Flam railway timing question

22 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

We dock at 8. Will we be able to make the 9 AM train? I'd think an hour leeway there is enough time and the station is so close to where we dock.  

Then, we have an 11:30 excursion from Flam. We'll be back in time for that, yes?

Based on last year's schedule (you didn't say when you are travelling but these particular trains were scheduled for April to October), there is an 8:25 train that would get you back at 10:23, or a 9:30 train that would get you back at 11:39 which is too late for your excursion. I can't comment on your ability to make the 8:25 train.

• Like 1

If you are off the ship by 8, you likely would make 8:25.   Thing do happen however.   On our last cruise to Flam, our ship docked, they let only cruiseline excursion people off, then they pulled back to tender everyone else, while another ship docked.   So we tendered and we tendered off well after our posted docking time.    I still don't know what the rational was with that arrangment. 

All that said, the train is not a very expensive ticket, I would book the 8:25 and likely you will make it.  Just my opinion.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CCJack said:

If you are off the ship by 8, you likely would make 8:25.   Thing do happen however.   On our last cruise to Flam, our ship docked, they let only cruiseline excursion people off, then they pulled back to tender everyone else, while another ship docked.   So we tendered and we tendered off well after our posted docking time.    I still don't know what the rational was with that arrangment. 

All that said, the train is not a very expensive ticket, I would book the 8:25 and likely you will make it.  Just my opinion.  

It's not expensive, but if you miss it it the rest of the day's trains could be full  if there are multiple ships in port and you might not be able to reschedule the train for later.  We easily did two tours in Flam, but had a bit more time in between.  Have you looked into alternative providers for the second tour so you can give yourself a bit more leeway?

Edited by kitkat343

9 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

We do have a private excursion booked just for us so I can slide that down a little if I have to.

Just note that the times I gave are for last summer. I’m still waiting for the new schedule to come out. Currently, there is no information beyond December 9. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hallasm said:

This is time table for summer 2023 - do not expect major changes for 2024. Very similar timing to last years.

Tickets will be available 5 to 6 months in advance.

IMG_5938.jpeg

That is what I am expecting, but I'd like to see it in print (actually online).

12 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

How many passengers can the Flam railway take at one time? 

The number of passengers in a train is around 250 - when there are cruise ships the capacity is fully utilized - tickets must be purchased in advance.

12 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

if we leave at 9:30 we should be "home" at 11:30

Yes, maybe 11:39 - No reason to stay in Myrdal - the only alternative is to rent a bike in Myrdal and bike down hill from Myrdal to Flåm - 19 km / 1 hour.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

I know some train system in Europe are legendary for being "down to the minute." Is this that kind of train?

I have somewhat bad experience with the regularity of American trains - but also longer distances.
Flåmsbanan (Flåm Railway) is in general “down to the minute”.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hallasm said:

I have somewhat bad experience with the regularity of American trains - but also longer distances.
Flåmsbanan (Flåm Railway) is in general “down to the minute”.

It's a good time for me to say "thank you" to all who have helped so much with my Norway cruise planning but especially to HALLASM.  You're just the best!  Thank you thank you thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

vy.no has just started putting up the timetables beginning December 10. They have not yet posted the schedule for the Flåmsbana, but I think that it should be soon.

yes, but while there are often only four departures a day in the low season, there are eight/nine departures in the high season - moreover, departure times in the low season are different from the high season.

16 minutes ago, hallasm said:

yes, but while there are often only four departures a day in the low season, there are eight/nine departures in the high season - moreover, departure times in the low season are different from the high season.

Last year they posted the entire year’s schedule. I am assuming they will do the same this year. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The new yearly schedule from Dec 10 2023 to Dec 14 2024 has now been posted at https://www.vy.no/en/traffic-and-routes/times?item=2893

They have simplified the schedule a bit; there are only 3 different timetables rather than the 4 that were there last year. The summer schedule runs from May 1 to Sept 30, with 9 round trips per day.

Low season (winter) Dec 10 2023 to Mar 31 2024 and Nov 1 2024 to Dec 14 2024

Shoulder season April 1 to 30 2024 and Oct 1 to Oct 31 2024

High season May 1 2024 to Sept 30 2024.

I have not yet seen any new dates come up on Norway's Best. They still show only to the end of March 2024.

• Thanks 1

Norway in a nutshell schedules April 2024 and forward:   Booking engine was wonky yesterday.  First dates appeared but only for Bergen RT.  Then poof, dates disappeared.  Today all is working fine and booked successfully, Oslo to Bergen 

• 4 weeks later...

Just to butt in........lol

Is there anything to do at the top? Or is it best to get the next train back down appropriately 10mins  after arrival? Is it worth waiting for the train  after? Does the ticket allow you to do this or are you restricted by times.?Definitely won't be cycling back down!!!!Sort of planning my trip there in May.TIA.

😊