Casual Drinker with Premium Package first time

Woody14

Looking for drinks to take advantage of getting premium for the first time.    I don't drink a lot, do like a good glass of wine, craft beers and frozen cocktails.    My go to on a cruise is usually a frozen margarita/daiquiri mostly cause I don't know what to order unless it is on the menu.    so I am looking for some suggestions to give a try in order to get some value from Premium. 

Ask for better quality tequila with your margaritas or bourbon with your old fashioneds,  enjoy a nice liqueur after dinner, and drink nicer wines. You can also get the full sized martinis in the Martini Bar. 

We also drink Pellegrino instead of tap water with all our meals. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jimzgoldfinch said:

If you are only a casual drinker, you will not get value for your money. The cost of the premium package is $109 + 20% per person per day. Drinks up to $17 + 20% are included. 

I caught one of the sales where is was cheaper to get the premium than it was the classic, so I have it and it is all paid for.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, markeb said:

Which ship? Is there a World Class Bar?

On the Eclipse, there is a world class bar - YES,  looks like I might need to try somethings from there 

Edited by Woody14
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

Looking for drinks to take advantage of getting premium for the first time.    I don't drink a lot, do like a good glass of wine, craft beers and frozen cocktails.    My go to on a cruise is usually a frozen margarita/daiquiri mostly cause I don't know what to order unless it is on the menu.    so I am looking for some suggestions to give a try in order to get some value from Premium. 

Really can't suggest what you might like, @Woody14, since we don't know each other 😃 but I would take advantage of your Premium package on this cruise to discover what you DO like.

Per your post, you appear open to wine, beer and cocktails. Therefore, find a bar or two that you like once aboard, and a bartender that you "connect with," and he or she can probably help guide you to at least a few beverages that you'll later ask for by name. You have an opportunity ahead of you!

Hope this helps,

cjr

25 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

On the Eclipse, there is a world class bar - YES,  looks like I might need to try somethings from there 

Rum old fashioned…

Was Zacapa Old Fashioned. Rumor is that Zacapa is no longer the rum, but it’s always been a great drink. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CNSfromHI said:

Really can't suggest what you might like, @Woody14, since we don't know each other 😃 but I would take advantage of your Premium package on this cruise to discover what you DO like.

I agree with.  Try lots of beers, and other drinks.  If you don't like one, put it down and get another.

• Like 1

I go to the different bars and speciality restaurants and order things I would not drink at home.  Some are hits, some are misses (Earth at Eden bar, tasted like well... earth).

I also ask for my margarettas and other drinks to be made using top shelf.  

It is also a great opportunity to try different brands. I have them use different gins when I order a gin and tonic.

Enjoy the freedom to explore.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, markeb said:

Rum old fashioned…

Was Zacapa Old Fashioned. Rumor is that Zacapa is no longer the rum, but it’s always been a great drink. 

If they are still out of Zacap, ask for Bumbu or Brugal not quite as good but decent enough for a rum old fashioned. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

If they are still out of Zacap, ask for Bumbu or Brugal not quite as good but decent enough for a rum old fashioned. 

Order a Dessert Wine to have with your dessert 😉

Cause you can!

Nice to try.

Also, not sure if they still do "freshly squeezed orange juice" at breakfast, it's miles better than the standard.

Enjoy trying the different Martini's at the Martini Bar.

Having the premium drink package allowed us the opportunity try a variety of liquors and alcohols without buying the bottle at home.   A few years back, we were sitting a bar one late afternoon that was empty and we had a private tasting of all different products that were included in package.  

1 hour ago, gfkcruiser said:

Having the premium drink package allowed us the opportunity try a variety of liquors and alcohols without buying the bottle at home.   A few years back, we were sitting a bar one late afternoon that was empty and we had a private tasting of all different products that were included in package.  

And you can remember that. 😁

• Haha 2

Ask for the water that is included with the premium package.  The water with the classic is in an aluminum can.  It's hard to open and I cut my finger on it.  😞  Also order some of the craft cocktails at World Class Bar and the yummy martinis at the Martini Bar.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jimzgoldfinch said:

If you are only a casual drinker, you will not get value for your money. The cost of the premium package is $109 + 20% per person per day. Drinks up to $17 + 20% are included. 

I agree. Would have been better to keep the basic package and pay the upcharges for premium brands

2 hours ago, spammie said:

Ask for the water that is included with the premium package.  The water with the classic is in an aluminum can.  It's hard to open and I cut my finger on it.  😞  Also order some of the craft cocktails at World Class Bar and the yummy martinis at the Martini Bar.  Enjoy!

We’ve always had water and soft drinks with the basic package so don’t think you need premium for that perk

1 hour ago, Cruise till you drop said:

We’ve always had water and soft drinks with the basic package so don’t think you need premium for that perk

Of course but if you read my reply again - the premium water DOES NOT come in an aluminum can.  🙂 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Just be advised that even though you have the Premium Package, often bartenders default to the well brands.  So make certain you request the call brand you want.

Agree..  I just order by brand name -- e.g. a bottle of Pellegrino please.