MoveUp Bids, do the prices go down?

cruisingaussies

• We received a MoveUp Bid email for our 21 December Holiday cruise.  I checked and there appear to be 20 Sky Suites, 3 Magic Carpet, 3 Aqua Sky Suites and 3 Celebrity Suites available.  This seems a lot of availability in Suites but I think it's because the prices, even for a Holiday cruise departing 21 December, were/are outrageous.

Can anyone tell me:

Does Celebrity usually reduce the Move Up Bid price if there is still plenty of Suite availability getting closer to departure?

and

If they do reduce the bid price, will they send us another Move Up email?

Thanks for any answers!

• Like 1

I have seen them reduce the price a couple times.   Must agree with other it is unusual.

On the particular instance, I had bid on an Upgrade I really wanted near the maximum amount.  A couple weeks later I looked and the Maximum price had dropped well below my bid.   My bid had not changed so I had to manually modify the bid down.   BTW I won the bid

10 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have seen them reduce the price a couple times.   Must agree with other it is unusual.

On the particular instance, I had bid on an Upgrade I really wanted near the maximum amount.  A couple weeks later I looked and the Maximum price had dropped well below my bid.   My bid had not changed so I had to manually modify the bid down.   BTW I won the bid

Did the minimum bid change as well? Or only the maximum? I've not seen the minimum change before! Just checked and still the same minimums for my upcoming cruise, sadly..

I haven't cruised for a few years, the Move Up is new to me. I have tried to check on the site to see if I'm eligible for an upgrade, but nothing happens when I enter my last name and my reservation number. It says below were you enter the info "Eligible reservations on all Celebrity Cruise ships within 30 days of departure date"

I'm on the Dec 24th sailing of the Ascent, so I had assumed that I need to be inside the 30 days, but I see the OP here is on a Dec 21st sailing and has received a Move Up email. Can someone clarify what I should do/expect?

3 hours ago, jayoldschool said:

I haven't cruised for a few years, the Move Up is new to me. I have tried to check on the site to see if I'm eligible for an upgrade, but nothing happens when I enter my last name and my reservation number. It says below were you enter the info "Eligible reservations on all Celebrity Cruise ships within 30 days of departure date"

I'm on the Dec 24th sailing of the Ascent, so I had assumed that I need to be inside the 30 days, but I see the OP here is on a Dec 21st sailing and has received a Move Up email. Can someone clarify what I should do/expect?

We’re on the same sailing and received a Move Up email last week. 

10 hours ago, behtyas said:

Did the minimum bid change as well? Or only the maximum? I've not seen the minimum change before! Just checked and still the same minimums for my upcoming cruise, sadly..

Yes they reduced both the minimum and Max.     Like I said this has only happened twice out of over 20 bids.   In the last year I've seen minimums that were obscene.

4 hours ago, jayoldschool said:

There is no standard.  They say 30 days but I have seen as far out as 75 days and down to about 25 days.      Typical of Celebrity - inconsistent.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

There is no standard.  They say 30 days but I have seen as far out as 75 days and down to about 25 days.      Typical of Celebrity - inconsistent.

That certainly is inconsistent!  Ah well I'll just wait and see.  DH is saying a firm NO to moving up as we do have a SV which we loved on Beyond (this year it's the Edge).  But if a better offer comes in, he could be swayed...possibly.  The rooms with an opening window, aka Infinite Veranda, do not appeal so we're glad we booked very early to get a real balcony.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I have been able to do a MoveUp bid at 68 days currently.

It is probably a mute point as there are very few if any empty cabins and my bids were in the middle.

We had a very early opening too; however, the prices to MoveUp were much higher that even I would have expected; very much like my last 8 night cruise from Italy.  14,000+ for a Sky Suite on Beyond.  It stayed vacant and a winner from booking a cruise onboard was given 3 free days in it.  Honestly, you never know what will happen before you board, or in our case even when you are onboard with a b2b.

Good Luck!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

We’re on the same sailing and received a Move Up email last week. 

No kidding! Can you post what the offers were? Wonder why I didn't get an email. Is it cabin-specific?

<edit> Tried the site again, at least something happens now! Got this pop up when I entered my info:

Your reservation is not eligible to place a bid at this time. To be eligible to submit a bid the following requirements must be met:

• Must be 21 years or older.
  • The booking must be paid in full.
  • Travel Agency must be a participating agency in the CELEBRITY MOVEUP program.
  • Bidding opens 90 days before sailing.

Please ensure there are no errors in the information you entered
Email CelebrityMoveUp@celebrity.com for help with eligibility

Edited by jayoldschool
added info

13 minutes ago, jayoldschool said:

No kidding! Can you post what the offers were? Wonder why I didn't get an email. Is it cabin-specific?

There may be a couple reasons you did not receive an offer.

1.  You have to opt in to receive Celebrity Promotional e-mails

2.  You will not receive an invite if booked with the Big Box Store. (they do not participate).

3.  Celebrity inept IT Group.    I only receive move-up invites about 50% of the time.

You do not need an invite to bid -   Just go to  https://www.celebritycruises.com/bid-on-cruise-room-upgrade    All you need is last name and reservation number.   Once it is open for your cruise it will show you your bid options.

Often others on your roll call will post when it is open.

Edited by Jim_Iain

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Often others on your roll call will post when it is open.

Good call, I actually started the RC for this sail date, haven't checked it for weeks!

I added some info to my post above. It wasn't booked through the big box, but a TA in the US. I will check to see if I have promo emails selected, thanks.

We are at 38 days prior to our Singapore cruise and it is still not open.   Really not sure if it matters as all the suites above CS are booked.     They usually still let you bid even for categories that are sold out. and often there are cancellations for whatever reason.

• 6 months later...

I can view the offers under my wife’s name, not mine (she did not change her name when we married). The booking has both our names correct.

We are 1 month out, and for an 8 day cruise, currently booked in a sky suite on beyond.

Upgrades are per person:

sunset sky 200

aqua sky 280

celebrity 1500

royal 3000

edge 4000

penthouse 5000

iconic 6000

i consider sunset a downgrade due to aft location (we are central).

aqua is redundant (worthless to me) when you have luminae. Same room otherwise.

celebrity suites are a little bit nicer than sky, but not 1500x2 nicer.

same with Royal suites.  
edge is the first upgrade that is drool worthy.  2 story room, private hot tub outside….

and the penthouse or iconic are awesome.

problem is, edge upgrade would double the price. And that is too much.

if it was 4000 total I would do it, but not 8000.  I hope the price goes down.

strange to see every room type still available for upgrade but not for purchase.

24 minutes ago, schuddle said:

I can view the offers under my wife’s name, not mine (she did not change her name when we married). The booking has both our names correct.

We are 1 month out, and for an 8 day cruise, currently booked in a sky suite on beyond.

Upgrades are per person:

sunset sky 200

aqua sky 280

celebrity 1500

royal 3000

edge 4000

penthouse 5000

iconic 6000

i consider sunset a downgrade due to aft location (we are central).

aqua is redundant (worthless to me) when you have luminae. Same room otherwise.

celebrity suites are a little bit nicer than sky, but not 1500x2 nicer.

same with Royal suites.  
edge is the first upgrade that is drool worthy.  2 story room, private hot tub outside….

and the penthouse or iconic are awesome.

problem is, edge upgrade would double the price. And that is too much.

if it was 4000 total I would do it, but not 8000.  I hope the price goes down.

strange to see every room type still available for upgrade but not for purchase.

It does not mean that they are available, it means if they do become available, that is what one is bidding and hoping for.

On 10/17/2023 at 5:54 PM, jayoldschool said:

Go online to your reservation, select Manage Reservation then scroll down past the flight option and your should see a option to upgrade your cabin.  That should take you to your  Move Up bid form.  I never get the Move Up emails so I just do it through the website.