Can we bring sodas onboard at a port?

KKB

• 1 month later...

Just got my documents for my cruise in Dec. The cruise ticket contract says no nonalcoholic beverages can be brought on board, but Royals website still says you can bring on 12 bottles(?) or cans at embarkation. Just trying to verify if this has changed. Also, my last few cruises were with carnival which does not allow bottles so I was pleased to see Royal allows bottles. Any recent experiences to report?

Edited by xyzcruiser
grammar

The key is, Don't get greedy.  I've never had any problem bringing 1-2 cans of soda (or beer) back from a port stop.  They don't want to mess with you for that small amount.  

However, they do care about bottles.  Last week they stopped the woman in front of me who had an EMPTY Coke bottle -- don't get why -- and let me walk right through with 2 cans in my backpack.  

8 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

The key is, Don't get greedy.  I've never had any problem bringing 1-2 cans of soda (or beer) back from a port stop.  They don't want to mess with you for that small amount.  

However, they do care about bottles.  Last week they stopped the woman in front of me who had an EMPTY Coke bottle -- don't get why -- and let me walk right through with 2 cans in my backpack.  

Interesting.  I'm pretty sure I've reboarded in the past with a partially empty bottle of pepsi with no problem

49 minutes ago, dahirsh said:

Interesting.  I'm pretty sure I've reboarded in the past with a partially empty bottle of pepsi with no problem

I'm not saying my individual experience is representative of the whole cruise line's policy, but they were definitely checking bottles as we returned from the islands.  I didn't see (and didn't hang around a long time) anyone lose their bottles, but they were definitely looking at them -- multiple days.  I assumed they didn't care about 1-2 cans (they didn't even have me unzip my backpack to see what kind of cans I had), but they were looking for people putting liquor into bottles.  Just my assumption, of course.  

• Like 2

On 11/14/2023 at 5:43 PM, dahirsh said:

One thing we all must remember is that RCCL owns the ball, they make the rules and they have the discretion to enforce their rules, fully, partially, or not at all, whenever they want.  Just because they enforce a rule today or on the Oasis, doesn't mean that they will enforce it tomorrow or on the Harmony.  

• Like 2

On 11/14/2023 at 8:51 AM, smokeybandit said:

The cruise docs have been outdated for many years in regards to N/A beverages.

Speaking of outdated, people on this site still call the cruise line RCCL, even though the cruise line changed its name to Royal Caribbean International (RCI) over 20 years ago. 

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Speaking of outdated, people on this site still call the cruise line RCCL, even though the cruise line changed its name to Royal Caribbean International (RCI) over 20 years ago. 

It's been called RCI, RCG, RCCL, RCL, Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines/Limited, Royal Caribbean Group, Royal Caribbean International, whatever, for years.  I've picked my name for it, feel free to pick your name for it.  

image.thumb.png.33d96d7f2c84ca3cee706e495d55f850.png

4 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

It's been called RCI, RCG, RCCL, RCL, Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines/Limited, Royal Caribbean Group, Royal Caribbean International, whatever, for years.  I've picked my name for it, feel free to pick your name for it.  

image.thumb.png.33d96d7f2c84ca3cee706e495d55f850.png

I just found it ironic that people in this thread were talking about RCI being outdated when people in this thread used RCCL, which is very outdated. Personally I just use the correct name, which is Royal Caribbean International (RCI). 

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I just found it ironic that people in this thread were talking about RCI being outdated when people in this thread used RCCL, which is very outdated. Personally I just use the correct name, which is Royal Caribbean International (RCI). 

LOL SMH.  Have you complained about the Stock Ticker?  Has anybody asked me or anybody else who uses RCCL, what it means?  In your search engine, if you type RCCL what does it come up with?  Is there a communication issue here?  If Jason Liberty mentions Royal Caribbean Group, would you say he is incorrect, or not up to date?  Has making this a contentious issue helped the OP's post?

image.thumb.png.b63f3e374a5498badc72bbb6e3d3ce13.png

image.thumb.png.73dd4380dfe7c66f42f7ca128de26da1.png

4 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

LOL SMH.  Have you complained about the Stock Ticker?  Has anybody asked me or anybody else who uses RCCL, what it means?  In your search engine, if you type RCCL what does it come up with?  Is there a communication issue here?  If Jason Liberty mentions Royal Caribbean Group, would you say he is incorrect, or not up to date?  Has making this a contentious issue helped the OP's post?

image.thumb.png.b63f3e374a5498badc72bbb6e3d3ce13.png

image.thumb.png.73dd4380dfe7c66f42f7ca128de26da1.png

Jason Liberty is the President of Royal Caribbean Group, so no surprise he uses that term. Royal Caribbean Group (RCG) is the parent company that owns Royal Caribbean International. Just an FYI, RCG also owns Celebrity. You do bring up an excellent point that this has nothing to do with the OP’s original post. 

8 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Jason Liberty is the President of Royal Caribbean Group, so no surprise he uses that term. Royal Caribbean Group (RCG) is the parent company that owns Royal Caribbean International. Just an FYI, RCG also owns Celebrity. You do bring up an excellent point that this has nothing to do with the OP’s original post. 

Okay, so you go on and use your term/name for it and I'll continue to use mine. 

I'm out! 

6 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Okay, so you go on and use your term/name for it and I'll continue to use mine. 

I'm out! 

Not trying to make an excuse, but I spent over 20 years on active duty in the US Air Force. The  military is big on using abbreviations/acronyms. Using the wrong one could be detrimental to the success of an operation. So while it is no big deal for you to pick any term you want, in my world it is still critical to always use the correct term/abbreviation, even though my military days are behind me (some habits are tough to break). 

36 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Not trying to make an excuse, but I spent over 20 years on active duty in the US Air Force. The  military is big on using abbreviations/acronyms. Using the wrong one could be detrimental to the success of an operation. So while it is no big deal for you to pick any term you want, in my world it is still critical to always use the correct term/abbreviation, even though my military days are behind me (some habits are tough to break). 

Okay, one last post on this.  I'm a retired U.S. Army (Active Duty) Military Policeman and investigator.  I know about abbreviations/acronyms.  But, to your point, there are many many many Acronyms and abbreviations that aren't official but are used on a daily basis and everybody knows exactly what is being communicated without confusion.  To your point again, DILLIGAF!   

I've been away for a while and am I correct that my dh can bring on cans of Diet Coke if he wants in our carryon? I am guessing I can do this too for him since we will only be going through security so how would they know. 

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, up to 12 (less than 17oz ea).

This is making it more interesting for my dh not to get the UBP. He can use the 8 Diamond drink vouchers a day (his and mine) and have his Diet Coke. I will be at 8 by early/mid afternoon LOL

On 11/16/2023 at 11:21 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

To compare military use of acronyms to cruising lol.  DH is retired military and I worked for the Navy and an intel agency.  That's where it's important to get them correct.  On here, not so much as long as people know you're talking about Royal, then it's all good.  And, none of this has anything to do with OP's question at all.

Edited by BND