Cruising right after Thanksgiving

shipgeeks

42 minutes ago, George C said:

We have done week after thanksgiving for more than a decade , the only time we saw lots of children was on oasis class ships , very few on all others .

Agree, B2B on Radiance Class week of and after Thanksgiving for yrs. On these longer Cruises at most 20-25 Kids the week of Holiday, less week after. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

We are looking at a 9-nighter that starts on the day after Thanksgiving. Is the following week a school break for many kids?  

Flying to the port may be very expensive and crowded, but if you fly on Thanksgiving day, you should be good.

Fewer kids because it's a 9 night.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Agree, B2B on Radiance Class week of and after Thanksgiving for yrs. On these longer Cruises at most 20-25 Kids the week of Holiday, less week after. 

We have done voyager and freedom class the week after and no issues both multiple times . I was expecting same on oasis class and I was wrong.

45 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Flying to the port may be very expensive and crowded, but if you fly on Thanksgiving day, you should be good.

I have cruised a few times now the week immediately succeeding Thanksgiving and have paid some pretty high prices for flights flying in on the Friday or Saturday (1 or 2 days after Thanksgiving) before the cruise.  That being said, the reduced cost of sailing usually made up for that. The week after that, to me, is the best value.  

If I'm looking at the schedule right, my guess is the OP is looking at Grandeur Nov 29.  That's a nice looking itinerary.  I'd be willing to pay a little premium to sail that one.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1

Actually, Vision, November 24 - December 2.

For us, no flights involved; we can do a local bus company package with transportation both ways.

Thanks for all the replies.  Looks like we are heading towards doing it!  I just hope they have the usual turkey dinner on the menu one night!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

For us, no flights involved; we can do a local bus company package with transportation both ways.

Thanks for all the replies.  Looks like we are heading towards doing it!  I just hope they have the usual turkey dinner on the menu one night!

My bad, I only looked at 2024 dates.  That is a really cheap price if you are Ok with an inside cabin.  Have fun.

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

We are on that cruise. We are a short Uber to the port and away we sail 

I am cruising that week also (leave Saturday for a Sunday cruise). Thanksgiving is always at my house with the whole family, and then we decorate for Christmas on Friday, so that might be a bit stressful—I’ll have to definitely be fully packed before Thanksgiving!

Cruise fares seemed cheaper than normal that week. Air fares, however, were on the expensive side. I’m a little worried about crowds and a holiday airline meltdown, but I’m not letting that stop me.

2 hours ago, trihawks1 said:

We always try to cruise between thanksgiving and Christmas for two reasons…kids are back in school and cruise fares tend to be a tad bit cheaper. 

For a decade or so we did thanksgiving week then we discovered we could do a grand suite for just a few dollars more if we did the following week , back then I was paying about 1500 each for grand suite on voyager class.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2023 at 7:22 AM, shipgeeks said:

We are looking at a 9-nighter that starts on the day after Thanksgiving. Is the following week a school break for many kids?  

I cruised out of NY on Anthem last year right after Thanksgiving and there were few kids on board. Was a really nice cruise.

• Like 1