Question for recent Panama Canal cruisers

kcl491

My friend and I will be on the Emerald Princess in March 2024 for a thru-transit PC cruise.  Another couple she knows that will be on the same cruise was told by their doctor that they will need the following documentation for the cruise:  Shingles documentation, plus proof of receiving the following shots -  flu, pneumonia and Covid (plus boosters).  I have recently cruised and none of those things were required.  Understand that things could always change in 2024, but I thought that their doctor was certainly misinformed.  Any insights?  Thanks!

We did a PC cruise on The Emerald Princess, spring 2022 and a few weeks before the cruise we got a e-mail from Princess concerning C-19 booster shots and who needed one. When we got on the ship we didn't have to show the vax card. However when we got to Panama, Panama wanted everyone to be tested......Princess negotiated that to a much lower number (however those people didn't know that till they tried to get off the ship.....kind of like a lottery).

As for all of those other vax, never have needed to show proof. 

37 minutes ago, kcl491 said:

My friend and I will be on the Emerald Princess in March 2024 for a thru-transit PC cruise.  Another couple she knows that will be on the same cruise was told by their doctor that they will need the following documentation for the cruise:  Shingles documentation, plus proof of receiving the following shots -  flu, pneumonia and Covid (plus boosters).  I have recently cruised and none of those things were required.  Understand that things could always change in 2024, but I thought that their doctor was certainly misinformed.  Any insights?  Thanks!

I think this is a recommendation from the Dr.  Health quality may be lacking in Panama if they became ill.

Covid vax, you just need to look at government requirements, where ever you travel. It was required earlier this year for Panama.  

Check it now and recheck before your travel date again.

48 minutes ago, kcl491 said:

No, none needed.  They need a new doctor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kcl491 said:

As others have said...NOPE!  Now I'm not saying that you *shouldn't* get these things...but not "required" to cruise.  We just did the PC in Feb.

I sailed 19 days on Emerald, LA to NYC Aug 21 to sept 9, 2023. None of those are required for this sailing by the ship nor the counties we visited.

However, there are a lot of communicable diseases on cruise ships.

The longer the sailings the more likely it becomes to catch one of them. I’ve done quite a bit of sailing since the restart and can only speak to what I’ve experienced.

On our sailing we had 8 (that I knew of) that caught CoVid. One had pink eye. There were a lot more that we’re sick but just walked around unmasked anyway. 

The Dr may know a thing or two about the couple’s health risks so is saying in their professional opinion the couple should protect themselves as suggested. We are getting the conversation between the dr and patient third hand so we really don’t know exactly how this was phrased. 

• Like 3

In March we sailed and for the stop in Columbia Covid vaccination proof was required nothing else. Yellow fever usually is needed for Devils Island and Brazil but they are not on most Panama itineraries 

41 minutes ago, memoak said:

In March we sailed and for the stop in Columbia Covid vaccination proof was required nothing else. Yellow fever usually is needed for Devils Island and Brazil but they are not on most Panama itineraries 

Only if you are travelling to certain areas of Brazil. Not the costal towns where ships visit.

37 minutes ago, skynight said:

Only if you are travelling to certain areas of Brazil. Not the costal towns where ships visit.

Years ago when we did a cruise up the Amazon river we needed all kinds of shots since it left from Manaus in the middle of Amazonia.  Unfortunately this trip no longer exists due to pollution and the fact that Princess no longer has ships small enough

Thank you all so much for the feedback!  I have advised my travel friend that she needn't panic (she hates needles and shots).  However, I said that things could always change and that's beyond our control. 

I have cruised Panama Canal since 12/8/22 but I also didn't need anything. The MD may have what he personally recommends for her based on her medical condition but Princess is the best resource for what is needed to cruise.

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

I would begin a search for requirements here. https://www.princess.com/protocol/?fbclid=IwAR15FapmH1Hl74xuV39doqpqNUqsloaI7MtgyycJLQ2HddCercgIV2cuT_M

Input your booking number and name for your cruise.

You give two tips for the answer. "Through transit," and...Shingles?

First, you're not going ashore anyway. Limited travel. 

The CDC page makes recommendations for every trip. Including Varicella. But you will stay on the ship. https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/panama

On 10/6/2023 at 6:32 PM, partybarbie said:

I’m leaving for a Panama Canal cruise in two weeks. Shots aren’t required for Cartegena, Columbia or Panama City, Panama. I will probably bring my Covid vaccine record with me, just in case. It’s not currently required though.

Thanks for posting that.  The covid record, is that just a printout from the doc?  Do you have to get all the boosters for covid?  Thanks

2 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

Thanks for posting that.  The covid record, is that just a printout from the doc?  Do you have to get all the boosters for covid?  Thanks

My Covid vaccine record is a little piece of paper that Oregon Health Authority gave us with our first vaccine. Every time we got a booster, the nurse just signed off on it. Mine isn’t current, as it’s been over a year since my last shot. It’s not required though. The website I checked said the Covid vaccine requirement was waived back in May of this year. It is always good to check though because things can change.