Brooklyn to Bayonne on QM2 and Serenity

rafinmd

I am now very close to beginning a trip that has evolved in the last couple of months.  I will board Cunard’s Queen Mary 2 Friday (September 29) in New York (Brooklyn) and sail northward to Quebec October 5-6.  I then move a few hundred meters to the waiting Crystal Serenity and return to New York (Bayonne) disembarking October 13.  

These are both very familiar ships to me with a couple of twists.  I have 103 nights on Queen Mary 2, all but 23 nights on Transatlantic crossings.  Up to now, I have always sailed in Britannia Class and very much enjoyed it.  I really never saw any reason to upgrade until Covid hit.  I was due to sail Sydney (Australia) to New York, about 46 days, but as Covid hit I got kicked off the ship in Perth/Fremantle after only 10 days.  I was given a huge credit which I needed to apply and can no longer do long cruises so this trip will be in Princess Grill.  I have known there were some upgrades going to the grills (an extra lounge, extra deck space, and a different restaurant) but otherwise I felt much like any other passenger.  On this voyage I will learn what other differences I was missing but did not realize.

I have 170 nights on Crystal Serenity and positively love it but the twist here is that the Crystal I have loved went out of business and is now under new ownership so I will get a taste of how things have changed that matter to me.  It will be a bit of a learning experience.

I am establishing 2 threads for this trip.  The one on the Crystal forum will cover the entire trip with the QM2 portion also serving as my journey to meet my ship.  The one on the Cunard forum will only cover my travels to Quebec.  My postings will generally be identical with the threads differing primarily by the comments of Crystal regulars on one and comments of Cunarders on the other.  2 nights at home before I head to New York.

Roy

• Like 21

Aloha. I always enjoy your posts and experiences and wish you smooth sailing. As top tier with Cunard, you will enjoy PG. We have been blessed to sail Cunard since the 1970s across the entire fleet in service since then and also Britannia, PG and since her maiden voyage in 2004 in the QM2, and same in QV. My parents sailed CC since the Harmony and now as we enter more senior status we hope to do likewise but I thoroughly enjoy Keiths writing and experiences. Enough of my soapbox lol. Enjoy, be safe and write about the food and post pics if you can!

• Like 2

I always look forward to your LIVES, Roy and so glad you are going. 👍 

I hope you have a fabulous time and look forward to your impressions of your sailing.

Safe travels and very smooth seas to you and Bon Voyage 🙂 

IMG_1214.jpeg.11a9380be13010af9eae9174eaa5288b.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, USC Adventurer said:

roy,

i just noticed that serenity and qm 2 are going to pass each other sojme time today.  did you see that?

I know they had to but I won't see it.  QM2 and Serenity are both in Halifax October 1.

Roy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Greetings from Northeast Regional Train 174.  Running about 20 minutes late but I should make NY by hotel checkin time anyway.

Roy

So much fun. I logged in just in time!

Bon voyage!