richwmn

Today is Cookbook Launch Day, National Savings Day, and Old Farmer's Day

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese. - Luis Bunuel

Meal Suggestion for today - Beef Taco Soup
Drink of the Day - Rye Opener
Wine of the Day - Jolie Folle 2012 Rosé Vin de Pays de Méditerranée
Destination of the Day - Costa Maya, Quintana Roo Mexico, Riviera Maya

Today in History:
1492 Christopher Columbus's expedition makes landfall on a Caribbean island he names San Salvador (likely Watling Island, Bahamas). The explorer believes he has reached East Asia (OS 21 Oct)
1900 The first modern submarine is commissioned by the U.S. Navy as the USS Holland, named for its designer John Philip Holland

Ship Locations

Eurodam

San Diego, California 0900-1700

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Nawiliwili (Kauai), Hawaii eta 10-14

Nieuw Amsterdam

Puerto Chiapas, Mexico 0800-1700

Nieuw Statendam

Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey 0700-2000

Noordam

At Sea Destination Hilo, Hawaii eta 10-14

Oosterdam

Istanbul, Turkey

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Ponta Delgada, Azores eta 10-14

Volendam

Honolulu (Oahu), Hawaii Overnight

Zaandam

Panama Canal (Cruising Canal) 0600-0600

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Funchal, Madeira eta 10-18

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Yokohama, Japan eta 10-15
1012West.thumb.png.fe9269769fe1da7a7e68e7683b829d50.png

1012Europe.thumb.png.0165b63508d29e1fdeaab56cb9e7ea29.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 17

Only reaction from the 3 shots yesterday is sore arms.  I'm sure my Tylenol will solve that this morning.

Rye Opener cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Alberta® Rye Dark Batch™ Whisky
1/4 part Amaro Liqueur
1/4 part Kamora® Coffee Liqueur
1/8 part Simple Syrup
2 dashes Orange Bitters
2 dashes Angostura® Bitters
1 flamed Orange Peel

Instructions
Add all ingredients to a mixing glass with ice. Stir and strain either “up” or over one large cube. Garnish with flamed orange oils and orange peel.

Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 6.33.15 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 15

Good morning friends.  We have had a good long rain since late yesterday afternoon and it will continue this morning.  Temp is 57 and this afternoon it will be 65 and cloudy.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for our Daily and Fleet Report!

Today is Cookbook Launch Day for some reason.  Seems like they launch all year long to me but whatever. 😄  I am glad to see National Savings Day because everybody should try to save for "rainy" days like today.  Hurray for Old Farmers!  My grandpa was a farmer and thankfully lived to age 87.  The quote is interesting.  Beef taco soup sounds good, no thanks to the Rye Opener (?), but I'd like to try the Rosé.  Good for Christopher Columbus, but he was way off thinking he was in East Asia!  Amazing the first modern submarine was launched in 1900.  I wouldn't have been brave enough to get in it.  Thanks ahead of time to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for their food and beverage reports this morning.

Prayers first thing today for the people of Israel and Ukraine.  Such horrific happenings on our news these days.  Also for my DB, Susan's DH Scott and DB Mark, our Care list of those in need, and a miracle for Baby Murphy and her parents. 🙏 May all our aches and pains go away!  Extremely minor soreness in my arms.    Meanwhile congrats to all celebrating happy events and glorious cruises around the world.  May everyone have smooth seas, superb food, and interesting ports of call.🥂  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your great lists each day.  We appreciate you!🎉

The port of the day is Costa Maya (Quintana Roo), Mexico on the Mexican Riviera.  This is a first time for this port so no links to post for you.  I visited there twice in 2015 (Regal Princess) and 2019 (Rotterdam).  Once I took a tour and the second time just explored the local development not going too far.  

Hoping everyone has a great day.  Try to stay safe and well!🤞

• Like 28

Good early morning. I slept till 4. Not horrible as I was so tired I went to bed early. Couldn’t pack clothes last night but there is time this morning.  I read yesterday’s posts. Happy birthday @Nickelpenny, wishing you an inspiring year ahead. 
So nice to hear @Lady Hudson you have an option for a cruise with your twin over your birthdays. Leaving DH in DD’s care will be hard but you deserve respite too. Only you can decide and once decided you can trust it was the right decision for you now. 
@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, grateful for DH’s good checkup. One day at a time is everything. 

Annie @marshhawk I hope all is on track for you and Chuck got his infusion and returned home safely. Just be extra careful paying taxis in Italy. Apparently American tourists can be easy to scam. When you pay the driver, show them the denomination of your paper money so they don’t swap it for a lesser bill saying you didn’t give them enough. We used undergarment money belts for passports and extra cash and credit cards, never a hotel safe.  I kept my wallet with just a small amount of money on a retractable cord clipped to a safety pin in my zippered pocket- like a retractable badge holder. I had it knocked out of my hand at least once in Italy while trying top au for something. Maybe not on purpose maybe so, can’t say for sure. You might not have these kinds of items handy now but you might see something useful in an airport store. Just be extra cautious and you’ll be fine. My cousin had her camera on a wrist strap ripped off her hand by a moped driver cruising by. A German tourist warned my husband that a guy next to him was eyeing his Canon camera on his neck strap while he was taking pictures with it. She sidled between them to warn DH. Looked like the guy may have had a knife or box cutter in his hand. Just watch your space and your things. Italy is wonderful with so much to offer and people are helpful and friendly. No need to be fearful or anxious just aware!  

Yesterday we signed with a realtor. She was very prepared, professional and experienced. She lives in our Leisure World 55+ community and she and her sister share the business. We’ll be stripping the apartment down to begin marketing Nov 1!  Grandkids will help, coming next week. I’m not panicking but just can’t see how it’ll all happen. And if it slips we’ll all be fine. Leap of faith, and moving forward on a lot of prayers… which have carried me thus far and through a lot worse!  

Blessings sent, especially to those in pain or struggling in mind, heart or soul. 

Congrats to those celebrating. Life is Good!  

Safe travels to all away. We’ll be heading out this morning to NY, visits with family and meetings at new place tomorrow. Home Sunday assuming the meetings go well and we won’t have to stay till Monday. 

Happy cruising to our many Dailyites aboard!  
Thanks all for being here!  Maureen 

Sunset from our Maryland condo night before last. Oops can’t get it right side up. 

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Too cool here this morning, only 4°C (39°F).  Brrr

I love cookbooks.  Everyone needs to save something.  A big thank you to old farmers (and young ones too).

Interesting quote, but they forgot about wine!

The meal sounds good, I'll pass on the drink, not sure about the wine.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for our world.

Have a good day.  Stay safe.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Costa Maya, Mexico is located on the Yucatan peninsula.  What was at one point a fishing village is now a tourist destination for cruise ship passengers.  You can stay right by the pier and lay by the pool, go shopping, eat at restaurants or even see the dolphins and flamingos they keep on the property.  We have been there twice.  The first time I took a tour of the Chacchoben Mayan ruins and the second time walked around the immediate pier area and even outside the walls to see a Mayan ruin replica we saw from the ship.

On Dec. 10, 2015 we arrived on Regal Princess and I got off the ship to join my tour.  This is what the area looks like from your ship.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

You walk through the “village” and get on your bus for a tour.  Once we left, we saw this replica of the ruins outside the walls of the village.  I had seen it from the top deck of the ship that morning.

Arriving at Chacchoben.  This area was excavated by an American archeologist in 1972. 

My grandson’s Flat Stanley (school project) was excited to be this close to the ancient ruins.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Here they are, what looks like stairs, all uncovered

Our tour guide Pablo telling us about the ruins’ history

Carved stones uncovered

Last looks at the Chacchoben ruins

Then on Feb. 8, 2019 we sailed to Costa Maya on the Rotterdam.  This time we simply walked off the ship and explored what was available there.  At breakfast I saw this huge ship, Allure of the Seas arriving.  It looked like they were going to run us down!

Walking between the two ships, you can see there’s not much space between the overhanding sections of each ship

From this view you can see how freaky the two ships so close together look. 

Here’s some shopping for you

The pool area

Walking outside the walls we went about a block or two away and found the ruins replica seen in 2015.

Back inside, we found a lovely group of flamingos

And a dolphin pool

Not to mention a healthy looking iguana

A good comparison between “just right” and “way too big”

If you prefer the ocean to swim in I recommend the right side of the dock and not the left

Actually, I’d stick with the pool!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Costa Maya, Mexico is located on the Yucatan peninsula.  What was at one point a fishing village is now a tourist destination for cruise ship passengers.  You can stay right by the pier and lay by the pool, go shopping, eat at restaurants or even see the dolphins and flamingos they keep on the property.  We have been there twice.  The first time I took a tour of the Chacchoben Mayan ruins and the second time walked around the immediate pier area and even outside the walls to see a Mayan ruin replica we saw from the ship.

On Dec. 10, 2015 we arrived on Regal Princess and I got off the ship to join my tour.  This is what the area looks like from your ship.

You walk through the “village” and get on your bus for a tour.  Once we left, we saw this replica of the ruins outside the walls of the village.  I had seen it from the top deck of the ship that morning.

Arriving at Chacchoben.  This area was excavated by an American archeologist in 1972. 

My grandson’s Flat Stanley (school project) was excited to be this close to the ancient ruins.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Here they are, what looks like stairs, all uncovered

Our tour guide Pablo telling us about the ruins’ history

Carved stones uncovered

Last looks at the Chacchoben ruins

Then on Feb. 8, 2019 we sailed to Costa Maya on the Rotterdam.  This time we simply walked off the ship and explored what was available there.  At breakfast I saw this huge ship, Allure of the Seas arriving.  It looked like they were going to run us down!

Walking between the two ships, you can see there’s not much space between the overhanding sections of each ship

From this view you can see how freaky the two ships so close together look. 

Here’s some shopping for you

The pool area

Walking outside the walls we went about a block or two away and found the ruins replica seen in 2015.

Back inside, we found a lovely group of flamingos

And a dolphin pool

Not to mention a healthy looking iguana

A good comparison between “just right” and “way too big”

If you prefer the ocean to swim in I recommend the right side of the dock and not the left

Actually, I’d stick with the pool!

Super photos Sandi.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-surgery, on ventilator

HAL Sailer’s DH hospitalized

Mamaofami’s Sam hospitalized

StLouisCruiser’s friend Susan’s DH Scott hospitalized, post-arrest, with complications

USN59-79’s DW Sara having dental surgery today

RMLincoln, safe travels 

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Recovery from Wildfires in Maui, Canadian/US wildfires, earthquakes in Afghanistan

Citizens of Ukraine and Israel

From the Rotation:

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues

Smitty34877 grieving the loss of her DD DH Lou and caring for Tana

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday cruising sister!

Marshhawk and Chuck have a safe flight to Rome!

Welcome back Wannasea

Lady Hudson’s DH Bill improving from bronchitis

Tbay’s DH recovered from pneumonia

Cruising sister’s asthma improving

Quartzsite Cruiser’s DH getting good reports from doctor visits yesterday

HAL Sailer’s DH improved, with possible transfer to inpatient rehab

Mamaofami’s DH Sam hospitalized, with possible transfer to inpatient rehab

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

6 days for Marshhawk (Carnival Pride Oct 18 to Oct 28, Oct 28 to Nov 12)

Rafinmd (Crystal Serenity to Oct 13, Quebec City to NY), Kazu (Rotterdam to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn), 0106 (Rotterdam to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn), St Pete Cruiser (Rotterdam to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn), Live4cruises (Westerdam to Oct 28, N.Pacific crossing & Japan Collector), Horizon Chaser 1957 (Eurodam to Oct 28, Panama Canal) and Lindaler (Volendam to Nov 22, Tales of the South Pacific)

• Like 18
  • Thanks 13

Thank you for today's daily reports.

3 good days and days in history.

Aging affects us all especially with arthritis and other ailments.

Today's food sounds good.

Prayers 🙏 for all on the care list and good wishes for all those cruising or soon to cruise.

Take care and stay safe.

• Like 19

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  It’s another beautiful day and it feels like fall is here to stay. Today’s meal suggestion sounds good on a cool day.  I got an email letting me know that the Covid test kits will be delivered today.

I hope everyone has a good day today.  Time for more coffee.

image.thumb.png.a44ad89e0f9a69a729d9967c914a435c.png

• Like 26

Lorraine @cruising sister a very happy birthday to you today!  Enjoy it and may you have many more!🎂

Annie @marshhawk if there is any way to keep in touch here and let us know how you are faring on your pre-cruise stay and your Rome to Home cruise, please do.  If you can only email and not log in to CC, please consider emailing one of us to let us spread the word.  If you would like to email me I am StLouisCruisers at yahoo dot com.  Safe travels and Bon Voyage!!❤️

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Only reaction from the 3 shots yesterday is sore arms.  I'm sure my Tylenol will solve that this morning.

Rye Opener cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Alberta® Rye Dark Batch™ Whisky
1/4 part Amaro Liqueur
1/4 part Kamora® Coffee Liqueur
1/8 part Simple Syrup
2 dashes Orange Bitters
2 dashes Angostura® Bitters
1 flamed Orange Peel

Instructions
Add all ingredients to a mixing glass with ice. Stir and strain either “up” or over one large cube. Garnish with flamed orange oils and orange peel.

Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 6.33.15 AM.png

Guaranteed after many drinks to keep your eyes open! 😀

• Like 7
  • Haha 7

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors.

That’s all I hav…not two days in a row! Well, here goes.

It’s Old Farmer’s Day! Please,  can we call it More Mature Farmer’s Day!

I have been to Costa Maya several times once to the Maya ruins, and indeed it was in ruins and to a mini resort that had unlimited free drinks. By the end of the day I was in ruins.

And the quote of the day. I guess it better to be a cheese than cut the cheese!

• Like 10
  • Haha 10

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Cloudy and though we have lots of rain, Bindi and I lucked out & it wasn’t even drizzling when we went out last night or this morning. My county is under a tornado watch until 9 this morning.🤞🏻 that it does not turn into a warning. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping our lists. Praying that you find an end to your pain. 

Today I get my vaccines, so I purposely planned a very light day. The only thing I HAVE to do is take Bindi out. But I would love to get my smoke detector batteries changed, if I am up to it. And there are countless rainy day chores just waiting for me. 

IMG_1832.jpeg.ebba1f09c5af2bbfa31f5cf33acab872.jpeg

IMG_4088.jpeg.6c04704dbdea059e66fc3e01dc0d8211.jpeg

IMG_1836.jpeg.bdd1c451147d8af2533bf493a5a55afa.jpeg

Praying for all who need our support. @smitty34877 Terry, keeping you, Tana, your families & support teams in my prayers. @HAL Sailer Melissa, praying DH continues to improve. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. @cruising sister 

Happy Birthday!🥳

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Jolie Folle 2012 Rosé Vin de Pays de Méditerranée

Rosé fans this one might be a great one to try. Lots of consumer fans, and the 2012 vintage is still available. Online prices start at $14.97.

Distributor notes

Light, zesty and classic, this is quintessential rose from Provence but with the added bonus of more volume and less drain on your pocket. The grapes for this wine are picked at night to maximize freshness and purity of fruit. The result is a gorgeous wine that is bursting with lush red fruits, tangy spice and a dash of minerality. A liter of rose from the Provence region in southern France. Do you you really need anything else during the spring and summer months? 

Varietals: Grenache / Carignan / Syrah

About: Jolie Folle is a project from Crazy Beautiful Wines. Jolie Folle translates loosely to "crazy beautiful." The name was inspired by an Argentine compliment for someone who is "crazy in a good way." The focus is to partner with farmers, growers, and winemakers to produce select varietals from around the world.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 5

Good morning. I just hears the boiler make the “heat on” noise and I am grateful for it. It is fifty now, going up to the high sixties. We will have two more days of sunshine before the rain returns.

I have not been to the port but the recipe sounds interesting. I salute farmers both old and young.I made a cookbook for DS when he was in college and was touched to see that he still uses it for some of the Swedish specialties in his own home

@cruising sister a very Happy Birthday to you!

@marshhawk, Annie and Chuck, safe travels today to Rome. I hope the flight is drama free and that you two can enjoy yourselves.

@Quartzsite Cruiser, I was so happy to read about Steve’s good report from the doctor. I hope the recovery process continues in this good direction.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2