Gimme your CCL pet peeves

One of my pet peeves is when parents just sit there while their children destroy property.   At the Diamond lunch earlier on this cruise,  parents let two small children (I'm guessing 2 & 3 years old) climb on the window ledge,  behind the window covering, pulling and climbing on them.  They ended up bending the bar that supported the fabric.   The parents just left it as if nothing was wrong. 

20230930_140548.thumb.jpg.c432de7e7318275c9070c7104916c847.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

We always book a balcony as high and forward as we can get.  There is very little foot traffic.  We have only had one occasion with noisy kids in the next cabin.  It only lasted a few minutes. 

Kids are generally up early, drinks are drinks all day long

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Am I understanding correctly that Carnival no longer has printed menus in the MDR?  I think that qualifies as a peeve.  

They have them, but sometimes in limited quantities. At times they make you feel like you are disrupting things by asking. My old eyes don't like trying to read a tiny screen or fumbling around to have the screen on when they come to take the order so I can remember what made-up name they gave something.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, icft said:

They have them, but sometimes in limited quantities. At times they make you feel like you are disrupting things by asking. 

That hasn't been my experience.  The last cruise I we went on, my waiter saw me fumbling a little with my phone, and whipped out a menu for me right away.  Other times one of the wait staff asked if we wanted a menu as we were sitting down.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, icft said:

They have them, but sometimes in limited quantities. At times they make you feel like you are disrupting things by asking. My old eyes don't like trying to read a tiny screen or fumbling around to have the screen on when they come to take the order so I can remember what made-up name they gave something.

Our last time on Carnival was in 2022.  At that time they just passed out printed menus. If there was an option to the printed menus I wasn't aware of it.  Must be something relatively new.   

1 hour ago, highSeas22 said:

All you have to do is ask

Otherwise do they have a QR code for the menu on the table or something?   I think I would still prefer the printed version.  Your previous suggestion to read the one posted at the entry isn't really a good option in my opinion.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Otherwise do they have a QR code for the menu on the table or something?   I think I would still prefer the printed version.  Your previous suggestion to read the one posted at the entry isn't really a good option in my opinion.  

Right after covid they had QR codes on the tables. I don't recall if they still do. The QR code would take you to a web page with the menu. But if you have good security on your phone it won't let you open a web browser over an unsecured wi-fi connection. We had that problem on our first cruises after covid before they came out with the Hub app. The Hub app can be used over an unsecured connection (it doesn't have a web browser's potential to hack your phone so security doesn't stop it) and the menu that shows up from there is just as readable and expandable as a web page.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ldubs said:

They have a QR code...

Not everyone likes using a phone...  some like the old fashion method of doing things.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

They have a QR code...

Not everyone likes using a phone...  some like the old fashion method of doing things.  

Yes, I understand and would prefer the printed version too.  If I were using the iPhone, I can see it would prolong the process with all the scrolling back and forth I would be doing.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, highSeas22 said:

Then why do they post them

Many land restaurants do the same thing.  I have used the ones posted by the door many times to determine if I wanted to eat in the MDR or somewhere else.  If I decided to eat in the MDR, I wouldn't take notes before entering and it is very likely my memory is not as good as yours.   

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Signing out for pool towels. Does Carnival truly have that many potential petty thieves onboard that they have to police the pool towels?

In fairness, other cruise lines also make you sign out towels...and do not provide pool towels in your stateroom.  

On 10/8/2023 at 3:04 PM, RoperDK said:

I wish they would stop blocking wifi calling/texting. I am paying for the wifi after all and I can stream Netflix, use WhatsApp and Facebook messenger, but I can't get a phone call or text over wifi. I've really enjoyed being able to do that on other cruise lines.

Hear, hear!  

When I got a call from home while walking through the Windjammer buffet on a recent Royal cruise at around midnight (music charter; crazy dining hours), I felt like absolute royalty.  Carnival seems to port-block wi-fi calling.  I've initiated a call home and it connected for a second, then got cut off. 

On 10/8/2023 at 5:26 PM, VentureMan_2000 said:

All baked goods are made from scratch... bread, cakes, etc.  

As the chef de cuisine on the Imagination (r.i.p.) told us, "All of our desserts are made from scratch; we do not buy them from Costco or Sam's.  Now, we might buy the CAKE MIX at Costco or Sam's..."  🙂  

Pet peeves: 

• Lack of dining options late-night, particularly on the Mardi Gras.  It's always puzzled me as to why Carnival, which has by FAR the best lineup of complimentary dining offerings for lunch, couldn't  arrange something besides pizza after 11 pm (10 pm on Mardi Gras).   I'm hoping the reintroduction of "late night snacks" will change my mind on this one. 
  • Lack of a soda program as good as Royal's.  And don't get me started on Freestyle Coke Machines; I really wish Carnival had them, too.   Also, I really wish Carnival had Coke products back. 
  • Lack of an in-between tier on Cheers!  
  • Guest discourtesy, loud kids and adults in the hallways, lack of elevator etiquette...not exclusively a Carnival problem, of course.  
Edited by Pellaz
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, icft said:

Right after covid they had QR codes on the tables. I don't recall if they still do.

We had that problem on our first cruises after covid before they came out with the Hub app. 

Most land based restaurants did that during Covid as well, and many still do. The QR codes are much cheaper for restaurants and are also more real-time. It's great for them because they can change daily specials or whatever else on the fly without having to reprint physical menus. I know people dislike the QR code menus but personally I'll scan a QR code every time before using a paper menu.

As far as The Hub app, the Hub app has been around since 2018 (or 2017?), well before Covid. 

• Like 1

I want them to do priority boarding and debark on journey cruises. Not all have too many high level cruisers to do this. Finally make it to diamond and feel like the rug whisked out from under me.

Only perk I care about. Dont do laundry on my cruise. A one time upgrade and one time steak dinner, oh boy. Once and done. 

It sure came in handy on the breeze where we docked late and did that saving the 2 fisherman and their dog at 3 am thing. I was glad I wasnt at the back of the line. 

• Like 1

This has been a fun read during my quick afternoon break at work.

I'm definitely not losing any sleep over it, but if I had to give you a "pet peeve," it's that the places I prefer during the daytime or late night - Blue Iguana, Guy's Burgers, the Pizza Place, the Deli - are all too small and understaffed, which means the lines move a bit slower than I would prefer.   But, I will happily stand and wait before stepping foot in the lido buffet.  (Not at all my thing.) 

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Pet peeves: 

• Lack of dining options late-night, particularly on the Mardi Gras.  It's always puzzled me as to why Carnival, which has by FAR the best lineup of complimentary dining offerings for lunch, couldn't  arrange something besides pizza after 11 pm (10 pm on Mardi Gras).   I'm hoping the reintroduction of "late night snacks" will change my mind on this one. 

I was on the Panorama in August and it had a midnight buffet. Hotdogs, chicken tenders and 2 kinds of pizza. Amazing food when you're drunk. 😅

Is the midnight buffet not fleetwide? 

16 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Pet peeves: 

•  
  • Lack of a soda program as good as Royal's.  And don't get me started on Freestyle Coke Machines; I really wish Carnival had them, too.   Also, I really wish Carnival had Coke products back. 
  •  

100% agree about the Coke products.

• Like 3