social media.  It is a substitute for my wallet as all my credit cards, ID, etc, are loaded into it - quite handy for excursions as I don’t have to carry around loose cards.  I use it for photos and videos (and even pre-ordered the new Apple 15 Pro Max which has the latest tech for camera; so much easier than lugging around camera equipment).  Also use it for health and fitness features, Google translate, fall alert feature (which was invaluable when I was running on vacation last year and fell), and my music as my phone must be turned on for music to play on my watch (which I use working out).  The list of features / uses goes on and on.  (To disconnect from work, I delete the work email icon so I am not tempted.)  But as some posters said, if you are going to use phone, text, social media, turn on airplane mode on the ship and use its WiFi.

Edited by Hobar
  • Like 2

On 9/17/2023 at 9:29 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

There's a difference between someone sharing their thoughts by saying 'this is what I do' and someone sharing their thoughts by saying 'this is what you should do.'

"We "watch" the MDR menu on the stateroom TV when getting ready for dinner......Always fun to figure out what we are about to go enjoy....."

falls into the former category.

"Enjoy the freedom of no phone onboard......It's liberating.  Not required nor needed for a fantastic cruise! We have the "shakes" for a day or two and then it passes and we feel fine and function fine. "

falls pretty close to the latter category.

Just a thought.

My apologies then.....not my intention.....just sharing.....I'll work on my wording and thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Enjoy the journey......

• Like 2

There are several reasons I bring my smart phone. My travel insurance info is on there, my prescriptions are on the Walgreens app along with the pics of the meds which saves me from bringing all the prescription bottles, maps where internet will not be needed or is not available can be downloaded, QR codes can be scanned and most importantly my flight info is easily accessible. That has saved me several times with canceled flights. Twice on departing flights when returning from a cruise. I have been able to reschedule flights before disembarking the ship and have got out the same day. A heck of a lot better than finding out when you get to the airport. 
When on vacation I want as much convenience as possible. A smart phone provides the convenience. I am on a cruise not a hunting trip. 

Edited by Laminator
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I know the subject matter is about having a phone ONboard, but I did want to give input, as others have, about how helpful a working phone can be during a cruise. 

We took many cruises and seemingly did just fine without an international plan for years (although we’d usually scramble to find a strong enough wifi signal when in port so we could check an email or pay a bill, etc.). 

Then we did a land-based trip for a month or so in a country where we had lived as students and realized the value of having a working phone with internet. Compared to the past, we had so much more freedom, information at our fingertips, live “real time” traffic maps when driving, and the ability to call and confirm logistics info like opening hours, etc. It was so efficient and made traveling so much easier that we said we’d never travel internationally again without some sort of phone plan. 

Our next cruise, we purchased an inexpensive sim card/plan from Amazon and we were so glad we did. (We weren’t able to make calls or have internet access aboard the ship while out to sea, but while on or near land and when the ship was docked). I’ve been able to book last-minute car rentals when original plans changed, make calls, and get notified when our flight was canceled due to weather [if I didn’t have internet, I would have been caught off guard at the airport and not known the airline was planning to put us on separate flights home (somehow there was a glitch with our frequent flyer tickets and our records got separated from one another). The calls and texts from the airline came through in the wee hours as the ship was arriving in port for disembarkation. Knowing this, I was able to have a list of available back ups when I arrived at the airport and it worked out to our satisfaction (the airline’s phones were down but ordinarily I would’ve been able to handle it all over the phone as I had done on the aforementioned land-based trip when that return flight, too, got cancelled).

Just wanted to share my personal experience of how having some sort of plan has greatly benefited our travels, been a real timesaver on numerous occasions and given us more tools for additional spontaneity.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

Another feature of my iPhone is the ability to translate. Last night while having some friends over I held up my iPhone and showed that while they were talking I could translate the conversation into Spanish in real time without the iPhone connected to the internet. 

4 hours ago, billco said:

Another feature of my iPhone is the ability to translate. Last night while having some friends over I held up my iPhone and showed that while they were talking I could translate the conversation into Spanish in real time without the iPhone connected to the internet. 

Another feature of the Google Translate app is the ability to point the camera at a sign or menu and get an instant translation.  This was recently helpful to us while we were in Japan and ate in some venues that had no English menus.  It has also been useful in various European countries.

Hank

• Like 4