The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday October 11th, 2023

richwmn

3 hours ago, marshhawk said:

I have a question about tipping the cab drivers in Italy-was is customary?  I have read that a cab from the airport to the hotel will run between 70-80 Euros.  What do we tip?  Any answers would be helpful.

In most European countries just round up to nearest Euro or £pounds in UK in taxis.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

32 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good evening.

Just thought I would share with my Dailyite friends my 22oz Porterhouse steak tonight.

IMG_20231011_171316.jpg

Looks great but your heart doctor must be throwing a penalty flag.😁

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

We have spent this week dealing with dentists and dental insurance.  For years we have used Delta Dental which is associated with our military retired health plan.  Sara needs to have two teeth removed and implants placed there.  We found a local dental office that can do it and asked them to prepare us a plan showing us the costs for each procedure, what they wanted to charge and what the insurance would pay.  When through about four iterations of that, and finally came up with it would cost us about $5K.  So Sara is scheduled to have dental surgery tomorrow.  I have a similar problem; need to replace one tooth with an implant, but that tooth is part of a bridge so two other tooth are involved.  I found that the VA will fully cover my dental costs as I am 100% disabled.  But to get them to do it is the problem.  I called the number given me by the local VA clinic, punched in the numbers to get to the appropriate person, waited 52 minutes and finally got a person who said he couldn't help me, but gave me a number to call tomorrow.  So I put my phone on speaker, sat at my desk, and had three glasses of red wine waiting for them to answer.  So if I have an alcohol problem, blame it on the VA!

Ray

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

rri Good luck with the floor guy. Good to hear you slept better. Nice photos.

The HVAC guy showed up early.  What a surprise! I was able to sleep 6 hours straight.  That is a record.

Hopefully I will be able to do that again tonight,

Thanks.

Terri

• Like 20

53 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

We have spent this week dealing with dentists and dental insurance.  For years we have used Delta Dental which is associated with our military retired health plan.  Sara needs to have two teeth removed and implants placed there.  We found a local dental office that can do it and asked them to prepare us a plan showing us the costs for each procedure, what they wanted to charge and what the insurance would pay.  When through about four iterations of that, and finally came up with it would cost us about $5K.  So Sara is scheduled to have dental surgery tomorrow.  I have a similar problem; need to replace one tooth with an implant, but that tooth is part of a bridge so two other tooth are involved.  I found that the VA will fully cover my dental costs as I am 100% disabled.  But to get them to do it is the problem.  I called the number given me by the local VA clinic, punched in the numbers to get to the appropriate person, waited 52 minutes and finally got a person who said he couldn't help me, but gave me a number to call tomorrow.  So I put my phone on speaker, sat at my desk, and had three glasses of red wine waiting for them to answer.  So if I have an alcohol problem, blame it on the VA!

Ray

As a loyal and true vet you deserve better.🇺🇸 Chief

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 14

@JazzyV I agree that we are twins.  I think of you when I limp around the house.  It gets worse as the day goes on.  Are you waking up due to pain or just fretful sleep?   I used to wake up every hour or so throughout the night.  After I had that adrenal tumor removed, it got better, but not good.  So I added in a small dose of magnesium.  My leg cramps have decreased and I am sleeping better.

@Cruzin Terri Yay  on the sleep!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dfish said:

@JazzyV I agree that we are twins.  I think of you when I limp around the house.  It gets worse as the day goes on.  Are you waking up due to pain or just fretful sleep?   I used to wake up every hour or so throughout the night.  After I had that adrenal tumor removed, it got better, but not good.  So I added in a small dose of magnesium.  My leg cramps have decreased and I am sleeping better.

Debbie, I'm waking up due to pain. It seems that laying flat for a few hours must irritate the nerve and then any movement of the right leg causes pain. If I try to then lay on my left side (thinking I'm taking pressure off the right), it is excruciating to move the right leg into position. I found by accident that sitting up and leaning forward for 5-10 minutes alleviates the pain. Then I lay down and fall back asleep until the next episode. Last night it happened 3 times. And the new addition is the feeling like the leg is asleep. During the day I mainly have the tingling and occasional pain in the leg; plus knee pain. On the 2021 MRI I have a lot of narrowing where the nerve that would cause my symptoms exits from the spinal canal. The thought is the steroid may lessen any inflammation of the nerve and lessen the symptoms. I'm a bit concerned about the procedure, but can't do much of anything with lack of sleep and the pain/numbness. I'd like to avoid any back surgery.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

Good evening.  It's  been a long day, and I'm really tired.  It's taken this long to unwind enough to post.

DH got good reports at both visits.  The spine doctor was very pleased, and that was the last visit, unless another problem arises.

The nurse practioner at UTSW was also pleased.  The staples are out and the incision looks good.  DH still can't drive for two more weeks, until the doctor sees him.  If all goes well at that visit, they won't need to see him for a year.  🫰

DH did very well today.  It was the longest he's been up since I don't know when.  By the time we got home out not so smoth highways and streets had shaken his head, but the results weren't as bad as he expected.  

BTW, the convertible ran well.  There was not as much traffic today, and I noticed most of the drivers were ignoring the speed limit and driving like crazy people.

There is a lot I want to comment on, but I'm out of energy tonight.  Tomorrow, I'll try to comment on some of today's post before getting to the new ones tomorrow.  I hope it doesn't confuse people.

Lenda

• Like 16

16 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

Good Morning to All!  I will celebrate all of the days - I am a girl child, I was an ER nurse, and today I will party as I am a year older - well, that was yesterday but I was too busy to party!!  The quote is something like my Dad would always tell me:  Do the best you can today.  It might be less than yesterday or tomorrow but always do your best today.  The meal sounds interesting as well as the drink, pass on the wine and never been to Kiel.  What a great day in Catholic history!!

Had a good day subbing yesterday BUT when I went to get my labs drawn at 0720, their sub didn't come in so that pushed back all appts!  I had to reschedule for today.  Oh, well.  When I went yesterday to sub, I saw lots of "family" I hadn't seen in a while as lots of subs were needed (prof dev day) and received lots of hugs.  I am subbing this afternoon for 3 hours.  Easy, easy day.

So sad what is going on in the world these days.  My thoughts for all on the care list and cheers to those celebrating!!

Have a great Hump day everyone!!

happy birthday!  

12 hours ago, marshhawk said:

The card arrived at 11:30, I walked the dog, so now we have the cash, and the card, and we have a few more errands  to run, train Donna, eat BBQ and watch midsomer murders.  We have made it as far as season 9 when Jones joins the show.  That will be tonights entertainment, a last load of laundry, a last walk through, print our flight tickets, and then tomorrow morning print our boarding passes for the second part of the cruise, and then we are done!  I will be a bundle of nerves until we land in Rome.  Well make that until we check into our hotel.  Make that until we get on board the ship next week.  ARghh!

@TbayWe are planning on attending Mass at the Pantheon on Sunday, our hotel is just two blocks from there.  I bought a purse with locks on all the openings, and when in Rome, the passports will stay in the safe in the room. I will make a copy of the information and keep that in my bag.  couldnt get a limo from the airport, we will do a cab, and I have a novel of receipts and instructions, and information and confirmations.  Split into three groups, the getting there, cruise 1, and then cruise 2.

All my ducks  are now in a row, and the ones that aren't are packed and ready to be hid on a Carnival ship.  I love finding them, but I love seeing other people find ours more.

Annie,  one more suggestion.  Please use a money belt under your clothes for your valuables.  In Italy you are supposed to carry your passport and may be asked by police to see them,  it is Italian law.    Also when you arrive jet lagged,  you won’t need to worry about keeping it safe.  
Not trying to scare you but the pickpockets are very skilled. 

Also at the airport, make sure you go to the official line for the taxi,  don’t pay attention to anyone who wants you to go with them.. . the official taxis are regulated and much safer to choose.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Debbie, I'm waking up due to pain. It seems that laying flat for a few hours must irritate the nerve and then any movement of the right leg causes pain. If I try to then lay on my left side (thinking I'm taking pressure off the right), it is excruciating to move the right leg into position. I found by accident that sitting up and leaning forward for 5-10 minutes alleviates the pain. Then I lay down and fall back asleep until the next episode. Last night it happened 3 times. And the new addition is the feeling like the leg is asleep. During the day I mainly have the tingling and occasional pain in the leg; plus knee pain. On the 2021 MRI I have a lot of narrowing where the nerve that would cause my symptoms exits from the spinal canal. The thought is the steroid may lessen any inflammation of the nerve and lessen the symptoms. I'm a bit concerned about the procedure, but can't do much of anything with lack of sleep and the pain/numbness. I'd like to avoid any back surgery.

Vanessa, I am really having a night of sympathy for you.  My right hip does the same thing.  I can't lay on my left side as it pulls on the right hip and causes worse pain.  If I get up and walk around for a minute or two I can go back to bed and maybe sleep. Surprisingly, I can lay on my right side with no issue.  I am with you on avoiding back surgery.  

• Like 7

Good Evening everyone!

I was an Emergency Nurse for 29 years,  had lots of interesting happenings over the years.  I still think fondly of the colleagues that I worked so closely with over the years.  It was a team effort to take care of people and I mean everyone from our team of techs, secretaries, housekeepers, respiratory therapists, doctors, EMS and sometimes even the local police!  I left just before Covid hit, one day I realized I had done enough, and the next day put in my notice to retire..........but only retired for 2 weeks and started at an outpatient facility taking care of developmental and dementia clients!  My skills are still used but not at the level of emergency care.  It has been a great heading into retirement job.

My shout out to the Emergency nurses that took care of my Dad several times this past year, and they took care of their old colleague when we were there, Thank you!

Today, I took the next step of our life signed up for social security and medicare ...........it really hit home that I am no longer a "kid"  still going to work a bit.  Gives me some extra money to travel with!

Hubby and I are back to thinking about some cruises Panama Canal is high on the list as well as maybe a Northern Europe cruise..........so many ideas!

Take care everyone!

Denise

• Like 15

@JazzyV and @dfish  I couldn't help but read about your pain. As someone who suffered greatly with back pain and did the steroid shots as well - which brought temporary relief, after suffering like this I bit the bullet last spring and had the back surgery.  I just want to say if that is what is recommended to you by your doctor, it is not as bad as you think it will be given all the new techniques used.  I was essentially up and about within a day of the surgery - they won't let you leave the hospital until you can walk.  Yes I had pain after the surgery but my husband who also had it did not.  It has been a great relief to me that I no longer wake up with the excruciating pain I was in prior to the surgery.   Sometimes surgery is the answer.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, dfish said:

I'm borrowing the phrase 'fretful sleep' from you. I've never heard it called that before - it fits perfectly. Thank you.

• Like 4