Brooklyn to Bayonne on QM2 and Serenity

rafinmd

Day CS5, Tuesday, October 10, 2023, Saint John, New Brunswick

Queen Mary 2 is at sea enroute to Boston

The day started with a bit of a technology hiccup.  One of the first things I do in the morning is download the latest Reflections and Dinner menu.  There was no online Reflections until about the time we were cleared and I hope people who do not get paper Reflections were not too inconvenienced.  I also did not check the day on the menu and it was not until I was in the dining room that I realized I had downloaded the Monday menu.

I was up about 5:30 and down to the Bistro for coffee about 6:10.  I went up to Marketplace for breakfast about 7:30 and the sun came up on the aft lido deck just a little later.

dawn1010.jpg

We docked in Saint John a little about 8:30 behind Liberty of the Seas.  That was supposed to be my first ship of 2023 out of Fort Lauderdale in late April but I cancelled it since I was then still in recovery from Pneumonia.  It is a huge ship which dwarfs Serenity.  It is just a bit larger than Queen Mary 2 (5%) but carries 40% more passengers.

massive.jpg

We had the weekly crew about 10, and while there were a number of announcements, I don’t think the drill ever involved any passenger areas.  I left the ship about 10:30.  It was a much easier disembarkation than Halifax, with a relatively short ramp to the Diamond Jubilee Cruise Terminal.  On the way out I passed a very interesting model of the Original Queen Mary which the caption said was a real remote controlled model which could actually float.  While I have never sailed Queen Mary I have visited her a number of times as a hotel in Long Beach.

mary.jpg

My only plan for Saint John was lunch at Tim Hortons.  It looks like the one I have visited in the past is now closed and is now inside the Skywalk at Brunswick Square.  It is up a steep hill from the waterfront but the Skywalk has elevators which make the climb easy.  It was small but had all the essentials for my lunch of Chicken Noodle Soup and Steeped Tea.

lunch10.jpg

I walked down by the street and it was a steep drop, and then headed back to the terminal.  I left Canadian soil for the last time about 12:35, and headed up to the Lido for skim milk and Ice Cream.

It was a bit of a busy afternoon.  Afternoon tea was at 3:30.  After my tea and scone I stopped at the library and picked up the latest Sudoku.  

library.jpg

All aboard was 5:30 but at 5 I had my Zoom meeting with my church’s finance meeting.  I left the meeting at 5:45 and when I went out on deck we were already moving.  We started moving forward past Liberty of the Seas before finally turning out to sea.  Louis sang at 6:12.  Sunset was officially 6:48 but I caught it dropping below the clouds about 6:25.

dusk1010.jpg

There were only me, one other guest, and 2 Ambassador Hosts at the shared table for dinner.  My choices for the evening were Beef Consume, Torchietti Al Pesto, and Lemon Tart.

dishes10.jpg

There was no evening program in the Galaxy Lounge.  Sara Combs had put on a show in the Stardust Club while I was on deck for Sailaway.  I spent a little bit of time with Joel Spire in the Avenue Saloon, catching most of his first set.  I did not try for a photo until the end of the set while his wife was with him at the piano.

spire.jpg

By the time I left the Avenue the White Party had started in the Crystal Cove.  I did not stay there long.  

spire.jpg

We gained an hour as we returned to Eastern Time but most of it was spent at the computer and I headed off to bed about 10PM new time.  

Roy

• Like 10

17 hours ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

Thanks for the update, Roy.  However, extremely disappointing, and very surprising given the availability of clotted cream previously on Crystal.  It was one of the things that, to my husband and me, set Crystal apart from other luxury lines.  (I know it may be a minor point for some, and I understand that, but it does loom large for us [and possibly for some others as well]).

Thanks again.

Absolutely no need to qualify this statement! If it's important to you, then it matters. I'm the same way with Champagne. I really don't need much on a cruise, but if the bubbles aren't good, it just puts a damper on the experience for me. 🥂

• Like 6

3 hours ago, USC Adventurer said:

Roy,

Thanks for the update about New Brunswick.  Youi haven't mentioned much about the beautiful fall colors.  are ou seeing the fall colors and what do you think?  Thanks for all your postings.

I've been spoiled by great color growing up in upstate New York and have not seen the greatest of color.  This is from Quebec and I don't think it has gotten better:

There is some but I suspect most of the trees are evergreens so only a few splotches of color:

P1220080.thumb.JPG.79e3cea212189ed29a6df53f63085639.JPG

Roy

• Like 4

Day CS6, Wednesday, October 11, 2023, Portland, ME

Queen Mary 2 is in Boston

I slept until about 5:30 but was up in time for coffee in the Bistro a little after 6.  I headed up to Marketplace a little before 7 and the sun came up on the aft lido deck about 6:50.

dawn1011.jpg

I have been to Portland a number of times, starting I think in 1995 when I first boarded the Ferry Scotia Prince to Nova Scotia on a land trip.  I did the same in 2000 with my vehicle on the way to Newfoundland, and have been there on cruises with Blount Small Ship Adventures in 2015 and on the Veendam in 2013,

The terminal in Portland is in the same location as previous cruises but there is a new building, and the city is right on the water.  

portland.jpg

I had no real plans for Portland but got off for a short walk about 11:30, walking down to where the NCL Pearl was docked.  I am told the dock the Scotia Prince used was another half mile down the waterfront but the building it used is gone.

A narrow gauge scenic train left from the cruise terminal area:

minitrain.jpg

I returned for a late lunch of greens from marketplace, Grilled Ham and Cheese, and Ice Cream.

I returned to the Trident Grill space later in the afternoon to handle some business that required a combination of internet and a good US Cell Phone signal.

All aboard as 3:30 and when I went out shortly after that lines were already being released. 

The last lines were let go with a sound of the horn at 3:42 and we started pulling out of the harbor, making a wide swing toward the sea.  Louis sang at 4:03.  A new twist has been added to our departure ritual with Louis followed by a Calypso medley of Over the Rainbow and What A Wonderful World.  

Tom DeFrank’s final presentation was at 4:30, more anecdotes of his encounters with our Presidents, primarily Gerald Ford and Bush 41.

Sunrise was officially 6:04 but there was some nice color in the sky a little after that.  I also paused for an overview of the pool deck.

pooldeck.jpg

dusk1011.jpg

It was just me and 2 Ambassador Hosts at the shared table.  My choices for the evening were Roast Prime Rib and a Blueberry Slice.  I did not see an appetizer I fancied so I had a second type of bread.

dishes11.jpg

The featured entertainment was the Crystal Ensemble of Singers and Dancers with “Crystal on Broadway”.  I was getting drowsy and left about a half hour into the show.

Roy

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rafinmd said:

The last lines were let go with a sound of the horn at 3:42 and we started pulling out of the harbor, making a wide swing toward the sea.  Louis sang at 4:03.  A new twist has been added to our departure ritual with Louis followed by a Calypso medley of Over the Rainbow and What A Wonderful World.  

Actually, the "Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" medley is by an Hawaiian singer, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole.  The story of his recording this song and his life and career is on Wikipedia at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Kamakawiwoʻole.  He died in 1997 at age 38, and the song has become famous and in 2021 was placed in the National Recording Registry.  It is a beautiful medley. I'm really glad Crystal added it to its sailaway.  I heard it the one time I was on deck at sailaway on our September cruise.  Don't know if they play it every time.

Phyllis

Edited by JusttheTwoofUs
Additional comments
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Day CS7, Thursday, October 12, 2023, Newport RI

Queen Mary 2 is at sea enroute to Brooklyn

I was up shortly after 5 and had my final load of laundry in the washer just after 5:30.  The load got moved to the dryer about 6:45and then on to breakfast, with the sun rising just as I finished gathering my meal in Marketplace.  

dawn1012.jpg
After finishing breakfast it was time to pick up the clothes, and packing started in earnest.  The anchor dropped about 8:45 and we were situated in what seemed like a rather narrow gap between Rose Island to the north and Fort Adams to the south. 

adams.jpg

rose.jpg

I left the ship about 10:30 for a short walk in Newport.adams.jpg  I have been in Newport many times (I think most recently in 2017) so there was not a lot I needed to do and took just a short walk around, walking to Queen Ann Square and passing by Trinity Church (Anglican) one of the oldest churches in Newport.

trinity.jpg

I then returned to the tender pier.  I was in Newport for about an hour.

serenityri.jpg

Something I have never done before is have lunch on the aft Lido deck (Often breakfast but never lunch) and it was just an ideal day for that.  

lunch12.jpg

The final Crystal Visions program of the cruise was Jean-Pierre Andrieux on the history of New York, with a special emphasis on passenger ships.  I watched on TV while packing continued, and the big bag was pretty much ready before dinner.

Sunset was about 6:10 but I would be busy then and caught it close to setting about 5:55.

dusk1012.jpg
My final entertainment event was comedian Steve Caouette in the Stardust Club at 6PM.  The show was a bit longer than expected but very nice.

caouette.jpg

Despite being over half an hour late I was still seated at the usual shared table with 2 Ambassador Hosts and one lady.  My selections for my final dinner were Chicken Consume, Homemade Mafaldine Pasta, and Roasted Almond Ice cream.

dishes12.jpg

I am hoping to wrap up this post and be in bed by about 10.  

Roy

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you Roy for your last posting and I’m glad you had a nice day in Newport Rhode Island. You had a busy day I guess between the laundry and the packing and the walking around Newport and your lunch looked very very good on the F deck and I’m sure it was so thanks again for keeping us so well informed about your voyage and I hope you have a safe and interesting trip home tomorrow. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“Over the Rainbow” rendition by Israel (IZ) is truly beautiful and truly original and we have all been inspired by it. Like many of us, the first time I heard it in Hawaii, many, many years ago. it brought me to tears. 

Unfortunately, it is now an overused replay at weddings, funerals, bachelor selection TV shows, talent fests and anything else maudlin. I don’t think it does justice to IZ’s honest and humble creativity to join the commercial masses in playing it at sail away.  But that’s JMO. 

• Like 2

It was over all too quickly.  Thank you for taking us along with you in the Queens Grill on the first cruise and describing your experiences as you made a return to Serenity on your second.   I wish you continued good health to allow you to travel more frequently because we all enjoy your travel writing.  Be well and hope our paths cross again on a ship somewhere.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Roy, I’ve very much enjoyed following your travels this trip, as always. And a special thanks for posting the daily Waterside menus. It’s been fun to peruse them and anticipate my own voyage in ‘24. 😉

Safe travels home. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've been following along since the QM2 and have enjoyed all of your posts (as usual!) We have missed you in the past and hope to be hearing more of your travels in the future!

Thank you for taking the time to post!

Best,

L&J

• Like 1