Flam railway timing question

For information @little britain @BuckeyeMark.
I try to answer specific questions in this Forum when they are asked, but I do not check specific times for when it is possible to book the train and therefore cannot promise to tag anyone! Available sites for booking the Flåm Train are Norways Best  and Vy,no

You must check yourself or cooperate with someone in your Roll Calls.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hallasm said:

For information @little britain @BuckeyeMark.
I try to answer specific questions in this Forum when they are asked, but I do not check specific times for when it is possible to book the train and therefore cannot promise to tag anyone! Available sites for booking the Flåm Train are Norways Best  and Vy,no

You must check yourself or cooperate with someone in your Roll Calls.

Hallasm you do such a great job on this forum ... you mean you have something better to do than check the Flam RR schedule every day?!  LOL  I'll keep checking it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@little britain @BuckeyeMark The dates including May and June are now showing up as available, but when you try to book them you get an error message. I chatted with them and they confirmed that the dates are not yet available for booking despite showing up on the calendar, and that my date (end of June) should be available later in December or in January.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, gnome12 said:

@little britain @BuckeyeMark The dates including May and June are now showing up as available, but when you try to book them you get an error message. I chatted with them and they confirmed that the dates are not yet available for booking despite showing up on the calendar, and that my date (end of June) should be available later in December or in January.

Thanks for letting me know. Yes error message of “We’re sorry but there are no bookable alternatives for the selected date, please try another date.”

26 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I think the sold out times are prebooked by the cruise lines.

No, cruise lines does not purchase from Norways Best - Norways Best is a travel agency buying a number of tickets from the vendor, Sometimes they are able to get more tickets. 60 days in advance tickets will also be available at vy.no

Edited by hallasm

56 minutes ago, hallasm said:

No, cruise lines does not purchase from Norways Best - Norways Best is a travel agency buying a number of tickets from the vendor, Sometimes they are able to get more tickets. 60 days in advance tickets will also be available at vy.no

OK. But if a time is sold out on Norway's best on the first day of availability, I would assume that vy.no didn't give them an allocation for that time because the cruise lines had put holds on those times, or at least that the cruise lines were expected to do so.

8 hours ago, gnome12 said:

OK. But if a time is sold out on Norway's best on the first day of availability,

Very likely. Capacity of the five trains available on the day is 75% of guests capacity on Antem - two ships in port June 17.

Having a little trouble on vy. no for May 18, 2023.  We'd like the 9 from Flam to Myrdal (spelling that right?).  The site comes up with a lot of Norwegian despite Google's attempts to translate it but I think it says "this is 120 days out - can't book yet."  
Am I doing this right?

Flam to myrdal.jpg

Edited by BuckeyeMark

2 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Having a little trouble on vy. no for May 18, 2023.  We'd like the 9 from Flam to Myrdal (spelling that right?).  The site comes up with a lot of Norwegian despite Google's attempts to translate it but I think it says "this is 120 days out - can't book yet."  
Am I doing this right?

Flam to myrdal.jpg

You can’t book on vy.no this early. You can only book round trips on norwaysbest.com. What are your plans for getting back from Myrdal? Vy.no does not release all available seats to norwaysbest, so there should be some availability 120 days out if you really only want a one way trip. 

By the way, there is no 9 am train. The first trip is 8:25, the next is 9:30. 

Edited by gnome12

11 hours ago, gnome12 said:

You can’t book on vy.no this early. You can only book round trips on norwaysbest.com. What are your plans for getting back from Myrdal? Vy.no does not release all available seats to norwaysbest, so there should be some availability 120 days out if you really only want a one way trip. 

By the way, there is no 9 am train. The first trip is 8:25, the next is 9:30. 

We want to go from Flam to Myrdal and then back to Flam - round trip.  And we need that 9:30. Is that book-able at Norway's Best? Norway's Best doesn't seem to have the round trip option. We just want to ride the famous Flam railway up and back. That's all I'm looking for.

Edited by BuckeyeMark

48 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

We want to go from Flam to Myrdal and then back to Flam - round trip.  And we need that 9:30. Is that book-able at Norway's Best? Norway's Best doesn't seem to have the round trip option. We just want to ride the famous Flam railway up and back. That's all I'm looking for.

@BuckeyeMark Yes, you can book the round trip

https://www.norwaysbest.com/the-flam-railway/round-trip-with-the-flam-railway/?referrer=3919

Hit the book now.

Unfortunately, the 9:30 and 10:45 departures are both shown as sold out on May 18.

Edited by gnome12

28 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

@BuckeyeMark Yes, you can book the round trip

https://www.norwaysbest.com/the-flam-railway/round-trip-with-the-flam-railway/?referrer=3919

Hit the book now.

Unfortunately, the 9:30 and 10:45 departures are both shown as sold out on May 18.

HOW CAN THEY BE SOLD OUT?!  They haven't even been on sale yet.  This is crazy.  This is my worst fear - I've got a group of 100+ and we have an excursion that afternoon with the cruise line. We need to go in the morning. Don't dock till 8.  Can't make that 8:30 train (prolly).  Need the 9:30 and now it's sold out before we ever had a shot at it.  #frustrated

Edited by BuckeyeMark

1 hour ago, BuckeyeMark said:

HOW CAN THEY BE SOLD OUT?!  They haven't even been on sale yet.  This is crazy.  This is my worst fear - I've got a group of 100+ and we have an excursion that afternoon with the cruise line. We need to go in the morning. Don't dock till 8.  Can't make that 8:30 train (prolly).  Need the 9:30 and now it's sold out before we ever had a shot at it.  #frustrated

I have to assume that the times are booked by the cruise lines as discussed above in posts 39-43. To be honest, I'm not sure that you could get a group of 100+ onto any train.