Fresh Fish

FlaMariner

@chengkp75  I hear you about Flash Frozen fish.  I was aware that most fish from a commercial fishing vessel is flash frozen.  However, I do not think of flash frozen fish as "Fresh"  Maybe it is just a matter of semantics.  Perhaps a better title would be LOCAL fish. 

I am lucky enough to live on the Chesapeake Bay and have a vacation home in Ocean City.  Believe me, there is a huge difference between a piece of fresh caught flounder and a piece that has been flash frozen.  Flash frozen fish can be kept in the freezer for several months and still be "good".  I just don't consider it fresh.

@dfishWould not want a tapeworm!  Actually, FDA regulations stipulate that fish to be eaten raw, such as sushi, sashimi and ceviche, must be frozen first to kill the parasites. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@chengkp75  I hear you about Flash Frozen fish.  I was aware that most fish from a commercial fishing vessel is flash frozen.  However, I do not think of flash frozen fish as "Fresh"  Maybe it is just a matter of semantics.  Perhaps a better title would be LOCAL fish. 

I am lucky enough to live on the Chesapeake Bay and have a vacation home in Ocean City.  Believe me, there is a huge difference between a piece of fresh caught flounder and a piece that has been flash frozen.  Flash frozen fish can be kept in the freezer for several months and still be "good".  I just don't consider it fresh.

@dfishWould not want a tapeworm!  Actually, FDA regulations stipulate that fish to be eaten raw, such as sushi, sashimi and ceviche, must be frozen first to kill the parasites. 

The FDA does not allow fish that has been flash frozen and then defrosted for sale to be called "fresh", it is "fresh frozen".  Most of what you get in supermarkets as "fresh" is "fresh frozen".

Beware of your "fresh" flounder, as this fish also (and about half of the fish on HAL's list) have parasite risk, so even cooked it must be checked for temperature to kill the parasites.

Yes, I think that HAL should be calling it "local" or "locally sourced" rather than "fresh".

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Beware of your "fresh" flounder, as this fish also (and about half of the fish on HAL's list) have parasite risk, so even cooked it must be checked for temperature to kill the parasites.

I know the flounder is fresh because I catch it in Assawoman Bay.  My family also catches and eats rockfish (striped bass) from the bay.  When we go off shore we frequent catch and eat big eye & yellow fin tuna, mahi mahi and wahoo. 

I like the term "locally sourced" much better than fresh.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Fred321 said:

Can I ask where this was? We are going to be in Honfleur in a few weeks and love mussels.

No, but around the port there are a bunch, lles deux ponts, Bistro Le port etc. Look for Moules Mariniere with frites. Hank (Hlitner) might have a suggestion too.

• Like 1

Most fish caught at sea by commercial fishermen is flash frozen. They can be at sea for awhile, so this makes sense. We eat a ton of fish and I  fail to see where the taste is affected. We also fish, as a matter of course, on our personal vessel, albin, and I  don't see a huge difference. Enjoy the fish!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I sure didn't expect a surcharge but it was probably in fine print somewhere.

Careful reading is key. 😉

From the press release:

Chef Morimoto’s creations are being crafted for our main Dining Room menus and will be available for a supplemental charge fleetwide in October. Menu items include:

• Fresh Black Cod Yuzu with Yogurt miso pickle vegetables, Kimchi eggplant, fried rice and garlic soy.
  • Morimoto Epice Lobster Tails with lemon foam, seasonal vegetables and Morimoto Epice.
  • Fresh Halibut XO with Asian vegetables, dried shrimp and scallop XO sauce.

This is in addition to more fresh (or locally sourced if you prefer) fish in the MDR and also additional to his specialty restaurant.

• Like 8

On 9/21/2023 at 5:07 PM, Sir PMP said:

No, but around the port there are a bunch, lles deux ponts, Bistro Le port etc. Look for Moules Mariniere with frites. Hank (Hlitner) might have a suggestion too.

Getting back to the Honfleur lunch situation, we do not have any one favorite restaurant.  When we get into town, we walk down to their small (and absolutely charming) small harbor, which is ringed with cafe/restaurants (they all have indoor and outdoor dining areas).  We stroll through the harbor reading all the chalkboards (with the daily menus) and, if it is moule season, most places will have moules et frites as a lunch special.  We also glance at the outdoor tables (and the food) and ultimately sit down at the place that just feels right.  Keep in mind that at lunch time, you might have to wait to get a table or settle for being inside.

When you get moules in France, it is nothing like getting on the ship (where you might get 5 or 6 mussels).  The norm in France is to serve you a large pot (with dozens of moules) along with a decent portion of freshly made french fries (always from fresh cut potatos).  A very simple meal, and a long-time favorite for DW and moi.   

Hank

• Like 3

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Chef Morimoto’s creations are being crafted for our main Dining Room menus and will be available for a supplemental charge fleetwide in October. Menu items include:

• Fresh Black Cod Yuzu with Yogurt miso pickle vegetables, Kimchi eggplant, fried rice and garlic soy.
  • Morimoto Epice Lobster Tails with lemon foam, seasonal vegetables and Morimoto Epice.
  • Fresh Halibut XO with Asian vegetables, dried shrimp and scallop XO sauce.

I never heard the term Epice so googled it!  It's a Morimoto creation.

"You're looking at Chef Morimoto's own house blend of spices, famously used for his sauteed lobster masala. With strong notes of cumin, chiles, garlic, coriander, and ginger, this blend is perfect for curries, stews, and all things meat."

~Nancy

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, oakridger said:

I never heard the term Epice so googled it!  It's a Morimoto creation.

"You're looking at Chef Morimoto's own house blend of spices, famously used for his sauteed lobster masala. With strong notes of cumin, chiles, garlic, coriander, and ginger, this blend is perfect for curries, stews, and all things meat."

~Nancy

While I don't doubt the chef created his own spice combination for the dish, épicé is simply a French term for 'spicy'.

Un plat épicé = a spicy dish

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It may have been better to do two press releases -- one to announce the Morimoto contributions and a separate one outlining all the different fish offerings in MDR from around the world.  The excellent list of fish varieties is kind of lost in the shuffle.  (I'll try to keep my mind on that part of it, rather than all the new stuff available to purchase.)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, oakridger said:

Thanks @cruisemom42!  I didn't even look down the page after I saw the spice blend and Morimoto's name!  Frankly, to me all that spice doesn't sound good on lobster.  Maybe on beef or pork.  I like my lobster to taste like lobster......oh yeah, and butter, lots of butter!!  😁

~Nancy

Good lobster with drawn butter is delicious.

I will admit to liking a dash of tabasco on my lobster roll though.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 0106 said:

I was looking at Rudi’s menu; ithe Dover sole now has an up charge of $15.  I guess if you want “fresh” fish you are going to have to pay for it.

This ticks me off.  Rudy's is now about $65 isn't it?  Plus $15.  Sheesh.......................

~Nancy

• Like 3