Beyond LIVE Med Review 10/20-10/30: Tales from our Suite Roman Holiday

GenerationX

I hereby declare this my civic duty to talk you @GenerationX down from the Chanel.  That six grand could be a whole (or large share of) other cruise fare on Beyond, be it solo, w/ hubs, or w/ GenZ.  The ABC islands are calling you back to Beyond in 2024.  Let it not go unmentioned that the shop ladies made a very noble effort tempting you with the BOGO on the Hermes.  Was that a flash sale or is it ongoing?  😂  Enjoy your sea day!!

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

I hereby declare this my civic duty to talk you @GenerationX down from the Chanel.  That six grand could be a whole (or large share of) other cruise fare on Beyond, be it solo, w/ hubs, or w/ GenZ.  The ABC islands are calling you back to Beyond in 2024.  Let it not go unmentioned that the shop ladies made a very noble effort tempting you with the BOGO on the Hermes.  Was that a flash sale or is it ongoing?  😂  Enjoy your sea day!!

My thoughts exactly…Handbags are nice but cruise memories are priceless!

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 9

33 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I don’t know who this “Jeremy” person is, but he needs a smack.  Elitist?  Haha.  😂

(Maybe he deserves to go home in coach for that comment?)  🙂

P.S.  Buy the Chanel bag.  Do it!  You deserve it.  I’m not a fashionista but sometimes I wish I were a woman so I could wear a Chanel suit.  They are so nice.  😂

Oh @zitsky you are a terrible influence and I think we all need to sail together (poor Jeremy 😂). So…how’s  your calendar look for a March Caribbean sailing?

P.S. To each their own but I for one am a firm believer in “if you love it, can afford it and can fit into it, rock it.”  To me gender is a trivial matter when it comes to Chanel suits! 😂

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

You are quite right!  

Don’t get me started though on how right now $6K doesn’t get you nearly as close to a week in the retreat on e-class in the Caribbean as it did last year…but here I go sounding like I need a shawl and a nap “in MY day…” 😂 

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I take meds that make me use the bathroom fairly often.  Traveling gets interesting when you are stuck on a bus without a functioning bathroom.  I count the minutes until a rest stop.  My husband teases me about it when we travel.  😭

me too.. our days out often  involve strategic  rest stop planning.. .

30 minutes ago, chemmo said:

My thoughts exactly…Handbags are nice but cruise memories are priceless!

I have acquired a nice collection of  "new sale" cruise handbags; and also have a few nice Gucci..love them  ! 

Now I am mostly retired &  not needing more.  A good bag lasts a very long time..

I personally disliked the pre-owned clothes and handbag area on Beyond when we visited.  It was in disarray,   did not have a new clothes fragrance  and not sure abt the feng shui??? 

I know it's a big thing now.. some ladies I know buy and re- sell...Whatever works..!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

Don’t get me started though on how right now $6K doesn’t get you nearly as close to a week in the retreat on e-class in the Caribbean as it did last year

Yeah but it'll easily get you a full week on MSC in YC 🤣 Sorry, I couldn't resist.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Yeah but it'll easily get you a full week on MSC in YC 🤣 Sorry, I couldn't resist.

True.  Story.  About to be my reality.  Been waiting close to 300 days since booking YC after @GenerationX Charlacized me.  Bring on the velvety blue towels and the MSC Signature Martinis.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, RichYak said:

No need to apologize because you aren’t wrong at all.  The siren song of MSC yacht club pricing is pretty hard to resist!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

True.  Story.  About to be my reality.  Been waiting close to 300 days since booking YC after @GenerationX Charlacized me.  Bring on the velvety blue towels and the MSC Signature Martinis.

I am right there with you.  I started looking at MSC YC after reading her review.  We get our "fix" in February and it can't come soon enough. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

No need to apologize because you aren’t wrong at all.  The siren song of MSC yacht club pricing is pretty hard to resist!

I think it is high time you introduce Jeremy to the MSC YC, if not a 'whole family' MSC Adventure. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, GenerationX said:

Happy to share!  I’m having trouble getting the Viator site to load but here’s a screenshot of the booking from my app. I think you can search for the name on Viator and it should pop up.

A3B81F64-52B3-4BFA-BFAB-F5612DB2E0DC.thumb.jpeg.56951a0c8e1c4726aa3f1271f7b99194.jpeg

Thank you.  I had found several, but it's good to know which one you were happy with.  Thanks for a great "live".  I'm so excited for out first Med cruise next year and I'm learning lots of great things from you!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ncgolferette said:

How is the “retreat team” working out?   I don’t think you have posted anything about it yet.

So I’ve been intentionally holding off on this because I want to be as fair as possible and give it a few days living in it before fully deciding on my thoughts and reporting, but thus far, to quote Michael Kors judging Project Runway, “I’m underwhelmed.”

I really do want to give it a little more time before sharing details behind my feelings because in fairness, my last Beyond cruise I had what I’m told was one of the best butlers in all Celebrity, Elaine. So it would be tough to meet the standard she set again even without the cutbacks.

I’ll do a more detailed post in a couple of days once I’ve lived in it longer, and my position may well change by then, but my initial impression is that there’s NO WAY I’d pay the full 5 figure price being charged these days for a sky suite in E-class on Celebrity when I consider what I get and could get on other lines for the same or a bit more/less money.

But I promise I’ll do a full “new world” sky suite life experience post once I have more data to go on. Sorry, I think the extensive analyzing/assessing is a lawyer thing. It drives Jeremy crazy too. lol 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

The bags are way over priced on board ! Better to buy when back in Europe 

Couldn't agree more. Less than 2 months ago I was on Edge, and by chance met a friend of mine, who had lots of NR OBC to spend...

Somehow she decided that I have good taste, and asked me to accompany her to the shop, where she had her eye on a Coach bag. It was marked at 490$, but the seller said that "just today" they have a "sale" and my friend can have it at 435$. It really was a very nice bag and my friend, though still hesitant, bought it...

Two weeks after the cruise I saw this bag at 395$, without any sale 😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

So I’ve been intentionally holding off on this because I want to be as fair as possible and give it a few days living in it before fully deciding on my thoughts and reporting, but thus far, to quote Michael Kors judging Project Runway, “I’m underwhelmed.”

I really do want to give it a little more time before sharing details behind my feelings because in fairness, my last Beyond cruise I had what I’m told was one of the best butlers in all Celebrity, Elaine. So it would be tough to meet the standard she set again even without the cutbacks.

I’ll do a more detailed post in a couple of days once I’ve lived in it longer, and my position may well change by then, but my initial impression is that there’s NO WAY I’d pay the full 5 figure price being charged these days for a sky suite in E-class on Celebrity when I consider what I get and could get on other lines for the same or a bit more/less money.

But I promise I’ll do a full “new world” sky suite life experience post once I have more data to go on. Sorry, I think the extensive analyzing/assessing is a lawyer thing. It drives Jeremy crazy too. lol 

For me, personally, I'd be curious to know the answer if you asked for snacks/fruit/cheese (whatever) and maybe a glass or 2 of wine delivered to your stateroom each afternoon. This is an important, yet seemingly simple, part of butler service for me. It's nice when it's there when I return from an excursion. I really am hoping the answer isn't "Call room service."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Couldn't agree more. Less than 2 months ago I was on Edge, and by chance met a friend of mine, who had lots of NR OBC to spend...

Somehow she decided that I have good taste, and asked me to accompany her to the shop, where she had her eye on a Coach bag. It was marked at 490$, but the seller said that "just today" they have a "sale" and my friend can have it at 435$. It really was a very nice bag and my friend, though still hesitant, bought it...

Two weeks after the cruise I saw this bag at 395$, without any sale 😉

that's  a very high mark up.. Coach is sold at most major Dept Stores, online and at Outlets..great outlet in San Juan with current stock!

4 hours ago, snowowl said:

We are also onboard the Beyond. There is a Retreat check-in area at the terminal. It is on the left when we get off the escalator. 

Was there a separate Retreat line to get into the building?  I don’t recall.  I remember the lounge being in an open area at the top of the escalator.

There are some who are still interested in Celebrity and hoping things improve in the Retreat.  There are at least two or three of us who feel that way.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GenerationX said:

Oh @zitsky you are a terrible influence and I think we all need to sail together (poor Jeremy 😂). So…how’s  your calendar look for a March Caribbean sailing?

P.S. To each their own but I for one am a firm believer in “if you love it, can afford it and can fit into it, rock it.”  To me gender is a trivial matter when it comes to Chanel suits! 😂

I’ll check my calendar!  Do they make Chanel suits in XL???

Sharing an experience I had this past year at a shop on the Celebrity Summit. While browsing, my eyes were surprised when I saw a Lilly Pulitzer dress that I have owned for several years (more than 5 years) and had bought at an "outlet" sale. It was selling for full price and there was a stock of them in the shop. Caution when shopping expensive designer goods on ships, and if possible, do a bit of research before splurging! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, GenerationX said:

I've some price creep in YC sailings that we were looking at. See what you did!!!!!

mac_Tlc

• Haha 1