I hate to burst your bubble

bitob

For medical reasons, my DH and I had to cancel our first Cunard cruise on QV that left SH on Tuesday.  I used to think that Cunard was over the top with their dress code; however, reading posts like the above over the last few months, I have changed my mind.  I think that the adherence to the address code suggests that folk have respect for the code and for each other.  It looks like our first Cunard cruise will now be next June.  (Wish it was sooner.)  But, bring on the dress code—we are ready!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I have to say... we most definitely had at least 85% of people dressed to the nines, but if percentage was different......

I would not waste my time worrying about the jeans or the ones not dressed accordingly. I know you talk about QM2, I can only speak for our experience, Queen Victoria is a marvellous ship with so much to look at and fill your heart with happiness, one is treated like Royalty.... why bother with the ones who are not following the dress code?

If Cunard is willing to overlook in order to make up for the looses of the pandemic and keep the ships available... they wont worry reading even if one floods social media with complaints.

I doubt very much that Cunard can turn into a less elegant, marvellous experience just because people are not dressing up, 

We enjoyed shopping pre cruise, packing some outfits I had not been able to wear in YEARS, enjoyed dressing up getting ready for lunch and dinner, booked the salon to do our hair, fascinated with the marvellous elegance in the main dining room, the couples dancing in the Queens Room, our last afternoon enjoyed the Tea experience (and everyone was amazingly dressed up!)..... honestly, why wasting time with negativity when there is so much positivity? 

Edited by MrsPeel55
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NE John said:

We got our masks on Amazon for $4 each. I ended up looking like a professional wrestler! This is the same tux I wore for our first TA in 2008  IMG_3408.thumb.jpeg.0951af2baac4bf19c4f13a2b82ceec53.jpeg

Amazon helped us too with the last two sailings.

Looking forward to wearing them again. Maybe another order to add more to Gala Wear.

Thank you John

• Like 2

On 9/20/2023 at 12:05 AM, Jack E Dawson said:

Wow, GREAT job with the survey. Thank you very much. I think your results are a good sign. Two weeks ago, on the QE, my much less scientific observations earned a score of 98% plus compliance over the 14 day cruise. While we were in PG we did go to the Royal Court Theater all but 3 nights. Perhaps equally encouraging was that on Smart Attire nights most gentlemen exceeded the minimum requirements.

Jack

Except in the buffet

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bitob said:

It’s after 6 pm

there are two people in kings court buffet in bathrobes 

we saw them on way to grills lounge

Scant comfort but maybe they've stopped off for a little something after being in the pool etc.rather than an out and out blatant disregard for the After Six codes.

I didn't have my watch on and went down to the library to exchange a book in my [whisper it 😃] jeans and skulked back feeling very embarrassed so it can happen.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Scant comfort but maybe they've stopped off for a little something after being in the pool etc.rather than an out and out blatant disregard for the After Six codes.

I didn't have my watch on and went down to the library to exchange a book in my [whisper it 😃] jeans and skulked back feeling very embarrassed so it can happen.

Folks in grills are always well dressed 

jackets and even ties when not required

stark contrast

Just now, bitob said:

Folks in grills are always well dressed 

jackets and even ties when not required

stark contrast

Well I travelled in 'the Grills' and I was totally embarrassed for being out and about in my jeans after six.

So even a lowly Grill'er like myself can get caught out...but not in my bathrobe I hasten to reassure! 😃

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

There's no point comparing how people are dressed in the buffet to any of the formal dining rooms. 

Before my first Cunard cruise the impression I got from these boards was that to sail Cunard dressing up is required. Wrong. In fact we are in the minority. 

In fact we could even book grills and dress casually in smart attire and do room service or buffet on gala nights. I wouldn’t go that route but I have friends that would. They just don’t want anything to do with formal

On 9/17/2023 at 6:09 PM, bitob said:

On qm2. 
boarded sept 11 round trip ny

in queens grill suite

dress code? 
I don’t think so

having a drink in grills lounge

jeans abound

in theatre on gala evening a ghastly array of underdressed souls

we are of course dressed to the nines and loving the cruise

very shocked

2 hours ago, NE John said:

We got our masks on Amazon for $4 each. I ended up looking like a professional wrestler! This is the same tux I wore for our first TA in 2008  IMG_3408.thumb.jpeg.0951af2baac4bf19c4f13a2b82ceec53.jpeg

Mexican wrestler by way of Amazon...or weekend in Venice.....AND then buying from Amazon....sold to the man in the tequila themed cummerbund 🤪🤪

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bitob said:

Except in the buffet

The Daily Programme makes clear that those who do not wish to go along with that night's dress code are allowed to use the Lido / Kings Court. There is just a requirement not to wear sportswear there, or ripped jeans. On all 3 vessels the Lido/Kings Court is en route to other places, including the promenade deck, so some people out of dress code would necessarily be passing through.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dunvectrin' said:

On an unrelated issue. As we will be at sea on Thanksgiving and Mrs Dunvectrin is American she wonders if there is anything planned for that Thursday? 

Well, she's a British ship so for obvious reasons there isn't much acknowledgement of our American holiday. I have spent several Thanksgivings onboard and will report you can expect the captain to say 'Happy Thanksgiving to our American guests' during the midday announcements and one of your dinner options will be a traditional Thanksgiving meal which is quite nice actually with pumpkin pie usually offered for dessert. And that's about it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

And so much smarter in that cummerbund. 😉😉

I lost the attachment gizmo to the cummerbund and found that out at the last minute when getting ready go to a recent Black Tie wedding. I went sans one. 
You’re right, not wearing one makes a big difference!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bitob said:

It’s after 6 pm

there are two people in kings court buffet in bathrobes 

we saw them on way to grills lounge

I've got you beat... bathrobe in the Commodore shortly before six! Grills passenger (yes I watched where he came from) came and got drinks every evening I assume to drink while getting dressed.

PXL_20230709_193439764.MP.jpg

Edited by fourmile.ranch
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 7:13 AM, Pushpit said:

So I am on QM2 tonight, a Gala night, and in Britannia I was assigned a table in the best area, which in my view is Port side upper gallery on Deck 3, open dining. This allowed me, over a 20 minute period to do a survey of the first 100 men going past my table, both directions. 

94 followed the dress code.

6 did not follow the code, in my view

1 guy was way short.

On the other hand 2 were in white tails, so I think that improves the overall position.

Now here's your trigger, and with smelling salts to hand, the non conformers were

- two men in short sleeve shirts, no jacket.

- one similar, but long sleeve.

- one close call - dark stylish jeans, dark jacket, no tie, unbuttoned 3 down.

- one Hawai'i style shirt, but it was 2 tone, nothing too splashy

- and the big offender: orange shirt, not tucked in, fading blue jeans and since he was on my side of 50 years old certainly old enough to know better. He would not have got his big toe over the threshold of the QE2 restaurant without being swiftly intercepted by the Maître d'. 

OK, so context here, on this not exactly scientific survey 94% conformed, which should be the headline really. I didn't check the ladies, but I'd assume near 100% anyway.

Now some caveats - I could see that all the sought after window seats were given to those in suits or dinner jackets. The six reprobates were led to the end by the kitchen swing doors. Others got put behind pillars, which is a good way to handle this. So there may be a bit lower conformance percentage if we consider those not ushered to the upper gallery and those on Deck 2.

In my reckoning of the 94% I took a generous view, so I cleared cream and fawn colour suits and mis-matched suits, so long as a tie of some sort was worn. This sector is SOU-HAM, with most passengers starting in NYC 9 days ago. I would suggest - as gently as I can - that it's probably harder for the German guests to meet the dress code since there's less of a rugby/golf/Freemason/Rotary/professional body dinner tradition back home. Still the headline is most  conformed.

Moreover being the last night, there is in theory a waiver for those disembarking tomorrow. I did see one couple challenged in Commodore by the wait staff, and that was their response.

But overall, I'm not getting a massive reduction in standards, provided one takes a generous view of the situation.

Oh dear some one has taken over my job in the Dress Code Police Dept and I am very very happy!

6 hours ago, NE John said:

Why do you bring the Freemasons into you dress code? if you are not a Mason how do you know how they dress.