Protein shakes

43 minutes ago, motheroftwocats814 said:

Hello fellow cruisers.

I drink protein shakes. The bottled ones.

Am I allowed to bring them onboard? If I can't it is not a huge deal.

Thank you for you input.

I asked this question on another forum and was told yes. So I'm planning on putting them in my carry on, just as I would do with soft drinks or water if I were bringing them.

Good thread!  

I'm one of the people who have to, medically, drink 3 protein shakes a day (well, yes, I understand that there are many ways to get the protein needed, but the little drink cartons (like muscle milk or premier) are just so convenient.  I'm wondering if they are available on the ship or if it is a "Special Needs" request.  12 cartons just ain't enough for a 7-day cruise.

Edited in:  I've cruised 2 cruises in the recent past without any and it wasn't pleasant, for me.  I ran out of gas early.

Edited by Ret MP

I take protein powder and a shaker cup.  Just pack individual servings of the powder, throw it all in a zip lock and put it in my checked luggage.  I cannot stand any protein drink, but because I eat little to no protein, my doctor told me I had to start drinking the protein stuff.  So I buy the highest protein powder I can so I get 30 grams of protein per serving.  I mix it up, chug it down, and then I am done.  

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Good thread!  

I'm one of the people who have to, medically, drink 3 protein shakes a day (well, yes, I understand that there are many ways to get the protein needed, but the little drink cartons (like muscle milk or premier) are just so convenient.  I'm wondering if they are available on the ship or if it is a "Special Needs" request.  12 cartons just ain't enough for a 7-day cruise.

Edited in:  I've cruised 2 cruises in the recent past without any and it wasn't pleasant, for me.  I ran out of gas early.

In your case, contact special needs and they will (hopefully) give you permission to bring on what you need.

• Thanks 1

I used to do the protein powders (Dymatize), but the little cartons are just too convenient.  Refrigerate, twist the cap, chug the drink, and throw it away.  No mixing or measuring, no cup/glass washing, nothing.  Just a little extra expense.  Easy peasy.  

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes, send a request through to special needs.

Please don't abuse Special Needs.

If protein shakes are the only way you can eat, that is one thing and would be a reason to contact Special Needs. "I like drinking them and 12 isn't enough" is NOT a reason to contact Special Needs about it.

24 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

If protein shakes are the only way you can eat, that is one thing and would be a reason to contact Special Needs. "I like drinking them and 12 isn't enough" is NOT a reason to contact Special Needs about it.

Not for me to judge whether it is a valid request or not.  If it's not they will tell him.

19 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Unless it is you with the medical issue.  I can live more without my CPAP but Special Needs will supply distilled water and extension cord(s), technically, I could use bottled drinking water for the short duration of a cruise instead of distilled water.  Am I abusing "Special Needs" when I ask for Distilled Water and an extension cord?  It must be nice to be so judgemental when you have no idea what someone is going through.  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Here's an idea! How about letting the people at the call center decide?
is it possible that taking a phone call for clarification from a future cruise passenger is part of what they do?  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TJA27 said:

That vitality menu looks amazing!  How about the ships that don't have a vitality cafe?  We are on Serenade soon and I can't find any info/menus if we can't get protein shakes/smoothies/milkshakes. 

It looks amazing on paper but in reality it’s mostly just cartons of liquid they use for the base like they use for pina coladas and the like. They’re not blending up fruit and vegetables. And at least on Oasis they’re almost always out of protein powder.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, motheroftwocats814 said:

Hello fellow cruisers.

I drink protein shakes. The bottled ones.

Am I allowed to bring them onboard? If I can't it is not a huge deal.

Thank you for you input.

I brought a 4-pack of Muscle Milk in my carry on.  Not an issue.

Teddie

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BallFour4 said:

Here's an idea! How about letting the people at the call center decide?
is it possible that taking a phone call for clarification from a future cruise passenger is part of what they do?  

100% right on!

Also, isn't it their job to provide "special needs" to folks with "Special Needs"?  I mean, no matter what type of protein I prefer, I'm going to call "Special Needs" and see if they will provide it so I don't have to carry 21 cartons of Muscle Milk in my carryon right next to my laptop and tablet or carryon that messy mixing powdered concoction and I'll still need Almond Milk to go with it, or whatever.  IT'S THEIR JOB, and we all pay handsomely for it.  No, I don't feel sorry for them and I don't think I'm abusing them.  In fact, if they deliver the stuff while I'm in the cabin, I'll tip them generously and if they deliver it while I'm in the cabin or not, I'll give great praise on the survey, if I get one.  

UNBELIEVABLE! 

3 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

It looks amazing on paper but in reality it’s mostly just cartons of liquid they use for the base like they use for pina coladas and the like. They’re not blending up fruit and vegetables. And at least on Oasis they’re almost always out of protein powder.

Thanks for the heads-up, but still curious being that Serenade doesn't have a Vitality Cafe, do you know if a different place on Serenade has a similar menu?  I have been searching the boards, and also googling, and can't seem to find a straight/current answer.  Thanks!

Edited by TJA27

3 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I've visited the "spa" venue sparingly, I have never visited the snack shack there, after my first visit many many years ago.  I guess some of the sandwiches looked Okay but I was not impressed with any of the so-called healthy drinks.  So, getting a protein drink of any kind is out of the question for me and to be honest, I don't trust their description of what it is supposed to be.  But, that's just me.  

38 minutes ago, TJA27 said:

Thanks for the heads-up, but still curious being that Serenade doesn't have a Vitality Cafe, do you know if a different place on Serenade has a similar menu?  I have been searching the boards, and also googling, and can't seem to find a straight/current answer.  Thanks!

I’ve never been on Serenade but was just on Liberty and there was nowhere that had that menu and I actually went to every venue and bar to try to find at least a premade protein drink and couldn’t find one. 

46 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I’ve never been on Serenade but was just on Liberty and there was nowhere that had that menu and I actually went to every venue and bar to try to find at least a premade protein drink and couldn’t find one. 

Very helpful, thank you. 

On 9/29/2023 at 12:51 PM, babyblue78 said:

If you have the Deluxe or Refreshment packages, you can get smoothies and protein shakes in the Vitality Cafe also, if you can use those instead of hauling your own on.  Here is the link to the menu:  vitality-cafe-menu-sample.pdf (royalcaribbean.com)

Thank you!