Coral Princess Dry Dock

Whimsy

There were some comments posted here a little while ago regarding the dry dock.  It sounded like a generic dry dock; new carpets, paint and general maintenance.

We board the Coral on the ship's first cruise after the dry dock on 10/17/24, Singapore to LA with stops in Thailand, Vietnam, Taipei, Hong Kong, Japan, and Hawaii.

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, LACruiser88 said:

There were some comments posted here a little while ago regarding the dry dock.  It sounded like a generic dry dock; new carpets, paint and general maintenance.

We board the Coral on the ship's first cruise after the dry dock on 10/17/24, Singapore to LA with stops in Thailand, Vietnam, Taipei, Hong Kong, Japan, and Hawaii.

She is definitely overdue for all of that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 10:12 AM, stevenr597 said:

One of my most favorite ships from Princess. 

I’d love to know why it’s your favourite. We’ve sailed on Sapphire and Grand, and love them both. But an itinerary we like is coming up on Coral. We like to get where we want without crowding or lineups, and the wide open feel of the two ships we’ve sailed. What do you like about the Coral?

1 hour ago, Sandyren said:

I’d love to know why it’s your favourite. We’ve sailed on Sapphire and Grand, and love them both. But an itinerary we like is coming up on Coral. We like to get where we want without crowding or lineups, and the wide open feel of the two ships we’ve sailed. What do you like about the Coral?

Crown is one of two ships that is powered by a jet turbine, not by diesel into electric.  Because of this the engine room is smaller and it is in the top five if not the top in respect to Space per passenger.  

We sailed through the Panama Canal twice on this ship, separated by over 15 years.

It is smaller than most of the other Princess ships, and we did feel it was more “intimate”

Unlike its sister ship, Island Princess, Princess did not add more cabins to the ship.  

On 10/14/2023 at 11:41 AM, stevenr597 said:

Crown is one of two ships that is powered by a jet turbine, not by diesel into electric.  Because of this the engine room is smaller and it is in the top five if not the top in respect to Space per passenger.  

Lets pick this apart.  First off, "Crown Princess" does not have gas turbine engines, Coral Princess does.  Next, the ship is powered by both gas turbines and diesel electric generators.  Then, since the engine rooms of all cruise ships are below the passenger decks, how does making the engine room smaller (and I doubt that), give any more space to the passenger areas? 

Now, whether or not the additional cabins makes the Island "less space per passenger" is another topic, but these cabins are on deck 10 and higher, and the spaces on the Coral have absolutely nothing to do with the engine rooms.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

I see on the Coral Princess deck plan there is International Cafe on the Fiesta deck (deck 6).  Is this IC similar to the IC on the Royal class ship where food available 24 hours or no food and just selling coffee?  

Food, coffee and a small bar.

For all the reasons that others have already posted Coral is our favorite Princess ship.  We love the full promenade deck and forward and aft viewing areas.  We felt very fortunate to have sailed on the Coral in Alaska and through the Panama Canal.  We were booked on a South America/Antarctica cruise on the Coral but it was cancelled due to Covid.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Food section offers a lot of choices just like the Royal class ship’s IC?  Coral IC also opens 24 hours?

Here is a picture of IC food currently taken on the Majestic Princess. 

IMG_1126.jpeg

Not as big as on the Royal class since the ship and the number of passengers are much smaller, but we found it more than adequate in selections.  It can get crowded in around breakfast time. 

8 hours ago, capriccio said:

Not as big as on the Royal class since the ship and the number of passengers are much smaller, but we found it more than adequate in selections.  It can get crowded in around breakfast time. 

Thanks.  This morning, we just booked their 32 days from Singapore to Los Angeles (10/17/24-11/17/24).

• Like 1

Just now, chubbypiggy said:

Thanks.  This morning, we just booked their 32 days from Singapore to Los Angeles (10/17/24-11/17/24).

Enjoy!  We were on the Coral Princess around Australia a for 28 days in April.  It was a great cruise on a thoroughly enjoyable ship.

8 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Enjoy!  We were on the Coral Princess around Australia a for 28 days in April.  It was a great cruise on a thoroughly enjoyable ship.

We are on the same cruise around Australia but in March next year.

Just now, Kamfish642 said:

We are on the same cruise around Australia but in March next year.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we (me, DH, my sister and husband, and a brother and wife) did.  We all talk about it frequently.  We also spent a week in Sydney and a week on a private tour of New Zealand’s South Island joined by our other brother and wife who couldn’t take time off for the cruise. It really was the trip of a lifetime.

1 minute ago, capriccio said:

In April, we did 27 days from Sydney to L.A. on Majestic Princess; really enjoyed the ship.

Before our last 2 cruises (last month on the Diamond Princess in Japan), for 10+ years, we only cruised on Princess' Royal class ships and enjoyed it all.  Then we did the Diamond Princess last month, a 7-day and a 9-day, and didn't enjoy it too much.  Although the Diamond's mini suite total cabin size is similar to Royal class ships, but due to a bigger size of the uncovered balcony, the inside size is smaller.  The bathtub is much narrower, so when taking shower, the shower curtain still touches the body.  There is no IC.  Can never find a table in the morning at the buffet.  We like IC because if the buffet is crowded, then we can just grab an egg muffin and almond croissants to eat in the cabin.  I can't believe for the entire 2 cruises, not once there were egg muffins served in the buffet.  😊  Overall, the food and service were not good compared to all my previous Princess cruises.

Because of the experience of the Diamond Princess, we did hesitate to book the Coral cruise.  But we really like the itinerary, and the decision breaking point is Coral having the IC, so we decided to give the non-Royal class ships another chance and booked the 32 days cruise.😄

15 hours ago, hallijan said:

It looks like Coral is repositioning back to the USA at the end of 2024 being replaced by Crown & Diamond in Australia

I see that the Diamond Princess will be home porting in Brisbane.
I wonder how she compares to the Crown Princess. 

On 10/15/2023 at 3:29 PM, chengkp75 said:

Lets pick this apart.  First off, "Crown Princess" does not have gas turbine engines, Coral Princess does.  Next, the ship is powered by both gas turbines and diesel electric generators.  Then, since the engine rooms of all cruise ships are below the passenger decks, how does making the engine room smaller (and I doubt that), give any more space to the passenger areas? 

I forget which princess ship it was ... but the gas turbine was so inefficient when they were forced to use it, that they eventually added an additional diesel gen-set, to avoid having to spool up the dollar furnace.

Before they did that, they had to light off the turbine whenever one of the diesels was down for maintenance.

Only the Navy can afford to use gas turbines to power ships.

It turned out to not be as great as ge predicted.

https://www.geaerospace.com/press-release/marine-industrial-engines/five-new-cruise-ships-begin-service-powered-ge-gas-turbines