Equinox ABCs - 16 to 24 September 2023

tnm6217

Starting a live(ish) review for this cruise since I know a few of us who post here are onboard. 

Boarded at Port Everglades from Celebrity’s Terminal 25. I honestly panicked when we arrived at 11:20 because there was zero chaos and parking was readily available. After sailing from only Miami and Bayonne, I was blown away by how easy and smooth the boarding process was there. 

This is my first time on Equinox. She is in great shape, and looks slightly fresher than Silhouette. Not sure how many are actually onboard, but nothing has felt loud or overcrowded so far. 

Room keys were at the door immediately upon boarding. My luggage was there when I went by the room at 1. Met my lovely room steward Lourdes in the hall. Was surprised to learn that we get two bottles of water daily in Aqua. She said I could also get a bottle of the Celebrity Vintages “champagne.” I asked for water instead! 

We went to Oceanview for lunch and while it was crowded, it was not chaotic. Food options were plenty and service was good. The Dal and Tikka Masala was a little too spicy for me, but so delicious. 

I will hit Elite with this sailing. Went to the CC desk around 4 to ask to have it applied during the cruise. When I returned from dinner, I had a message from Mariska saying it was completed and I could come get a new key card. 

The show last night was Broadway Cabaret. I’ve always been happy with the Celebrity Showtime performers on Silhouette and Summit, but this group was very impressive! 

We arrived at Blu around 8 pm and it was a little congested at the host stand, which I think was due to the post-show group heading in and the early dinner crowd heading out. We waited about 5 minutes for a table and had a lovely meal with Ida taking care of us.

I had lump crab martini, roasted butternut squash bisque, tuna pomodoro, cheesecake, and chocolate cherry trifle. it was all exceptional. This was my first time in Blu, having only dined in Luminae before, and the food was just as good if not better. The cheesecake is still the best I’ve ever had and the chocolate cherry trifle blew us all away. 

Ida told us we could order off of the main dining menu, which surprised me because it’s not collocated with Blu. Happy to report that the French onion soup is still just as good as it once was. 

Champagne update—I was able to find one glass of the Haslinger Champagne before dinner at Passport Bar. The only other option was the Duc de Valmer, which is not great. The bartender told me that they would have more Haslinger and Chandon once the new provisions were distributed to the bars. By the time we got to dinner, Blu had plenty of the Haslinger, so I was happy!

Cookie update—I enjoyed oatmeal raisin and double chocolate cookies at both Oceanview and al Baccio. They were fantastic. 

IMG_0783.thumb.jpeg.caa8d0d28edf1999398e1ec1b31d8545.jpeg

IMG_0788.thumb.jpeg.70fb523dcfce46aaaf754d1e8473530b.jpeg

IMG_0799.thumb.jpeg.18fec814d33e9ef8f146763008fb6651.jpeg

IMG_0800.thumb.jpeg.f71577d77d78b258342ba4094b5ceea6.jpeg

IMG_0801.thumb.jpeg.4c103b10e730044c9e539bdfe6af5f0f.jpeg

IMG_0802.thumb.jpeg.c8918add13c17e0b7d4b7faabaf5bdbe.jpeg

IMG_0798.thumb.jpeg.8c8a7bf54a891137b23881b5d227ef8b.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Hello and following along as we board next month.

I was not impressed with Blu on the Beyond and the choices were very limited and we were not able to order off the MDR menu as we love ceasar salad, onion soup, etc., therefore we just ate a couple of times at the steakhouse and the remaining evenings at the MDR.

I am so glad to hear we are able to order off the MDR menu!  I have to try that champagne you enjoy.  Following along.  

Following.  Doing this itinerary next month.

Have only done one Celebrity cruise, so apologies for questions.

Your room key, you pick it up in your room and not prior to boarding?

Anyone have experience bringing your own water and soda onboard at embarkation?  Carry on or check with porters?  We did not get a package, so bringing our own.

54 minutes ago, hcat said:

looks like you are off to a good start.

BON VOYAGE!

What is your itin?

ps I was surprised they upgraded your Cap Club status BEFORE the cruise was completed...Better perks coming your way!  Get the sheet with the benefits!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, hcat said:

ps I was surprised they upgraded your Cap Club status BEFORE the cruise was completed...Better perks coming your way!  Get the sheet with the benefits!

Yes this doesn't usually happen as points for the sailing are not earned until the sailing is completed.  Must be an inexperienced CC Concierge as most of them seem to be now.  But good for the OP

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Yes this doesn't usually as points for the sailing are not earned until the sailing is completed.  Must be an inexperienced CC Concierge as most of them seem to be now.  But good for the OP

If it is the same Maritza that we know, she is definitely experienced, and very nice.  😊

Following along …we board the Equinox with the same itinerary on October 14th. It will be are first time on a Solstice class ship in Aquaclass. We have previously sailed on the Summit, Edge and Apex in the Retreat in Sky Suites but have been pretty much priced out except a Beyond cruise in January for my husband’s big birthday that we booked when they were first released…

I have been looking forward to this sailing but some of the negativity on these threads can give me pause….

thanks for posting your thoughts and pictures…especially of food…I often find it hard to make of the descriptions of dishes…

Have an amazing cruise…

Quick Question: Did they adhere to assigned boarding times? If so, what was your time? Driving over from Sarasota with a 1PM check in time. Always like to arrive earlier (can't contain my pre-cruise excitement!!!). Is it possible to check in earlier based on your experience? Any help appreciated.

2 hours ago, lola2013 said:

Following along.  Our group sailed on Equinox to the ABCs and Puerta Plata this past February and it was great.  Sounds like you are enjoying the same excellent adventure!

Bon Voyage @tnm6217 I too will be following.  I plan on watching your sailaway and day dream!!!!!  I have to wait until Feb 5th to board EQ.  Please tell us more other champagne choices you discover at the various bars/lounges as the cruise progresses.  THX

Hi Susan / @lola2013  Remember me?  I was with you on the ABC cruise you mentioned!!!! 

Happy to see the OP is off to such a good start!  The constant complaining on these boards had me worried although I see that the champagne choices are still an issue.  Last winter after commenting (nicely) to the Bar Manager about my preferences he made Cattier available at the Martini Bar and MDR nightly.  It was not Veuve Clicquot my fave but nice.

I am on EQ this coming winter for another b2b2b - 2 of them are ABC: Feb 15th and Feb 24th.   What are your plans?

Mary

4 hours ago, hcat said:

What is your itin?

Days 1-3: at sea

Day 4: Oranjestad, Aruba

Day 5: Willemstad, Curaçao 

Day 6: Kralendijk, Bonaire

Days 7-8: at sea

3 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Anyone have experience bringing your own water and soda onboard at embarkation?  Carry on or check with porters?  We did not get a package, so bringing our own.

Room keys will be in an envelope nestled behind the room number placard outside your stateroom door. If you purchased wifi, you’ll need your account number on your card in order to login.

I don’t have any experience with bringing beverages onboard. Hopefully another member can help! 

1 hour ago, Oakman said:

Quick Question: Did they adhere to assigned boarding times? If so, what was your time? Driving over from Sarasota with a 1PM check in time. Always like to arrive earlier (can't contain my pre-cruise excitement!!!). Is it possible to check in earlier based on your experience? Any help appreciated.

Our boarding time was 11:30 and we arrived shortly before then. I didn’t notice anyone checking the boarding time. I can’t imagine you’ll be turned away. Everything was so well-organized and swift.

50 minutes ago, Beba-Beba said:

Last winter after commenting (nicely) to the Bar Manager about my preferences he made Cattier available at the Martini Bar and MDR nightly.

They had the Cattier Brut Icone on my January and March Silhouette sailings and I absolutely loved it. I wish they were still able to get it. I’ll be sure to ask what other kinds of bubbles they have onboard.

• Like 2

It was an especially hot and humid sunrise as we sailed along the Northern coast of Cuba. The skies were clear and offered a good view. After a muggy morning walk, I enjoyed some time at al Bacio, which was practically a ghost town before 9 am (and I loved it!). I enjoyed an antioxidant smoothie and some lovely fruit topped with fresh mint at Spa Cafe. We enjoyed well-attended morning trivia in Ensemble Lounge. The host mentioned that Sky Lounge was being used for a private event, but I found it even more enjoyable in the smaller space.

Oceanview was pretty packed when we arrived around 12:30, but it’s a sea day so I understand. The Indian food was great and not so spicy like yesterday (except when I mistakenly ate one of the peppers in the Masala rice not realizing what it was until I’d swallowed it…oops). The pizza station had hand-rolled garlic knots that were absolutely out of this world. About the size of a tater tot, they were drenched in garlic-y goodness and baked to perfection. I decided to try a corn dog because I could tell they had been hand-battered. They too were fabulous and the sausage reminded me more of a lil’ smokie than a hot dog. The cookies and ice cream were just as delicious on day 2.

IMG_0805.thumb.jpeg.8274924ddd523a8f1f14a01d57901bf5.jpeg

IMG_0810.thumb.jpeg.b65bf0fb629ccbc4662812b3a592f565.jpeg

IMG_0812.thumb.jpeg.611327317acb3b4b3e7ba617823387ae.jpeg

IMG_0813.thumb.jpeg.c4e0d9a299d4204bb0247b9296fe2b25.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beba-Beba said:

Bon Voyage @tnm6217 I too will be following.  I plan on watching your sailaway and day dream!!!!!  I have to wait until Feb 5th to board EQ.  Please tell us more other champagne choices you discover at the various bars/lounges as the cruise progresses.  THX

Hi Susan / @lola2013  Remember me?  I was with you on the ABC cruise you mentioned!!!! 

Happy to see the OP is off to such a good start!  The constant complaining on these boards had me worried although I see that the champagne choices are still an issue.  Last winter after commenting (nicely) to the Bar Manager about my preferences he made Cattier available at the Martini Bar and MDR nightly.  It was not Veuve Clicquot my fave but nice.

I am on EQ this coming winter for another b2b2b - 2 of them are ABC: Feb 15th and Feb 24th.   What are your plans?

Mary

Yes Mary…of course I remember…good times on that cruise, right?

I’m sailing on Apex in December followed by a B2B on Silhouette in February and again on Apex the following December…can’t wait!

tnm6217, thanks for letting us catch up on this dreary, rainy Chicago Sunday.  Enjoy the sunshine 😎

Susan 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Following.  Doing this itinerary next month.

Have only done one Celebrity cruise, so apologies for questions.

We brought our own soda and water on, to Equinox, in July. We had a few 12-packs and bottled water too. And then dropped it off in our room as soon as we boarded, since the room keys are at your door and you can access your room right away. Very nice to have this option!

• Like 2