Just curious why people ask....

sadiwest

47 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

What do people do with information about which Cruise Director is on board? I'm not sure I've ever spoken to one much less relied ob a specific one being on "my" ship.

Just curious really...

I've been on 29 cruises and never knew any of the cruise directors names.  And for my upcoming 8 it will possibly be the same scenario.  I think in my case at least we are more interested in the ports, don't like sitting around the pool, don't like the production shows and will usually attend an evening show if there is a cool act like heavy metal.  Since this will probably never happen, we just don't see the cruise directors as that's where they are the most prominent.  A lot of folks are very knowledgeable about them.

Usually I don't care at all.  However, I discovered recently that the CD who was to be aboard my next cruise was someone we had sailed with - and had dinner with - 23 years ago, on a different cruise line. We have a photo of that dinner.  I really wanted to show it to her.

• Like 1

Yep, I don't get it.  I've interacted with one CD on Rustbucke Cruise Lines (has nothing to do with rust).  He came into the buffet and sat with us, nice guy but he didn't, as stated above, make or break the cruise for us.  He eventually starred in the latest unsuccessful TV Show, The Love Boat.  I wonder if he went back to Rustbucket Cruise Lines.

Perhaps this would be more important to someone who is an extrovert and cruises a lot. I could not name one cruise director - or any other cruise employee - on any of more than 30 cruises. I will say that we have had some good CDs, who made some of the entertainment more enjoyable.

6 minutes ago, vswan said:

I will say that we have had some good CDs, who made some of the entertainment more enjoyable.

I think that the CDs do a good job at the game show and the quest, usually.  However, on one cruise the CD didn't seem to show up for most of the scheduled activities, and his assistant covered for him.  She did a much better job than he did.  I only wish that I could remember her name.  

I'm more interested in who the Genies are.

I think the cruise directors, for the most part, do a good job, so I don't think it really matters.  Funny -- we were on B2B cruises on the Allure in August, and we had two different cruise directors.  I definitely liked the 2nd one better, but like I said, it didn't really matter that much. 

It's all about name-dropping.  Go to a top-tier event, shake hands with Capt, CD.  When some travel agent or blog site mentions a name, folks can chime in with "CD Incognito is a good friend of mine" because they've shaken hands.  Nahhh, let me touch the forward bearing block of a Wartsilla 16V46D.

• Haha 1

I only need a good CD to pull off a successful L&M game show. Otherwise...meh...

I wouldn't choose/avoid an itinerary based on the CD.

With that said, there have been, on occasion, a CD that makes a personal impact for your cruise. That doesn't mean they're going to get great reviews from all cruisers, and I still wouldn't seek out a ship they are on just to hang out with them again. Case in point, it seemed like I kept running into Abe Hughes several years in a row without even knowing what ship he'd be on! I was his accidental stalker lol.

• Like 1

After 45 cruises I can name some of them, usually, the ones that have been great at events like the 70's night or the really bad ones that were so cringy we'd avoid anything they were involved with.  One of the worst (for us) is revered by people on here and I'd get flamed for naming them).   We don't really notice much on short cruises, but on the longer ones like Panama Canal or Transatlantic it can make a difference on how their team is with onboard events. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gmerick said:

Nahhh, let me touch the forward bearing block of a Wartsilla 16V46D.

Had to Google that! 😅😅😅

My 2c: can't remember any CD. Dreaded seeing them at the start of the shows  especially on MSC where they repeat their intro in 5 other languages!

Agree with most folks where CD is not important to us. 

That being said, we have sailed on Carnival only once, and their CD - Adam - actually made a difference in a positive way. Maybe that was Carnival, maybe that was Adam, maybe that was such a small sample size as to be anecdotal. 

Edited by CruiseMrB

12 hours ago, Destaw71835 said:

I don’t understand it. I couldn’t tell you a single CD’s name from any of my sailings. I do, however, remember some of my cabin attendants’ names. 

I have not yet had a cabin attendant that was around long enough for me to remember their name…..BUT I not only have remembered bar server’s names, but I’m also friends with them on that other social place 😉

15 hours ago, gmerick said:

It's all about name-dropping.  Go to a top-tier event, shake hands with Capt, CD.  When some travel agent or blog site mentions a name, folks can chime in with "CD Incognito is a good friend of mine" because they've shaken hands.  Nahhh, let me touch the forward bearing block of a Wartsilla 16V46D.

Looks like I will break up the unanimous vote.  I can remember the names and attributes of all the CD's on my 15 or so cruises over about 10 years.  Some have been excellent, most pretty good and two dreadful.

No, I do not name drop, go to top tier events or shake hands with the captain.  I can't remember any of their names except Capt Johnny because of his motorcycle.

I do think that each one had an effect on the vibe and flow of the cruise and when choosing between two almost equal itinerary and cost cruises, I would try to pick the one with the CD who I liked.

• Like 1

The only conversation I ever had with a CD was on the Grandeur in 2015.He happened to mention that he was a graduate of Boston University.

I said that I knew several alum of the college.He replied that it was not likely that he knew any.He did not know the first 4 but number 5 was his roommate.This led to a long conversation.