Terrible customer service and overcharge on bidding

ccheng6401

I tried the bidding game for the first time and got an email notification saying Princess accepted my $80 bid ($40pp) for upgrade. However, I found two pending charges on my card the next morning - $40 and $84.  The total is $124.  I called princess customer service and the agent I talked to was not helpful. She insisted that the additional $44 is extra charge to upgrade the stateroom but I only agree to $80. Where did Princess find those customer service agents?  They don't understand anything and they can't fix any problems. The lady I talked to repeatedly asked me to describe the bidding process at least 10 times.

Should I dispute through credit card directly?   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ccheng6401 said:

I tried the bidding game for the first time and got an email notification saying Princess accepted my $80 bid ($40pp) for upgrade. However, I found two pending charges on my card the next morning - $40 and $84.  The total is $124.  I called princess customer service and the agent I talked to was not helpful. She insisted that the additional $44 is extra charge to upgrade the stateroom but I only agree to $80. Where did Princess find those customer service agents?  They don't understand anything and they can't fix any problems. The lady I talked to repeatedly asked me to describe the bidding process at least 10 times.

When I have difficulty with any customer service rep over the phone, I hang up and dial again.  You have a better chance of getting a competent agent. As it sounds, you’re not likely to find one less competent.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ccheng6401 said:

If it's just pending charges, one should disappear in the next day or two. You haven't been charged anything unless they are posted. I would give it a little time and, if both get posted, then dispute it with your credit card.

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

If it's just pending charges, one should disappear in the next day or two. You haven't been charged anything unless they are posted. I would give it a little time and, if both get posted, then dispute it with your credit card.

Agree.  Let it actually post first.  If it posts incorrectly, then dispute the incorrect one.

How did they ever come up with $84?  SMH

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ccheng6401 said:

If it's pending, I don't think you can dispute. Sounds like the $40 will drop off. 

The $84 may include $4 in additional vacation protection package fees.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, startedwithamouse said:

If it's pending, I don't think you can dispute. Sounds like the $40 will drop off. 

The $84 may include $4 in additional vacation protection package fees.

I tried that, but that’s not 8% or 12%.  If they have PVP ins.

• Like 1

I agree with BamaVol, if you can't get anywhere with a customer service rep; hang up, wait a few minutes and dial again; you may get a rep that knows what he/she is doing. I had trouble with my Medallion App on the phone, two different customer service reps said, "the app on the phone will only work after final payment"!  What?  I then did a chat session, and that rep told me that's not correct, he put in a service ticket and in 24 hours, the app was working.  So if you get an incompetent rep, hang up and dial again. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I tried that, but that’s not 8% or 12%.  If they have PVP ins.

I don't have any protection or insurance and I live in OR no sales tax.  I think Princess simply over charged me by $44.  I believe both $84 and $44 charges will go through because I just saw that Princess sent me an updated booking confirmation. Now the new fare includes the $44 overcharge. 

I am shocked that Princess accepted my $80 offer with and email confirming but turned around and charged me more.  

Princess customer service agents are all terrible. I talked to 5 of them and they gave me different answers. The last one told me I need to get my travel agent involved if I want my money back. I just asked my travel agency to help.  I don't think I will ever respond to Princess's bidding invitations again.    

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

Totally agree with this. It’s only pending for now. See what “sticks” then deal with it. Your CC company likely won’t deal with it while pending either.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

Totally agree with this. It’s only pending for now. See what “sticks” then deal with it. Your CC company likely won’t deal with it while pending either.

No, they won’t, you’re right.

They have to see it go through, then @ccheng6401can dispute it. 
Let us know what happens.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

No, they won’t, you’re right.

They have to see it go through, then @ccheng6401can dispute it. 
Let us know what happens.

57 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

Right, no cc company will allow a dispute of a charge until it actually goes through as posted.

I think the real problem here is that when contacting Princess no one seems to have any idea what the extra charge is.

And yes, we all want to hear how this is eventually resolved.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ccheng6401 said:

I don't have any protection or insurance and I live in OR no sales tax.  I think Princess simply over charged me by $44.  I believe both $84 and $44 charges will go through because I just saw that Princess sent me an updated booking confirmation. Now the new fare includes the $44 overcharge. 

I am shocked that Princess accepted my $80 offer with and email confirming but turned around and charged me more.  

Princess customer service agents are all terrible. I talked to 5 of them and they gave me different answers. The last one told me I need to get my travel agent involved if I want my money back. I just asked my travel agency to help.  I don't think I will ever respond to Princess's bidding invitations again.    

Your TA owns your reservation and should be doing the legwork. They're earning commission on your booking, let them deal with this. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ccheng6401 said:

Don't be shocked. From what I can tell, they need to hire an accounting department, because their record-keeping as far as what customers have paid is the absolute WORST.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BamaVol said:

When I have difficulty with any customer service rep over the phone, I hang up and dial again.  You have a better chance of getting a competent agent. As it sounds, you’re not likely to find one less competent.

I do this with service agents whose English is unintelligible.  But fortunately I can understand most of the Filipino accents.  I have never gotten the same agent when I call back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ccheng6401 said:

You definitely have to deal through the travel agent. Even though you bid directly, Princess will not talk with you about charges if you have booked through a travel agent.

I would definitely recommend against disputing the charge with your credit card company. If you dispute the charge and the charge is reversed, then Princess may cancel your cruise for nonpayment. I wouldn't take that risk for $48.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, memoak said:

If you upgraded to a higher class of stateroom there may be an increase in crew appreciation I do not know the length of your cruise

Not sure why that would be charged at the time of upgrade unless maybe if you had paid the CA in advance. Usually it is a daily charge once onboard if you don't have a package.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ccheng6401 said:

When you got your confirmation, what value did it state? The $44 should not be combined with your cruise fare, what was the $44 called on your invoice?

2 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

You definitely have to deal through the travel agent. Even though you bid directly, Princess will not talk with you about charges if you have booked through a travel agent.

I would definitely recommend against disputing the charge with your credit card company. If you dispute the charge and the charge is reversed, then Princess may cancel your cruise for nonpayment. I wouldn't take that risk for $48.

A  friend of ours tried a CC dispute. Lost the dispute and is now banned by Princess.

Best to save disputes to a very last resort.

There is no charge until it is final. Pending charges are often just checks to make sure that there is sufficient credit available or as a deposit for some businesses. No need to get concerned or upset until final charge shows up.

8 hours ago, Pickels said:

I agree with BamaVol, if you can't get anywhere with a customer service rep; hang up, wait a few minutes and dial again; you may get a rep that knows what he/she is doing. I had trouble with my Medallion App on the phone, two different customer service reps said, "the app on the phone will only work after final payment"!  What?  I then did a chat session, and that rep told me that's not correct, he put in a service ticket and in 24 hours, the app was working.  So if you get an incompetent rep, hang up and dial again. 

I wish someone would find out what exactly IT is doing to fix the access.  Perhaps the phone reps don't even know.  My impression is that PCL staff would see it as a big black box.

2 hours ago, memoak said:

That would have no impact the cost of crew appreciation is the same regardless of package it is by class of stateroom 

But she upgraded her cabin. If she went from an Inside/Ocean View/Balcony to some sort of suite, that's an extra $1 or $2 a day in Crew Appreciation depending on whether it's a mini-suite or bigger. That said, CA is included in Plus & Premier and my understanding is that you don't pay it for Standard fare until the cruise is over (since you can remove it during the cruise).

• Like 1

We didn't prepaid crew appreciation and we are doing Princess Standard for this two night cruise. 

Our original booking confirmation was from the TA fare $138 + taxes $200 = $338 (interior)

The updated booking confirmation was sent by Princess: fare $ 298 + taxes $164 = $462 (mini suite)

I think TA and Princess handle the fare & taxes differently so I am only comparing the total.  

The increase in total is $124.  That matches what Princess charged on my card $84 + $40.  However, I only offered $80 to upgrade. 

The bid acceptance email was from  info@princessupgrade.princess.com and I don't think it is a 3rd party.  The five Princess agents I talked to could see everything but they don't know why I am paying  $44 more. 

Our TA is working with Princess to sort this out.  This is our first bid and we didn't expect the hidden charge.  $44 is not a lot but what if we were bidding for a 10 days or 20 days cruise? The hidden charge could be hundreds.  We will get to the bottom of this and report back. 

bidding.png.41ffd0272a6e8aa1e929937af16c8a30.png     

• Thanks 1