Martini Flight Question

MattnTricia

I am typically a wine drinker who enjoys an occasional crown royal or Bourbon Old fashioned although I do like the occasional

Bloody Mary or Vodka cocktail also.   

I have never really ventured in to martini's but would like to try several to see if it's something I like. 

I realize I have the premium  package and can order different ones to try but I would feel guilty ordering one after another and potentially not drinking a few of them.  I have some OBC to burn and was just considering ordering the martini flight.   Any other suggestion to get smaller pours  to just try different martinis with our package?

Edited by MattnTricia

Not martini but I did a scotch flight.  To learn something.  The host wasn’t that great.  I knew more than they did.  But I’m signed up for a cocktail mixing class next time.  And the crazy world wine tour.

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Not martini but I did a scotch flight.  To learn something.  The host wasn’t that great.  I knew more than they did.  But I’m signed up for a cocktail mixing class next time.  And the crazy world wine tour.

What is crazy about the world wine tour?   I have seen positive reviews but nothing really that descriptive. 

The Martini Flight isn’t included in your package.  You will have to pay full price plus gratuity. 

You have the premium pack.  Order a martini.   Try it. Don’t like it, walk away and leave it somewhere or tell the BT you dont like it and want to try something different.  After trying a few you can usually tell if you will like it or not but some combinations may surprise you.   

If you like sweet martinis and smooth drinks the desert martinis are nice.  Like ice cream drinks like a mudslide, or  Kahlua and cream.

No need to do a flight.   Another suggestion is for the person you are with to order something different and sample both

I am a bourbon old fashion drinker.  They have a zacapa  old fashion at the World Class Bar.  I will have a few of them and then ask for it made with bourbon.  They use Luxardo cherries and a large ice cube.     If you order one at any other bar ask what  bourbon they have and tell them not to top it off with water or seltzer as many will do if you don’t tell them.   Not many bars  have the premium bourbons and they will use Ten High or Beam.   Some bars will stock Woodford, Woodford Double Oak, MM, and maybe a few other better bourbons.   You need to look around and ask.  It doesn’t take us very long to find a bar and BT that makes it the way we like.   My wife likes a splash of Grand Marnier in hers to add a little more orange taste and extra sweetener.  

Happy cruising 

I have no problem whatsoever in ordering a drink…especially a martini, trying it and if I don’t like it, ordering another one in its place. It’s one of the few times I feel like I can sample things with reckless abandon!    Like you, I don’t like to waste so try consulting with the bartender. Tell them what you like/don’t like..ie too sweet, too bitter, don’t want gin…etc. they are pretty good at coming up with an option to suit. Have fun with it!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, miched said:

The Martini Flight isn’t included in your package.  You will have to pay full price plus gratuity. 

You have the premium pack.  Order a martini.   Try it. Don’t like it, walk away and leave it somewhere or tell the BT you dont like it and want to try something different.  After trying a few you can usually tell if you will like it or not but some combinations may surprise you.   

If you like sweet martinis and smooth drinks the desert martinis are nice.  Like ice cream drinks like a mudslide, or  Kahlua and cream.

No need to do a flight.   Another suggestion is for the person you are with to order something different and sample both

I am a bourbon old fashion drinker.  They have a zacapa  old fashion at the World Class Bar.  I will have a few of them and then ask for it made with bourbon.  They use Luxardo cherries and a large ice cube.     If you order one at any other bar ask what  bourbon they have and tell them not to top it off with water or seltzer as many will do if you don’t tell them.   Not many bars  have the premium bourbons and they will use Ten High or Beam.   Some bars will stock Woodford, Woodford Double Oak, MM, and maybe a few other better bourbons.   You need to look around and ask.  It doesn’t take us very long to find a bar and BT that makes it the way we like.   My wife likes a splash of Grand Marnier in hers to add a little more orange taste and extra sweetener.  

Happy cruising 

Thanks for the info - I am such a creature of habit I thought it would be good to stretch my horizons this trip as we have 5 sea day and another 9-10 coming up on a Princess cruise over the XMAS Holidays. 

I definitely like my Old Fashion with Bulleit, a nice orange biters and a couple of Cocktail Cherries. 

I have to admit Luxardo is the best cherry  but my home cherry is Penninsula Premium Cocktail Cherries which are a close 2nd at half the price.

Hoping Bulleit, and Woodford Reserve will be available at the specialty restaurants and bars as they are typically my go to.  

If you've got OBC to burn, there's nothing wrong with doing a flight. But you shouldn't have to. You can get a full size martini and not finish it (it's in your package) or ask and they'll probably make you a small one. I mean if it's an hour before first seating and they're in "show mode" at the Martini Bar, they'll be on autopilot and that may be easier said than done. But if there are several people at the bar and you just want to try some different styles, it's pretty simple to make more than one at a time and "sell" you a small one to try.

Is there a current martini bar menu anywhere on the 'net? I found one on someone's site that I was looking at. I find it fascinating that the martini bar actually doesn't have a traditional gin martini on the menu... (They have a "classic" with vodka, not gin. No dry martini, no vesper, etc. Or am I missing it?)

1 hour ago, miched said:

walk away and leave it somewhere

Huh, So take a sip at the bar and dont like it, dont bother give it back to bartender but walk away and leave it on another table or something and then go back and  order something else?  Its very easy to tell bartender that you  dont like this drink can I get something else but naaaa lets create more work for other people I see.     

10 hours ago, MattnTricia said:

What is crazy about the world wine tour?   I have seen positive reviews but nothing really that descriptive. 

I wasn’t disparaging it.  It’s rather fun.  But it’s a million people crowded into a small area all trying to drink as much as possible in one hour.  And some of us trying to find a new favorite wine or learn something.

I signed up for the martini flight on the Eclipse.  6 X 3 oz = 18 oz 😂😂😂

10 hours ago, markeb said:

Is there a current martini bar menu anywhere on the 'net? I found one on someone's site that I was looking at. I find it fascinating that the martini bar actually doesn't have a traditional gin martini on the menu... (They have a "classic" with vodka, not gin. No dry martini, no vesper, etc. Or am I missing it?)

The app is your best spot (you don't need to even have a reservation to browse ships and sailing on the app).  The menus are different on Edge Class ships vs. M and S class ships.

They will gladly make you a gin dry martini if you ask. 

48 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I signed up for the martini flight on the Eclipse.  6 X 3 oz = 18 oz 😂😂😂

I did the flight on the Eclipse in May and it was more alcohol than I was expecting!  Afterwards, the bartender was ready to make me a full one of whichever I liked best, something I definitely wasn't ready for especially on an empty stomach (it was mid-late afternoon before dinner)!  🤣

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, prmssk said:

I did the flight on the Eclipse in May and it was more alcohol than I was expecting!  Afterwards, the bartender was ready to make me a full one of whichever I liked best, something I definitely wasn't ready for especially on an empty stomach (it was mid-late afternoon before dinner)!  🤣

I hear you!  

10 hours ago, markeb said:

If you've got OBC to burn, there's nothing wrong with doing a flight. But you shouldn't have to. You can get a full size martini and not finish it (it's in your package) or ask and they'll probably make you a small one. I mean if it's an hour before first seating and they're in "show mode" at the Martini Bar, they'll be on autopilot and that may be easier said than done. But if there are several people at the bar and you just want to try some different styles, it's pretty simple to make more than one at a time and "sell" you a small one to try.

None of the bar menus list all drinks that they can make.

DH frequently gets a dry martini.  I order martinis that are no longer on the menu and as long as they have the ingredients they will make them. 

If the martini bar keeps the smaller martini glasses you can ask for your martini to be made in the smaller glass since you aren't sure you will like the drink. Then when you find one you like have them use the bigger glasses used for the premium package.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MattnTricia said:

I realize I have the premium  package and can order different ones to try but I would feel guilty ordering one after another and potentially not drinking a few of them.  I have some OBC to burn and was just considering ordering the martini flight.   Any other suggestion to get smaller pours  to just try different martinis with our package?

Personally, I would not be concerned about not liking a drink and leaving it and ordering something else.  Many of us have done it and there is nothing the bar staff has not seen happen before.  I once ordered a "Vesper" and took one sip, told the bartender I did not like it and ordered something else. 

I view having the Premium Drink Package as an opportunity to try as many things as possible.  I am not a fan ot peaty scotch's but that does not stop me from trying new ones while onboard.  One of these day I may make an expensive discovery and find a scotch I like.  Mean time, I'll still to my rums at under $100 a bottle.  🙂 

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

The app is your best spot (you don't need to even have a reservation to browse ships and sailing on the app).  The menus are different on Edge Class ships vs. M and S class ships.

They will gladly make you a gin dry martini if you ask. 

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

None of the bar menus list all drinks that they can make.

DH frequently gets a dry martini.  I order martinis that are no longer on the menu and as long as they have the ingredients they will make them. 

I realize this. I just find it strangely ironic that a martini bar doesn't list traditional martinis on its menu. It seems funny to me. 

12 minutes ago, markeb said:

I realize this. I just find it strangely ironic that a martini bar doesn't list traditional martinis on its menu. It seems funny to me. 

We tried a traditional one on our last cruise.  We will pass...🤣  Probably our least favorite.

21 minutes ago, markeb said:

I suspect that people who prefer a dry martini already know that and never hesitate to order it at any bar regardless of whether it is on the menu.  The menus are more for the people who don't know what they want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

I suspect that people who prefer a dry martini already know that and never hesitate to order it at any bar regardless of whether it is on the menu.  The menus are more for the people who don't know what they want.

I like to rinse the glass with vermouth then pour out and fill with vodka.  I had one at a restaurant that was almost sweet.  Was it the vermouth?