Pancake topping

lenquixote66

Sugar and lemon. That's for European style pancakes (the sort the French and North Americans call "crepes")

Although, on the occasions when I have the thick American style pancakes for breakfast (I buy them from the supermarket and microwave them), I usually have that with maple or golden syrup (depending on what's in the cupboard). 

Ketchup with pancakes sounds vile. I'd only consider that with, say, a bacon or sausage sandwich at breakfast.

My other particular like is a pancake cake. You make 10 or so pancakes and stack them up, layering apple puree (or very thin slices of apple) between each one. Of course, your pancakes will have gone cold by now, so the cake needs to be covered with foil and heated through in the oven for a few minutes. Cut into wedges, as you would for any cake, and serve with cream or ice cream. 

And a couple of other options that we do occasionally. Smear each pancake with Nutella, jam (raspberry is good) or a chocolate sauce and roll up. Dusting of icing sugar and a short blast under the grill to caramelise the sugar. 

11 hours ago, phillygirl2400 said:

Lots of ethnic foods, for example, Enchiladas,

Interesting.

Knowing that sour cream originated in Eastern Europe (although its close cousin "creme fraiche" is French), would you have any information about the history of how it found its way to Mexico (using your example of enchiladas)? 

42 minutes ago, Harters said:

Interesting.

Knowing that sour cream originated in Eastern Europe (although its close cousin "creme fraiche" is French), would you have any information about the history of how it found its way to Mexico (using your example of enchiladas)? 

Hi. No, no idea. My family history is Eastern Europe. I never saw anyone put syrup on french toast until I moved to Virginia. Also, i never saw anyone put ketchup on eggs until i moved to Virginia. 😃 

Thanks. I wonder if it made its way via Eastern European immigrants to America.  If so, then it might be more an American/Mexican thing than traditional Mexican.

I've had some great food in Virginia over the years. Perhaps my favourite of the several states I've visited and, certainly, the one I've visited most often. I don't think I've ever eaten French toast (or "eggy bread" as it's usually called here) and wouldnt really be sure whether to have it with syrup. It's quite sweet, isn't it? So probably would have it with syrup. Ketchup with eggs? Absolutely. With any breakfasty eggs. 

On 9/30/2023 at 9:44 AM, Harters said:

Interesting.

What is used in Mexico is "Crema," a variation on sour cream, and according to online sources, it made its way to that part of the world via colonization by Europeans. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2023 at 10:44 PM, Harters said:

Interesting.

Crème Fraiche made its way to Mexico - along with many other French ideas and foods - with Mexico’s first and only Emperor, Maximilian von Habsburg, who was Napoleon’s Cousin.

On pancakes, I like dark brown sugar if I'm not using maple syrup.

Re French toast, which I understand the French are not familiar with, I'm wondering if it was based on Croque Monsieur, which has thick bread soaked in eggs and milk before adding the fillings. Anyone know?

Re ketchup and eggs, we made breakfast here for some friends a number of years ago.  As I was setting the table, the wife said "I can't find the ketchup in your fridge". I didn't know why she would look for ketchup for a breakfast.  "For the scrambled eggs."  ???  I had never heard of that.  And I have no interest in trying it!  DH reminds me that we've never had ketchup in the house.

51 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

French toast, which I understand the French are not familiar with

Are they not?  I thought they knew it as pain perdu which, to my mind, is a much more poetic term than our British "eggy bread" (although it's not common here).

On 10/1/2023 at 4:11 PM, CntPAcruiser said:

What is used in Mexico is "Crema," a variation on sour cream, and according to online sources, it made its way to that part of the world via colonization by Europeans. 

Have lived in Puerto Vallarta for 18 winters, but it took me a few years to realize that "crema" was a good substitute for sour cream.  

On 9/28/2023 at 4:46 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I recently saw an interview with a person who said he puts ketchup on his pancakes.I never heard of that and would never do that.

The only topping I would have is Maple Syrup .

Any others ?

Absolutely maple syrup.  It goes so well with fried ham and sausages.  My all-time favorite is blueberry pancakes.  

• 3 weeks later...