What to Wear?

katmigordon

Many years ago, I stopped packing my tuxedo for cruises.  On a seven day Mex Riv Princess cruise, there will be two formal nights.  I will wear a sports coat, dress shirt, slacks, tie; many people will be much more informal.  Please don't wear shorts or t-shirts or wife-beaters to dinner on formal night!  I don't like seeing jeans, but some people will wear them.  

The other five nights, Princess calls "smart casual" or some such, I will wear a polo shirt and slacks.  I think the "rules" are no shorts or t-shirts.  Just wear something nice.

Now that I don't pack a tux, I don't need patent leather shoes.  I typically bring only two pairs of shoes -- water sandals and my daily dress shoes.  My wife, on the other hand, brings one suitcase of shoes, another of purses, ...  But we drive, don't fly, so we don't pay a fortune in luggage fees.

@Outerdog is right, anything nice looking is sufficient, and DON'T STRESS OVER IT!

• Like 3

Formal nights are an opportunity for people to dust off their finest duds and play dress-up, pretending that they are Astors or Vanderbilts on an ocean liner from days gone by…if they wish. But playing along is not a requirement. They do turn the ship into a different atmosphere, no doubt about it. But it is up to you whether you want to be an observer or a participant. 

• Like 7

OP, despite what others will try to have you believe, there simply is no dress code. 

Dress CODE = Dress SUGGESTION

Yes, yes I know, the Princess website is peppered with suggestions that may sound like rules, but these suggestions are far from rules or codes of any description. 
Decide upon your own dress level of comfort and go for it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

OP, despite what others will try to have you believe, there simply is no dress code. 

Dress CODE = Dress SUGGESTION

Yes, yes I know, the Princess website is peppered with suggestions that may sound like rules, but these suggestions are far from rules or codes of any description. 
Decide upon your own dress level of comfort and go for it. 

It sounds like I should be ok  - I never wear shorts anyway - the only issue might be my love of T shirts, but I can pick up a top or two if I need to I guess.  By T shirts I don't mean tanks, I mean normal T shirts with band names on them or movie posters, or the occasional affirmation.

• Like 1

Just as an FYI.  Mexico could be warm/hot.  The inside of the ship could be cool and your stateroom could be cold.   Pack accordingly.    One of our last cruises the air was broken in the stateroom and we got only cold air.  Came home with a cold.

Since there are no longer any dress standards on any of the Princess ships, it has now become "wear what you like" on any night. Tuxes, suits, gowns, jeans, shorts and even baseball caps. 

Your free to select whatever you like to please yourself without having to conform to any dress code. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/28/2023 at 5:38 AM, MissP22 said:

Since there are no longer any dress standards on any of the Princess ships, it has now become "wear what you like" on any night. Tuxes, suits, gowns, jeans, shorts and even baseball caps. 

You’re free to select whatever you like to please yourself without having to conform to any dress code. 

I watched people in shorts turned away at the MDR several times in the last year. If eating there is important to a passenger, they should be prepared and pack long pants.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

I watched people in shorts turned away at the MDR several times in the last year. If eating there is important to a passenger, they should be prepared and pack long pants.

We've seen shorts being worn many times in the past year or so BUT it could happen. You could always have your wife be seated while you go back & change into long pants. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/27/2023 at 8:14 PM, katmigordon said:

What do I need to pack to wear in the mdrs?  Is formal night a requirement or a suggestion?  Are there any other themes I should know about on a 7 day Mexican Rivera cruise? 

Nice Collared Shirt, nice slacks...that is Bottom Line

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 9/28/2023 at 11:38 PM, MissP22 said:

Your free to select whatever you like to please yourself without having to conform to any dress code. 

Exactly. After wearing my suit on Princess in June for the first 5 formal nights and observing others in shorts and T-shirts.. I too ditched the suit and turned up at the MDR in shorts on formal night #6 - and my food didn't taste any different!! 🤣 The days of dress rules went out the door with traditional dining. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Just putting the butter on my popcorn.. can hardly wait.

I’m with you. I’m sure some rules have changed since previous thread shut down a week ago🤣

Let the fun begin 🙃

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

Exactly. After wearing my suit on Princess in June for the first 5 formal nights and observing others in shorts and T-shirts.. I too ditched the suit and turned up at the MDR in shorts on formal night #6 - and my food didn't taste any different!! 🤣 The days of dress rules went out the door with traditional dining. 

I don't think people believe that when others post it. They'll just have to experience it for themselves & go from there. 

• Like 2

As mostly everyone has said, go with what you feel comfortable with in public.

Just be aware that there are people onboard that love to judge others. Just got back from a 23 day cruise and found it very interesting that one couple needed to comment to the maître d' about our standard of dress (we wear plain black baseball caps).  Very sad that their enjoyment of their meal was contingent on what we wore.  

Even a comment earlier in this thread 'I don't like to see jeans'.  

Some people are never going to be happy - maybe owning their own yacht is the best way of controlling every aspect of their experience 😉

Edited by Citizenxnz
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Citizenxnz said:

That's exactly what we've been doing for years now and never once have we been disappointed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had an interesting situation on a British Isles cruise over the summer. I changed out of my excursion clothes (capris and a t-shirt) before dinner. I put on dress pants, nice shirt, and a blazer. It was "formal" night and this was something I'd generally wear to work.

After an early dinner, I changed into a hoodie and long, casual pants because I wanted to go outside on the deck and it was starting to get chilly. I have mobility issues and don't like walking outside in my heeled dress shoes. I didn't go back to my stateroom and instead went direct to a bar to hear a pianist. An older lady walked by me and my husband and said I guess you don't have appropriate clothes for formal night! 

My point is that even if you do dress "appropriately" for dinner, you may still get a snide comment outside of the MDR if during the dinner period. Just live and let live! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Citizenxnz said:

Just be aware that there are people onboard that love to judge others. Just got back from a 23 day cruise and found it very interesting that one couple needed to comment to the maître d' about our standard of dress (we wear plain black baseball caps).  Very sad that their enjoyment of their meal was contingent on what we wore.  

Even a comment earlier in this thread 'I don't like to see jeans'.  

Some people are never going to be happy - maybe owning their own yacht is the best way of controlling every aspect of their experience 😉

Not judging, just curious as to why you wear a baseball cap indoors at a restaurant.  Can’t be the sun or the wind or the rain.   Is it a dress baseball cap saved for dining or the sweaty one you wore to the beach?  

It certainly does not affect my enjoyment of my meal.  On the contrary, it makes me giggle.  If you feel good, and think you look good, then more power to you.  I’m sure you know very well how others might react and if you don’t mind that reaction that’s just fine.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2023 at 5:30 PM, Mike45LC said:

I don't like seeing jeans, but some people will wear them.  

Oops. I only bring jeans (dark denim, light denim) & 1 pr green khakis. But I will be wearing a sequin top with my forest green khakis on formal night. (Color appropriate for holiday season) In fact I only own jeans & colored khakis so I second

On 9/27/2023 at 5:30 PM, Mike45LC said:

nice looking is sufficient, and DON'T STRESS OVER IT!

• Like 3