avoid Regal Princess - internet speed is slow - 3 mps

jrblach

I’m currently seeing 3mb on Enchanted.   Works great for what I need it for

cant imagine working for a company that wants me to work on a short 3 week vacation though.  My company wants us to disconnect from business even if I take 5 weeks off. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BamaVol said:

Every time someone mentions needing the internet while cruising, they are attacked.  I assume a day working online from a cruise ship beats a day working in your office.  Of course there are other reasons.  Why judge? When I retired 4 years ago, there were few digital nomads.  Now I know dozens who have no permanent address and work from wherever they are - which is usually much nicer (and often less expensive) than where they used to live.

I’m not sure what the OP’s problem is if someone on the same cruise is able to stream Netflix and FaceTime with grandkids.  Could it be an issue with wifi specific to their cabin as opposed to internet from the ship?  I’m no techie. But maybe some of the IT folks here have a theory.

The OP wants the internet to be faster.  Really simple.  Problem is satellite coverage is pretty thin once a couple hundred miles at sea.  The reason is little demand except from a few thousand people on a cruise ship or two.  Speeds will vary.

We got anywhere from 3-20mps when between Iceland and Greenland.  Varied literally by the minute.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 3:52 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

Did it bind up to a terminal access controller (TAC), which in my case was connected to the MILNET, or was it the ARPANET, back in 1983? 🤔

Dial up to Honeywell Multics, but probably around 1983.

• Like 1

I was on the Crown Princess in Alaska where they say the signal is poor.  It was 3 Mbps all the time.  I was able to download, upload and watch You Tube.  Someone I know saw a movie on Netflix.  Works for me and I'm happy it's improved!

• Like 2

Currently on the same cruise, abit slower than at home but not slow enough to bother complaining about. In a perfect world there are no speed bumps, although I don't think there is such a place as perfect. Perhaps for a brief period we all need to go back to the past before WiFi, cell phones and so on. Last night before the show started in the theater as I sat in the back as I looked out over the crowd it was like a sea of firefly"s glowing from the phones. No wonder some people can not converse anymore it is becoming a lost art..

• Thanks 2

I realize that some people need to be in contact with back home for business reasons.  However ignoring that group internet speed would be close to the last criteria that I would consider in my selection of a cruise or a ship.  There is a difference between "need" and "want".  For most of us on ship internet is a "want".

DON

• Like 2

On 10/5/2023 at 12:27 PM, jrblach said:

we are on Regal for 25 days Southampton to Fort Lauderdale. sailed Sept 29. internet speed is like dial up - only 3 mbs.  ship will not fix it even though we bought all these plus packages.  we we were on sky in August and internet was fast = like at home. 

3mbs is enough to stream.  Was on the Regal twice this year in the Caribbean and internet was fine.  Your issue is location.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 11:28 AM, Yehootu said:

We are on the same cruise. Can't comment on your experience, BUT

Been able to facetime with our Grandkids,

Watch Netflix every night,

Able to cable my phone to my TV and watched NCAA Football and NFL via YouTubeTV.

VPN working perfectly.

Guess everyone has a different experience and expectations.

So, it’s your fault 🤣

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Bob20019 said:

So, it’s your fault 🤣

Guess so! Was able to get scores on NCCAF today at sports bar( forget what its called 6 something), while they were showing FOX. Better networks on, just wish other games could be shown.

On 10/5/2023 at 3:05 PM, JimmyVWine said:

Reasons for choosing a cruise:

1. Itinerary

2.. Compatibility of the cruise line's lifestyle to my lifestyle. 

1,003-Color of socks worn by the waitstaff

1,004-Brand of sheets on the bed

1,005-Number of links on the chain connecting the main anchor

1,006-WiFi speed

1,007-Quality of viewing of the Perseid meteor shower

Meteor shower is higher than that ! 😂

• Haha 2

For those that are on, or were on the Regal this year, I'm glad to read your good responses. We are to be on the Regal this coming February, and I'm looking forward to the trip, and I/we will DEAL with the internet situation.

• Like 1

Bob20019, I agree. Anyone can "complain," but TRY to find the positives in life. That is why when I get ready to cruise, I try to think on the "positive" side, and if something goes wrong, I just "deal" with it. 🙂

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, beshears said:

if something goes wrong, I just "deal" with it. 🙂

We’re on Princess in November and scheduled to visit 2 ports in Israel. We’ll go wherever the ship goes, and be thankful that we’re not in the situation that Israel is in. 

• Like 3

Funny to hear folks yip about someone who just has the audacity to desire a faster internet connection.  Although the majority of posters on this thread ridicule the OP, suggesting it is silly to think internet speed is important, the cruise lines have clearly been recognizing quality internet is actually a big deal to a very relevant portion of the cruising public, as every line is working to beef up its internet capacity and speed. 

I think its a bit funny that many of those who are critical of the OP are folks who clearly spend a lot of time online, posting on message boards, and I'm guessing they surf and post when at sea cruising too.

Internet speed and capacity IS a big deal to MANY cruisers, and for a lot of people who dont cruise BECAUSE they don't want to be out of touch with the mainland, work, friends, family, sports games, or whatever, and poor internet on cruises eliminates cruising as an option for them.

people under 40 use their phones or devises as a lifeline.  Many over 50 do too.  I'm 59, and my phone isnt a lifeline, but I certainly have gotten accustomed to having and using it in so many ways.  I also do continue to manage work issues, and maintain work "peace of mind", if not troubleshoot issues, while on vacation, and good internet is critical for that. 

For retirees, or folks who have jobs which permit them from escaping without responsibility, God bless you.  But for those who do have responsibilities which require maintaining a higher level of touch with the homeland, or who just want good internet for their entertainment needs, isnt it ok to seek and desire a strong online connection?

To each his/her own, I say.  this issue reminds me of folks who are critical of others for booking suites or even balcony cabins, because "you shouldn't be spending time in your cabin on a cruise except to sleep".  Really?  I spend time in my cabin sleeping and other things, including hanging on my balcony.  Disparage me if you wish.  but in the end we are different, and all have different priorities or pleasures.  To each his/her own.....

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, brovol said:

Funny to hear folks yip about someone who just has the audacity to desire a faster internet connection.  Although the majority of posters on this thread ridicule the OP, suggesting it is silly to think internet speed is important, the cruise lines have clearly been recognizing quality internet is actually a big deal to a very relevant portion of the cruising public, as every line is working to beef up its internet capacity and speed. 

I think its a bit funny that many of those who are critical of the OP are folks who clearly spend a lot of time online, posting on message boards, and I'm guessing they surf and post when at sea cruising too.

Internet speed and capacity IS a big deal to MANY cruisers, and for a lot of people who dont cruise BECAUSE they don't want to be out of touch with the mainland, work, friends, family, sports games, or whatever, and poor internet on cruises eliminates cruising as an option for them.

people under 40 use their phones or devises as a lifeline.  Many over 50 do too.  I'm 59, and my phone isnt a lifeline, but I certainly have gotten accustomed to having and using it in so many ways.  I also do continue to manage work issues, and maintain work "peace of mind", if not troubleshoot issues, while on vacation, and good internet is critical for that. 

For retirees, or folks who have jobs which permit them from escaping without responsibility, God bless you.  But for those who do have responsibilities which require maintaining a higher level of touch with the homeland, or who just want good internet for their entertainment needs, isnt it ok to seek and desire a strong online connection?

To each his/her own, I say.  this issue reminds me of folks who are critical of others for booking suites or even balcony cabins, because "you shouldn't be spending time in your cabin on a cruise except to sleep".  Really?  I spend time in my cabin sleeping and other things, including hanging on my balcony.  Disparage me if you wish.  but in the end we are different, and all have different priorities or pleasures.  To each his/her own.....

The only gripe I have about this post is the title stating to avoid the Regal.  So the OP is telling us what to do based on his/her/their wants/needs.  It would have been better received if it was just a FYI post. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1