The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 22nd, 2023

richwmn

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I am a big Tolkien fan, so yay for hobbits! I'll salute businesswomen and elephants. I have a small collection of elephant statues, trunks up for luck, of course. Very true quote. Pass on the meal (fish), drink and wine. I haven't been to Sakaiminato-Matsue. 2 interesting days in history.

It's a nice 73F out and sunny. I had an eventful evening and night. BFF and I went out to eat, and by the end of the meal I was having intestinal distress. I even had to have him stop at McDonald's on the way home, to use the facilities. I started drinking Gatorade when I got home. Then my left eye became sensitive to light and was red before bedtime, so a mild flare that I treated with drops. And around 2 AM I had terrible pain in my right thigh, and back pain, that kept me up all night. My watch said I slept 2.5 hours. I went to PT at 11 with trepidation, but was able to get through my routine. The odd thing is the thigh has been an issue for weeks, but usually only very painful when I wake up, then ok during the day; no one has figured out what's going on (I think it's the hip or spine). I also caved and took ibuprofen this AM. I'm feeling ok now. But I feel like I'm falling apart!

@rafinmd I'm getting excited for your upcoming cruises.

@Haljo1935 I hope nothing serious was seen on DH's ECHO. Thanks for the photos.

@kazu I hope Ivan is his old playful self soon. 

@ottahand7 Sorry the weather might interfere with the game, but good that you will still see your friends. I used to work out in Washington County, not too far from the town of Washington).

@StLouisCruisers That'll be interesting with Ren and Colton playing against each other. You'll have quite the houseful of folks.

@Heartgrove Congrats on booking another cruise.

@smitty34877 Aww on Fred and his laying on the rug. He knows things are different. Prayers for you and the family.

@Lady Hudson I hope DH is feeling better soon. Great photos. 

@cat shepard Congrats on the Volvo; they're highly rated for safety.

@dfish You've got a busy day! Enjoy the classmates, then Farkle later.

@dobiemom Safe trip home.

@Seasick Sailor I hope your sister's friend gets better soon.

@ger_77 I hope DH continues to feel well. 

@marshhawk Great minigolf story.

@Cruzin Terri Great news that your cousin is doing well. I hope the contractor coming out personally will get things taken care of. Good to hear you're feeling better today.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I am a big Tolkien fan, so yay for hobbits! I'll salute businesswomen and elephants. I have a small collection of elephant statues, trunks up for luck, of course. Very true quote. Pass on the meal (fish), drink and wine. I haven't been to Sakaiminato-Matsue. 2 interesting days in history.

It's a nice 73F out and sunny. I had an eventful evening and night. BFF and I went out to eat, and by the end of the meal I was having intestinal distress. I even had to have him stop at McDonald's on the way home, to use the facilities. I started drinking Gatorade when I got home. Then my left eye became sensitive to light and was red before bedtime, so a mild flare that I treated with drops. And around 2 AM I had terrible pain in my right thigh, and back pain, that kept me up all night. My watch said I slept 2.5 hours. I went to PT at 11 with trepidation, but was able to get through my routine. The odd thing is the thigh has been an issue for weeks, but usually only very painful when I wake up, then ok during the day; no one has figured out what's going on (I think it's the hip or spine). I also caved and took ibuprofen this AM. I'm feeling ok now. But I feel like I'm falling apart!

@rafinmd I'm getting excited for your upcoming cruises.

@Haljo1935 I hope nothing serious was seen on DH's ECHO. Thanks for the photos.

@kazu I hope Ivan is his old playful self soon. 

@ottahand7 Sorry the weather might interfere with the game, but good that you will still see your friends. I used to work out in Washington County, not too far from the town of Washington).

@StLouisCruisers That'll be interesting with Ren and Colton playing against each other. You'll have quite the houseful of folks.

@Heartgrove Congrats on booking another cruise.

@smitty34877 Aww on Fred and his laying on the rug. He knows things are different. Prayers for you and the family.

@Lady Hudson I hope DH is feeling better soon. Great photos. 

@cat shepard Congrats on the Volvo; they're highly rated for safety.

@dfish You've got a busy day! Enjoy the classmates, then Farkle later.

@dobiemom Safe trip home.

@Seasick Sailor I hope your sister's friend gets better soon.

@ger_77 I hope DH continues to feel well. 

@marshhawk Great minigolf story.

@Cruzin Terri Great news that your cousin is doing well. I hope the contractor coming out personally will get things taken care of. Good to hear you're feeling better today.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

I suspect your thigh pain might be from a hip bursar if the pain is on the side of your hip/thigh  if you have been sleeping on that side during the night.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dobiemom said:

I’m up and packing. Getting ready to leave Las Vegas. 🙁 We had a really good time seeing friends, playing bingo (would have been more fun to win), eating at our favorite places, shopping, and just being with my GF. 

Safe travels, Marcia.

4 hours ago, Norseh2o said:

Looking forward to an exciting 2 weeks. First, a drive to Arizona with DH to visit DM (and spend some time with AZ family) then fly from Phoenix to Wisconsin for Sunday’s game at Packer Stadium. ❤️ the Packers!!

Thinking about a day trip to Madison from Green Bay, and of course, a Brewers/Cardinals game in Milwaukee! 

When we return to Phoenix, we will drive to Tucson for DH ‘s high school reunion celebration with more football (love high school sports!), good food snd great company. 

Wonderful plans!  Sounds like you are going to have a great time.  Safe travels.

7 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

I found Fred in our room yesterday lying on the rug where the hospital bed was and joined him on the floor. Dogs are incredible.

Aww.  ♥️ 💔. Dogs are incredible indeed and can be a great comfort.  I hope Fred helped.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from a hot central Texas.  It is 93F and feels line 100F, with a predicted high of 96F.  Sunday, we're supposed to be in the triple digits again for one day before the rain moves in that night.  I'll just have to get out early Sunday and get the yard mowed.  The one good thing about our higher temperatures is they will help the grass seeds germinate and the new grass to get established before winter which is predicted to be a cold one.  🤞

4 hours ago, Norseh2o said:

Thanks for The Daily! Especially loved @marshawk’s mini golf story, thank you for sharing. Prayers for all with cares and needs. 
Looking forward to an exciting 2 weeks. First, a drive to Arizona with DH to visit DM (and spend some time with AZ family) then fly from Phoenix to Wisconsin for Sunday’s game at Packer Stadium. ❤️ the Packers!!

Thinking about a day trip to Madison from Green Bay, and of course, a Brewers/Cardinals game in Milwaukee! 

When we return to Phoenix, we will drive to Tucson for DH ‘s high school reunion celebration with more football (love high school sports!), good food snd great company. 
Thanks to all who spend time with The Daily.

Your travel plans sound lovely.  I hope you have safe travels all the way and a great time.

4 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning from sunny, dry and chilly Durango. Temp was 37 when dogs and I walked this morning and I could see some light frost on the roof of the building next to me. High today expected in the low 70's. The sprinkler system is due to be turned off and of course it looks like we will go into a long dry spell, but the grass is too long anyway.

Days are falling into the same daily routine. I am getting things out of here. Today I will take some pictures of some items and post them to family to ask if anyone wants them before I send them off to thrift store. A couple are "family heirlooms" but are pretty awful....at least I think so. And dogs and I have to make a run to the bank. The dogs will love the car ride - they don't get to go during the summer.

Take care all and best wishes to all.

Susan

Susan, does the teller at the drive up window at the bank give the dogs a treat?  When we still had dogs, they loved going to the bank since they knew they'd get a treat.

4 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning to all. 

Glad I could get here before the noon hour.  

Thank you to all who contribute to this thread.  Especially Rich, Debbie, Vanessa, Ann and Dixie for their faithfulness.

I like the Mark Twain quote and I could think of a number of public figures that should take it to heart.

The meal looks good, but I will pass on the drink.  Maybe the wine.

The days are interesting.  Hobbit—not sure

i appreciate Women in Business and try to support them

Love Elephants.

i have not been to Japan.

The days in history are interesting.

Prayers for all on the cares list. I especially pray for Baby Murphy and hope we get an update soon, hearing that she is holding her own.

@JazzyVVanessa, my cousin is doing better. The wound has healed and she is no longer on oxygen.  She has started Cardiac Rehab.   She is very grateful for everyone’s prayers.

@marshhawk i love your Mini Golf Story.

@smitty34877You are one strong lady.  Prayers for you and your family as you live through this time of transition.  I hope things get easier as each day passes.  It is good that you have others to help.

@rafinmdRoy, cheers as you get ready to cruise.

@dobiemom Marcia, glad you had a good time in Las Vegas.  Sorry you didn’t win at Bingo.

I have been unhappy with the end result of the floor repair.  Still spots that are not in good shape.  The floor guy also made a mess of the baseboards and chipped the paint in the door frame when he removed the door to the bedroom.   I sent a note to the contractor and he will come with a worker next Thursday to address these problems.   i am so tired of having these people in my house.  Someday we will get this house back in shape.  Maybe!

Yesterday I ended up doing nothing.  For some reason I felt awful. i had digestive problems, was tired, couldn’t eat and just needed to rest.  So that is what I did.  i do feel better today.  Just had to work through it.  Hopefully I will get some stuff done today.

Thank you all for being here and the support you provide each and every day.

Prayers for all and Cheers to those celebrating and cruisning.

God Bless,

Terri

Terri, I'm glad you are feeling better today.  A day of rest sounds like what you needed.  I hope the contractor can get the floor and the other damage fixed, and that will be the last you see of any of them.

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

It is raining heavily here now.

I had the Pfizer booster just over 3 hours ago then we went to the beach and had ice cream.

I hope everyone is having a great day and y'all have a fantastic weekend.

Graham, I'm glad you got the updated Pfizer booster.  It's still not available at any of the pharmacies in our little town.  I hope you don't have a bad reaction to the booster.

2 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

We're having a sunny day here today but rain is in the forecast. It won't be like Juneau the last few days - almost 6 inches over two days! 

It's been a busy week with water aerobics and PT. Yesterday our local plumbing and heating company came to do the yearly inspection, drain the hot water tank, change furnace filters, etc. They rescued a new-born kitten from under the house (the neighbor stray cats) and my friend who was here for tea took it in immediately! A small problem with a separated sewer pipe (partial) was discovered so they'll be back Monday to fix that and replace a bulb on the scrubber in the furnace. I can't do this stuff anymore so am grateful for the help. 

DS is coming over this afternoon to clean out the gutters. I figure it's time - there's a thistle growing in one section and it wants to bloom! He'll also clean out the dryer vent and do a couple of other small "son-do" jobs. I try to make his time worthwhile and not bug him too much. 

@smitty34877. You are a strong woman with a great support group. We just did my DH's Celebration of Life on Saturday. We did a big picnic with hamburgers, etc. and a very casual approach to the day. We had about 50 people there and it was the best time. Later, sitting in the recliner thinking about the day, I felt a sense of peace and release. I'd sent him off the way he wanted me to and it felt good. I hope that whatever way you decide on to "send off" your DH you feel that same sense of peace. 

Karen

Karen, I'm happy the COL for Phil gave you a sense of peace and release.

49 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I suspect your thigh pain might be from a hip bursar if the pain is on the side of your hip/thigh  if you have been sleeping on that side during the night.

Graham, you might be right about the bursa being the culprit for Vanessa's @JazzyV pain.  If that is the case, a steroid injection in the bursa should help ease the pain.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon, Dailyites!  So very touching to see Fred on the carpet.  Our doggies do know what is going on and are a great comfort.    

Pat has an ultrasound this afternoon, and we booked a cruise yesterday, so I hope we haven't jinxed it!  We are going to just do the 2-week TA on Oosterdam that we had originally booked for the whole month.  That, and a couple of days in Barcelona will be a good test of our ability to travel.  Of course, booking late, the cruise was cheap and the flights expensive!  We will be in Barcelona for Halloween.  And we just got an email offering a paid upgrade, but I think we'll wait and see if they offer something better...  I imagine it means the ship is not full...

Thinking of you all on a busy weekend!   

• Like 29

Made it home just now. We stopped at Peggy Sue’s Diner for breakfast. We both had “The Blob.” 😋 I bought a slice of coconut cream pie for my DMiL (GF bought one for her DH). And I bought my lotto tix. 🤞

I’m going to work for a few hours to save my vacation days. Then see what I need to buy at the grocery store. This weekend is volunteering at church (PowerPoint/media). Then maybe one week of work if the government shuts down. We’ll see. 🙄

• Like 20

21 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Yes the dogs get treats at the bank although often she does not see the Chihuahua since he is such a little guy. I break the treat in half (HORRORS!!!).

Susan

Susan, I'm glad the teller takes care of her four legged customers.  Our smaller dachshund was always right up front and if possible at the window waiting for her treat.  The other one had been "told" by the first one to stay on the floor of the backseat, so she was not seen.  I learned to ask for a treat of the second one.

16 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Good afternoon, Dailyites!  So very touching to see Fred on the carpet.  Our doggies do know what is going on and are a great comfort.    

Pat has an ultrasound this afternoon, and we booked a cruise yesterday, so I hope we haven't jinxed it!  We are going to just do the 2-week TA on Oosterdam that we had originally booked for the whole month.  That, and a couple of days in Barcelona will be a good test of our ability to travel.  Of course, booking late, the cruise was cheap and the flights expensive!  We will be in Barcelona for Halloween.  And we just got an email offering a paid upgrade, but I think we'll wait and see if they offer something better...  I imagine it means the ship is not full...

Ann, I  hope the ultrasound shows that everything is just fine.  Congratulations on booking the TA.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

I made an appointment to get the next covid vaccination a week from today, which is almost three weeks before I leave for Spain.

18 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

We are going to just do the 2-week TA on Oosterdam that we had originally booked for the whole month.  That, and a couple of days in Barcelona will be a good test of our ability to travel.  Of course, booking late, the cruise was cheap and the flights expensive!  We will be in Barcelona for Halloween.  And we just got an email offering a paid upgrade, but I think we'll wait and see if they offer something better...  I imagine it means the ship is not full...

I received a similar email. My booking is for an obstructed OV. Upgrading to a verandah isn't even remotely in my mind, and I'm not sure that $298 for an unobstructed OV is even that appealing.

• Like 18

30 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Best wishes for Pat’s ultrasound, Ann.

Nice on the cruise booking - just selfishly wish you had chosen a different ship for your TA but the prices would have been higher as the ship is nearly sold out.

I hope you and Pat enjoy the cruise 😊 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I received a similar email. My booking is for an obstructed OV. Upgrading to a verandah isn't even remotely in my mind, and I'm not sure that $298 for an unobstructed OV is even that appealing.

I think we are (almost) neighbours!  I was going to offer ours for the Cabin Crawl, but you might not need it... 

I think unobstructed would be on deck 1, and I don't like the layout of those.  I like deck 4.  I have been trying to get into the HAL site but it says "Bad Request" when I try to open the page with the access to the room layouts.

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 17

56 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon from a hot central Texas.  It is 93F and feels line 100F, with a predicted high of 96F.  Sunday, we're supposed to be in the triple digits again for one day before the rain moves in that night.  I'll just have to get out early Sunday and get the yard mowed.  The one good thing about our higher temperatures is they will help the grass seeds germinate and the new grass to get established before winter which is predicted to be a cold one.  🤞

Your travel plans sound lovely.  I hope you have safe travels all the way and a great time.

Susan, does the teller at the drive up window at the bank give the dogs a treat?  When we still had dogs, they loved going to the bank since they knew they'd get a treat.

Terri, I'm glad you are feeling better today.  A day of rest sounds like what you needed.  I hope the contractor can get the floor and the other damage fixed, and that will be the last you see of any of them.

Graham, I'm glad you got the updated Pfizer booster.  It's still not available at any of the pharmacies in our little town.  I hope you don't have a bad reaction to the booster.

Karen, I'm happy the COL for Phil gave you a sense of peace and release.

Graham, you might be right about the bursa being the culprit for Vanessa's @JazzyV pain.  If that is the case, a steroid injection in the bursa should help ease the pain.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda.

It is 8 hours since I had the vaccine and at the moment I am fine just a tiny tenderness at the injection site.

• Like 16

48 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I hope Pat's ultrasound is fine Ann.

Nice to hear you have booked another cruise.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@Cruzin Terri has Ophelia passed your place yet.  I hope no major problems.

Roy

Roy,

it seems that Ophelia is north of us.  However the skies are getting dark and I think we may get some rain and maybe some wind.  i think we are out of the danger area.  

Thank you for thinking of us.

Terri

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I think we are (almost) neighbours!  I was going to offer ours for the Cabin Crawl, but you might not need it... 

I think unobstructed would be on deck 1, and I don't like the layout of those.  I like deck 4.  I have been trying to get into the HAL site but it says "Bad Request" when I try to open the page with the access to the room layouts.

I was able to get to the deck plans. Yes, unobstructed would be deck 1. I try to avoid locations with public space above.

• Like 15

I managed to get a half hour nap in the recliner.

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Graham, I sleep on my back. I used to sleep on that side, but had a different pain, that was relieved by a steroid injection into the bursa.

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

Lenda, I had the bursitis treated. This pain is down the whole side of the thigh, almost to the knee. When I try to move in bed or roll over, I have terrible pain in that area.

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

I hope Pat's US turns out ok. Congrats on booking the TA.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I managed to get a half hour nap in the recliner.

Graham, I sleep on my back. I used to sleep on that side, but had a different pain, that was relieved by a steroid injection into the bursa.

Lenda, I had the bursitis treated. This pain is down the whole side of the thigh, almost to the knee. When I try to move in bed or roll over, I have terrible pain in that area.

I hope Pat's US turns out ok. Congrats on booking the TA.

I'm sorry to hear the extent of your pain Vanessa.

I sleep on my back but have a tendency to sleep on my right side which causes pain in the side of my hip in the morning only.

My musculoskeletal doctor and physio said steroid injections wouldn't help me because I have moderate/severe hip arthritis causing the pain and hip replacements is the way forward.

I wonder if x-ray's of your hips might show the same.

Pauline sometimes gets sciatica pain which runs all the way down one side of her leg and this might be something you might get investigated.

Wishing you good luck in finding an answer Vanessa.

Graham xx.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I'm sorry to hear the extent of your pain Vanessa.

I sleep on my back but have a tendency to sleep on my right side which causes pain in the side of my hip in the morning only.

My musculoskeletal doctor and physio said steroid injections wouldn't help me because I have moderate/severe hip arthritis causing the pain and hip replacements is the way forward.

I wonder if x-ray's of your hips might show the same.

Pauline sometimes gets sciatica pain which runs all the way down one side of her leg and this might be something you might get investigated.

Wishing you good luck in finding an answer Vanessa.

Graham xx.

Thanks Graham. I do plan to ask to get a hip x-ray and maybe also an MRI of my back (which a few years ago showed a lot of degenerative disease, especially on the right side and some mild spinal stenosis). 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Wow -  HAL is on the ball.  When we booked, immediately Pat's AARP OBC showed up, and today he sent off my shareholder proof for my OBC, and just a few hours later, there it is on the itinerary.  I think we are set!

Ultrasound went smoothly.  It was done at Camosun College and he had a student and a teacher doing it.   Mainly checking his kidneys.  I guess we will hear from the urologist if there is anything going on....

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Ok., I totally messed up and waited too long to get RomeCabs from the airport to the hotel.  The hotel has not responded to my request for pick up, guess I will send that again.   What are my other options?

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and I need to order a limo for trip to the Atlanta Airport.  And then, I'm done!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good day and thanks all!  Debbie, yum on that dinner!   @cat shepardcongrats on the new car,  let us know what you think, my next will be a hybrid as well! 
@smitty34877 sending hugs, dogs just know!  
@luvteaching great advice!  I thought it was so special that you honoured the Canadian roots in your family with Nanaimo bars!  It sounded like a perfect celebration. 

@kazu hoping your dear pup feels better soon! 
@Vict0rianncongrats on the cruise! 
@ger_77glad your DH is feeling better, agree about the Bobbsey twins, lol!  
@marshhawkthey book quickly,  just take a taxi from the official line as it is a set rate. 

We thoroughly enjoyed Sakaiminato and area.  World class gardens and sculptures and a Black castle with canal boat rides!  

IMG_1599.jpeg

IMG_1593.jpeg

IMG_1598.jpeg

IMG_1591.jpeg

IMG_1589.jpeg

IMG_1585.jpeg

IMG_1552.jpeg

IMG_1587.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Ok., I totally messed up and waited too long to get RomeCabs from the airport to the hotel.  The hotel has not responded to my request for pick up, guess I will send that again.   What are my other options?

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and I need to order a limo for trip to the Atlanta Airport.  And then, I'm done!

there are lots of cabs at the airport.  I wouldn’t worry about booking in advance.

Just go to the cab area and the line moves pretty fast.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1