First time crusier with two kids - lots of questions

dream54ing

Hi everyone,

My wife and two kids (2yr and 4yr old) just booked a 5 day Princess cruise on the Discovery to Cabo in February 2024. 

First time on the forum and first time cruiser. Apologize if these were answered in other threads...

1) We have the Premier package for both adults (Premier comes with 2x each and unlimited casual dining);

Will we have to pay additional for the kids at the casual or specialty restaurants? Kids are probably going to eat at the buffet beforehand since they wont eat much if at all, eg. sushi restaurant/steak. 

2) Can and should we bring a stroller? Especially tendering to Cabo. 

3) How is the weather typically at sea going to Cabo in February? Been trying to research but getting conflicting answers. 

4) Places to visit and avoid in Cabo?

5) Any recommended excursions in Cabo (with a 2yr and 4yr old)?

6) On the last day, the itinerary says ship arrive back at the port at 615am, realistically what time does everyone have to be off the ship? Do we have to wake up before 615am to get breakfast?

thanks in advance for any insight! 

I've never done a five day cruise.  This is based on 7 day (or longer), but the answers should be the same.

1.  I don't know if the kids get a kids' rate for dining.

2.  Stroller, yes bring it.  I am guessing that the older kid doesn't use a stroller?  If you are talking a normal sized stroller, you carry a kid onto the tender in your arms, and collapse the stroller for transportation on the tender boat.

3.  I am guessing that you are doing a round-trip out of Los Angeles.  The first and last days on the cruise will likely be cool.  Long sleeve shirt, windbreaker.  Not what I consider to be pool weather.  Then, in Mexico, we are talking pool/beach weather.

4.  With young children, you probably want to avoid the tequila tasting tours.

5.  Cabo's main excursion in my opinion is a "glass-bottom" boat ride out to the Arch.   I've never done it with kids, and maybe a parent of young children can chime in as to whether they are safe.  

6.  Generally, you need to be out of your cabin by 8:00 a.m.  Once you are out of the cabin, you head out to breakfast before getting off the ship.  

• Like 2

Can’t answer all your questions but I would bring a lightweight folding stroller. Cabo is known for whale watching. I’m sure there are princess excursions but there might be age cut offs. Otherwise a beach? I personally would stay on board and have use of uncrowded pool deck. Weather could be gorgeous or cool. Last time we did that cruise in December it was cold. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dream54ing said:

realistically what time does everyone have to be off the ship? 

You should be out of your cabin by 8 am to allow cleaning for the next guests.  Last call to leave ship usually is around 9:30.  Should be off the ship by 10:00 so it can clear before allowing others to board.

• Like 2

Cabo doesn't really cater to kids like some other areas.  But it's beautiful when the weather is nice.  I would hire one of the boat guys on the beach to take you out to the Arch/Lovers Beach.  It's a better beach.  Last time we were there, we hired a guy on the beach with an umbrella - an English-speaking broker of sorts for the boats.  The boat ride out was great and they'll give the kids a tortilla to feed the fish.  The sand on the main beach is coarse and will cut up bare feet so don't forget the water socks.  Also, get the guy's phone number for the trip back so you can text/call.  Our ship waited more than 30 minutes last time for a couple whose boat never came back for them.

Or walk around the marina.  That was nice and there are clean touristy things to do.

Everyone raved to us about The Office for lunch.  We weren't impressed and it was US prices.

Treasure had a good idea with staying on board.  Or leave the kids onboard. I think you can pay for the Kid's Club on board while you and the wife hit the beach (not sure of this.)

• Like 1

I would suggest doing a princess shore excursion it's safer and guaranteed the ship won't leave without you. You can check out excursions at the princess site for booked guests.  If you haven't already registered you will need to do that to access your booking.  Since cabin is a tender port if you have an excursion you will receive info as to where to meet and leave as a group on the tender boat, if you do not have a princess excursion you will have to get tickets to take the boat into port and you will probably be waiting a while.  Dining at specialty restaurants maybe they have children's menus for no extra charge.  The main dining rooms definitely do.  Also you will need to download the princess app to enter info before cruise I would do that now.  With an iPhone just do a search for princess app.  Android I do not know. 

• Like 1

My son's 1st cruise was at age 3 and we stopped in Cabo.  We ended up doing the Pirate Ship excursion though Princess.  Part of the excursion included snorkeling but of course he was too little for that but the crew still helped me get him in and out of the water to swim (with a life vest) for a few minutes to cool off ( we went in September and it was hot) and he even got to "captain the ship".   

As he got older (he is now 18) we have been back to Cabo many times.  We have chartered a private sailboat, gone to the beach, been whale watching, horseback riding and just wandered around the marina.  Cabo has always been family friendly for us and is one of our favorite ports. 

I recommend a Princess excursion for your 1st time cruising and your 1st time in a port especially having small children.  I believe Princess still offers the Pirate Ship excursion and whale watching should also be good in February.

It will be cool leaving and returning to LA in February and it might even be cool while in Cabo especially if you choose an excursion that you are on the water, I'd pack jackets and/or sweatshirts.

You didn't mention it but the kids club, or Camp Discovery, on Princess was my son's favorite he loved spending time there.  So definitely check that out too.  Princess staff is amazing with kids so I'm sure you all will have a wonderful time. 

Happy cruising!!!

• Like 3

2) It takes some time to tender all passengers to the pier in Cabo. I looked up your itinerary. The ship arrives at noon, remains overnight and then sails the next day at 1pm. Shuttles operate overnight. After arrival passengers going ashore will be asked to report to a meeting area, usually a DR, to receive a shuttle ticket. The entire group must be there. One person can not get tickets for the entire group. If you wish to be ashore soon after arrival then show up early to to the ticket location. It's basically first come, first ashore. At some point during the afternoon there will be an announcement that tickets are no longer required and you just report directly to the tender pontoon on deck 4.

I recommend a folding stroller. To board the shuttle you are required to step across the gap between the ship and the shuttle boat. Many times both are in motion, up & down, side to side. Crew are there to assist. The stroller will be folded and placed on the shuttle. I don't know if a non-foldable stroller can be loaded. Guess it depends on how small it is.

The port is a marina area. There is a "U" shaped walk around the marina lagoon lined with restaurants, shops and such. Lots of passengers will have their evening meal on shore along with the liquid refreshments. There are a number of excursions. It will be whale season. Whale watching should be a popular excursion. There are some nice beaches at hotels. If you select a Princess excursion you will receive instructions on where to meet. It's usually on the ship. If on the ship you will not require shuttle tickets.

4) You are requested to leave your cabin no later than 8am. Disembarkation will begin around 7/7:30am with self walk off where passengers wheel their own luggage. You have to request self walk off. If you do not want self walk off then you will have a meeting location and time at a location on the ship, again usually a DR. On disembarkation day breakfast is served in the DR between 6am and 8am. Times are basically the same in the buffet. There will also be doughnuts and Danish at the International Cafe. You can walk there and get some. In the past I have brought some food from the buffet the day before and had breakfast in the cabin. There is a fridge in each cabin. I'm not certain if room service breakfast is offered on disembarkation day.

3) Hot and sunny. Sea conditions vary a lot. I have experienced choppy seas northbound on the way back to L.A. when the ship is sailing against the current. Be prepared with sea sick meds.

1) Specialty restaurants like the Crown Grill. Children 3 to 12 are $19.50, Children under 3 are no charge. It is similar at other specialty restaurants. For casual dining restaurants I do not see any child pricing. There is a la carte pricing. At a place like GiGi's pizza the children may be able to share with you. There is no charge pizza by the Lido pool as well a the grill with fries, burgers, dogs, ice cream and lots of other selections.

Hope this answers some of your concerns.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Also you can have breakfast on the last day in the buffet, the main dining room or room service up until 8:00 when you must be out of your room. I have seen people on the ship sitting around until 9:30 am

I never received our room service breakfast on the last day.  I was up @6am and waited, we finally had to leave the cabin and we grabbed a breakfast sandwich at International Cafe.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, phabric said:

I never received our room service breakfast on the last day.  I was up @6am and waited, we finally had to leave the cabin and we grabbed a breakfast sandwich at International Cafe.

Yes, I agree .. I’ve never known Princess to offer room service on the last morning of the cruise unless you are in a full suite.  We oftentimes just get an egg salad sandwich from the Ic the night before and put it in the fridge in a ziplock baggie for the next morning.  The ziplock bag keeps the bread fresh.  

• Like 1

We've never sailed to Cabo but you have lots of good responses about those questions.  We have sailed with a 3 1/2 year old on an Alaska cruise in 2018 and an almost 4 year old and 8 1/2 year old on a Caribbean cruise this summer.  In all cases the kids were charged a kids price (1/2 the adult price) in specialty restaurants.

On both trips their parents brought a lightweight folding/collapsible stroller that fits under an airline seat that was fantastic.  https://a.co/d/5MVZTVt

• Like 1

Mom of twins who cruised with them many times as toddlers.  I suggest a stroller with a hood for sun protection that leans back for napping.  I would bring a double tandem stroller so both can be comfortable - distances and waits can be long on a ship, especially getting on and off and it's nice to have a place for both of the kids to be comfortable.  Worst case, the stroller is great to carry water bottles, snacks, sunscreen, etc.  No problem with the tender - they'll lift it on and off.  My overall travel advice with toddlers is to never let them get tired or hungry.  Naps before dinner help make for a pleasant evening.  Bring more diapers and wipes than you think you'll need.  I always ordered room service coffee and milk and cereal for the kids while we get ready for breakfast - can you tell I'm all about eliminating whining?  

In Cabo we always did one of the boat excursions (not a small boat hired at the pier when they're that young).  The themed ones with music, etc. are fun for parents and kids.  I brought life jackets for my kids to wear getting on and off the tenders and on the pier in Cabo.

Weather will be chilly going to and from.  Robes to wear to the pool.

For non-potty trained, I brought the blow up duck tub.  Provides splash play in a quiet area on deck and also fits in the shower for a little bath.  

Head on over to the family board - they're super helpful.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I've never done a five day cruise.  This is based on 7 day (or longer), but the answers should be the same.

1.  I don't know if the kids get a kids' rate for dining.

2.  Stroller, yes bring it.  I am guessing that the older kid doesn't use a stroller?  If you are talking a normal sized stroller, you carry a kid onto the tender in your arms, and collapse the stroller for transportation on the tender boat.Will plan on that.

3.  I am guessing that you are doing a round-trip out of Los Angeles.  The first and last days on the cruise will likely be cool.  Long sleeve shirt, windbreaker.  Not what I consider to be pool weather.  Then, in Mexico, we are talking pool/beach weather. Good to know, will also plan on that

4.  With young children, you probably want to avoid the tequila tasting tours. LOL

5.  Cabo's main excursion in my opinion is a "glass-bottom" boat ride out to the Arch.   I've never done it with kids, and maybe a parent of young children can chime in as to whether they are safe.  We did that on our honeymoon coincidence exactly 10 years ago. Might to be too rocky for the little one, but it was fun. will most likely try that.

6.  Generally, you need to be out of your cabin by 8:00 a.m.  Once you are out of the cabin, you head out to breakfast before getting off the ship.  Good to know

Thanks!

14 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Can’t answer all your questions but I would bring a lightweight folding stroller. Will do! Cabo is known for whale watching. I’m sure there are princess excursions but there might be age cut offs. Otherwise a beach? this is a good idea. I personally would stay on board and have use of uncrowded pool deck. we do want to get off since there isnt much to do for kids, so want to save it for sea days to do on board stuff. Weather could be gorgeous or cool. Last time we did that cruise in December it was cold. this is what i was hoping not happen 😞

thanks!

14 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Also you can have breakfast on the last day in the buffet, the main dining room or room service up until 8:00 when you must be out of your room. I have seen people on the ship sitting around until 9:30 am thanks, good to know! trying to plan for family to pick up, so this is useful

14 hours ago, KreinKrunker said:

You should be out of your cabin by 8 am to allow cleaning for the next guests.  Last call to leave ship usually is around 9:30.  Should be off the ship by 10:00 so it can clear before allowing others to board. thanks, good to know! trying to plan for family to pick up, so this is useful

13 hours ago, Incognito1 said:

Cabo doesn't really cater to kids like some other areas.  But it's beautiful when the weather is nice.  I would hire one of the boat guys on the beach to take you out to the Arch/Lovers Beach.  It's a better beach.  considering this  Last time we were there, we hired a guy on the beach with an umbrella - an English-speaking broker of sorts for the boats.  The boat ride out was great and they'll give the kids a tortilla to feed the fish.  considering this as well  The sand on the main beach is coarse and will cut up bare feet so don't forget the water socks.  Also, get the guy's phone number for the trip back so you can text/call.  Our ship waited more than 30 minutes last time for a couple whose boat never came back for them. thanks for those tip/suggestions!!

Or walk around the marina.  That was nice and there are clean touristy things to do.  yep, from what i remember theres a lot of shopping, so will do that for sure. 

Everyone raved to us about The Office for lunch.  We weren't impressed and it was US prices.  we had senor frog 10 yrs ago, but going to research for some kid friendly restaurants. 

Treasure had a good idea with staying on board.  Or leave the kids onboard.   I think you can pay for the Kid's Club on board while you and the wife hit the beach (not sure of this.)  probably not an option, too protective of our kids, lol 🙂 

12 hours ago, avonlady6390 said:

I would suggest doing a princess shore excursion it's safer and guaranteed the ship won't leave without you. You can check out excursions at the princess site for booked guests. thanks for that tip.  If you haven't already registered you will need to do that to access your booking.  Since cabin is a tender port if you have an excursion you will receive info as to where to meet and leave as a group on the tender boat, if you do not have a princess excursion you will have to get tickets to take the boat into port and you will probably be waiting a while. We've register, just trying to get all info and doc added, but will look into excursion. just wanted to get some recommendation based on pass experience from you guys, rather than reading what they have available on the website. Dining at specialty restaurants maybe they have children's menus for no extra charge. I hope that's the case, since the kids dont have any food package, only wife and I. From what I read, they will charge. Just hoping they dont charge full price $35 each kid for being there. The main dining rooms definitely do.  Planning on that. Also you will need to download the princess app to enter info before cruise I would do that now.  With an iPhone just do a search for princess app.  Android I do not know.  Yes we have the app and trying to familiarize ourselves on it. 

thanks!

11 hours ago, rnff2 said:

My son's 1st cruise was at age 3 and we stopped in Cabo.  We ended up doing the Pirate Ship excursion though Princess.  Part of the excursion included snorkeling but of course he was too little for that but the crew still helped me get him in and out of the water to swim (with a life vest) for a few minutes to cool off ( we went in September and it was hot) and he even got to "captain the ship".   Awesome, will definitely look into that! 

As he got older (he is now 18) we have been back to Cabo many times.  We have chartered a private sailboat, gone to the beach, been whale watching, horseback riding and just wandered around the marina.  Cabo has always been family friendly for us and is one of our favorite ports.  that is cool, cant wait till they get older 🙂

I recommend a Princess excursion for your 1st time cruising and your 1st time in a port especially having small children.  I believe Princess still offers the Pirate Ship excursion and whale watching should also be good in February. Will look into what they have, but mainly wanted to get some recommendation based on pass experience from you guys, rather than reading what they have available on the website. 

It will be cool leaving and returning to LA in February and it might even be cool while in Cabo especially if you choose an excursion that you are on the water, I'd pack jackets and/or sweatshirts.  will plan on that!

You didn't mention it but the kids club, or Camp Discovery, on Princess was my son's favorite he loved spending time there.  So definitely check that out too.  Princess staff is amazing with kids so I'm sure you all will have a wonderful time.  We didnt know exactly how it work, so we are not expecting a lot from it. Also seem small, but will try it out and see how long they last 🙂 Dont think we plan on leaving them there on their own since daughter is only 2. The cruise is mainly for us (10 yr anniversary), otherwise we would of book the Disney cruise out of Florida, but we are holding off for when she gets older so she can actually enjoy it. Plus its our first cruise so just trying out something less expensive. 

Happy cruising!!!

thanks!!

1 hour ago, skynight said:

2) It takes some time to tender all passengers to the pier in Cabo. I looked up your itinerary. The ship arrives at noon, remains overnight and then sails the next day at 1pm. Shuttles operate overnight. After arrival passengers going ashore will be asked to report to a meeting area, usually a DR, to receive a shuttle ticket. The entire group must be there. One person can not get tickets for the entire group. If you wish to be ashore soon after arrival then show up early to to the ticket location. It's basically first come, first ashore. At some point during the afternoon there will be an announcement that tickets are no longer required and you just report directly to the tender pontoon on deck 4.   This is great info, will plan accordingly!!

I recommend a folding stroller. To board the shuttle you are required to step across the gap between the ship and the shuttle boat. Many times both are in motion, up & down, side to side. Crew are there to assist. The stroller will be folded and placed on the shuttle. I don't know if a non-foldable stroller can be loaded. Guess it depends on how small it is.  We are planning on brining a small foldable stroller, so i should be able to carry it and my daughter. Its good to know the process, not looking forward to it, 🙂 

The port is a marina area. There is a "U" shaped walk around the marina lagoon lined with restaurants, shops and such. Lots of passengers will have their evening meal on shore along with the liquid refreshments. There are a number of excursions. It will be whale season. Whale watching should be a popular excursion. There are some nice beaches at hotels. If you select a Princess excursion you will receive instructions on where to meet. It's usually on the ship. If on the ship you will not require shuttle tickets.   great info, good to know!

4) You are requested to leave your cabin no later than 8am. Disembarkation will begin around 7/7:30am with self walk off where passengers wheel their own luggage. You have to request self walk off. If you do not want self walk off then you will have a meeting location and time at a location on the ship, again usually a DR. On disembarkation day breakfast is served in the DR between 6am and 8am. Times are basically the same in the buffet. There will also be doughnuts and Danish at the International Cafe. You can walk there and get some. In the past I have brought some food from the buffet the day before and had breakfast in the cabin. There is a fridge in each cabin. I'm not certain if room service breakfast is offered on disembarkation day.   Will plan on doing the same as you suggested, especially not sure if the kids will wake up early. Again, great info/insight!!

3) Hot and sunny. Sea conditions vary a lot. I have experienced choppy seas northbound on the way back to L.A. when the ship is sailing against the current. Be prepared with sea sick meds.  Unfornately I will be the one taking the med since i get sea sick on smaller boats. Hope the kids are not, it will be their first time at sea 😞

1) Specialty restaurants like the Crown Grill. Children 3 to 12 are $19.50, Children under 3 are no charge.  good to know! still a lot for our 4 yr old that barely eats, but better than $35 each night  It is similar at other specialty restaurants. For casual dining restaurants I do not see any child pricing. There is a la carte pricing. At a place like GiGi's pizza the children may be able to share with you. There is no charge pizza by the Lido pool as well a the grill with fries, burgers, dogs, ice cream and lots of other selections.  Good to know! I read a fine print saying no sharing, but hoping they are not that strict, especially they are just kids. 

Hope this answers some of your concerns.    Yes, thanks for the detailed answers!!!

1 hour ago, phabric said:

I never received our room service breakfast on the last day.  I was up @6am and waited, we finally had to leave the cabin and we grabbed a breakfast sandwich at International Cafe.   thanks!!

40 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Yes, I agree .. I’ve never known Princess to offer room service on the last morning of the cruise unless you are in a full suite.  We oftentimes just get an egg salad sandwich from the Ic the night before and put it in the fridge in a ziplock baggie for the next morning.  The ziplock bag keeps the bread fresh.    Someone suggested that, so we are planning to do that. brining some ziplock bags with us will be on the list :

12 minutes ago, capriccio said:

We've never sailed to Cabo but you have lots of good responses about those questions.  We have sailed with a 3 1/2 year old on an Alaska cruise in 2018 and an almost 4 year old and 8 1/2 year old on a Caribbean cruise this summer.  In all cases the kids were charged a kids price (1/2 the adult price) in specialty restaurants.  That's unfortunate, but good to know. Was hoping they are not strict since our kids are only 2 and 4. 

On both trips their parents brought a lightweight folding/collapsible stroller that fits under an airline seat that was fantastic.  https://a.co/d/5MVZTVt   We are planning to bring one foldable stroller. My parents live in 40 mins away, they will be dropping/picking us up, so bringing the stroller with us will be easy. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Kerry's Girls said:

Mom of twins who cruised with them many times as toddlers.  I suggest a stroller with a hood for sun protection that leans back for napping.  I would bring a double tandem stroller so both can be comfortable - distances and waits can be long on a ship, especially getting on and off and it's nice to have a place for both of the kids to be comfortable.  Worst case, the stroller is great to carry water bottles, snacks, sunscreen, etc.  No problem with the tender - they'll lift it on and off.  My overall travel advice with toddlers is to never let them get tired or hungry.  Naps before dinner help make for a pleasant evening.  Bring more diapers and wipes than you think you'll need.  I always ordered room service coffee and milk and cereal for the kids while we get ready for breakfast - can you tell I'm all about eliminating whining?    Absolutely great insights and suggestions!! We are planning to bring a foldable stroller for the 2 yr old and the 4 yr old can walk. 4 yr old is pretty good with walking 🙂 

In Cabo we always did one of the boat excursions (not a small boat hired at the pier when they're that young).  The themed ones with music, etc. are fun for parents and kids.  I brought life jackets for my kids to wear getting on and off the tenders and on the pier in Cabo.   Will plan on that! 

Weather will be chilly going to and from.  Robes to wear to the pool.   Planning on that, hopefully not too cold 🙂

For non-potty trained, I brought the blow up duck tub.  Provides splash play in a quiet area on deck and also fits in the shower for a little bath.   We bring a bunch of swimming diapers (we have a pool at home, so have extras to bring) Plus both kids need us to hold them in the pool, lol 

Head on over to the family board - they're super helpful.  New to to the site, didnt know there was one, but will check it out.
Thanks again for all the tips and insight!! 

1 hour ago, dream54ing said:

awe, that sucks. good to know! thanks!! well we have a few months to train her 🙂 

Yes, unfortunately cruise ship pools are not set up for swimmers in diapers (including adults).  The water can't be treated the way it is on land, so any accident closes the pool for everyone (I think for 24 hours).  But it's easy to avoid the pool area and keep busy doing other things.  A blow up ball in an empty lounge can be fun.    Your 4 year old might like to try the kids club.  My kids loved it at that age.  In the past, under 3s were allowed to go in with one parent - not sure if that's still the case.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kerry's Girls said:

Yes, unfortunately cruise ship pools are not set up for swimmers in diapers (including adults).  The water can't be treated the way it is on land, so any accident closes the pool for everyone (I think for 24 hours).  But it's easy to avoid the pool area and keep busy doing other things.  A blow up ball in an empty lounge can be fun.    Your 4 year old might like to try the kids club.  My kids loved it at that age.  In the past, under 3s were allowed to go in with one parent - not sure if that's still the case.  

That's how the kids club was for my two a few years ago. Under 3 and you can go in with a parent to play during their open hours.

Yes, swim diapers are not allowed in the pool but I have seen several babies/kids that are wearing them in the pool or no diaper at all. 

• Like 1

you didn't say where you live, which will make a difference in how you feel about the weather...on our last Hawai'i cruise the people from CA were bundled up until we got a few days out, but the people from places where there is snow & actual cold weather were sunbathing by the pool from the first day to the last.

Someone said the tenders ran all night, but on our last stop in Cabo they did not run the whole time. 

Take advantage of your refrigerator, you can either bring food back from the buffet or International Cafe (which is open 42/7) or order room service. For the last morning, we always go to breakfast before we have to be out of our cabins & then come back & pick up the last of our stuff, so we don't have to schlep everything to breakfast

have some photos taken by the ships photographers, I am pretty sure you get the digital files & some prints with your package & Princess has really good photographers they will have different backdrops around the ship each evening where you can pose 

have a wonderful trip & make some great memories with your little ones

• Like 1

We chartered a glass bottom boat in Cabo when our kids were 3 and 5. It was a lot of fun. We got to see Los Arcos and the sea lions resting on the rocks nearby. The captain was fantastic. He had small kids, so he knew how to help them on and off. I found him on TripAdvisor. Our 5-y-o did snorkel for a little while! We were super proud of him! The water was bracingly cold. This was in May.

When we were there on a cruise when my first son was around 6 months old, we tried going to the beaches, where you take a small boat over. It was hectic, and I didn't feel like we really enjoyed it a whole lot. Most of the time was spent getting there and getting back and then taking the tender off and on the ship.

If you bring a stroller, an umbrella stroller would be the way to go. Another option would be one of those hip belt shelf carrier things.

Even just wandering around town and finding a cafe with mariachis might be fun. 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 9:55 PM, travelin.sisters said:

you didn't say where you live, which will make a difference in how you feel about the weather...on our last Hawai'i cruise the people from CA were bundled up until we got a few days out, but the people from places where there is snow & actual cold weather were sunbathing by the pool from the first day to the last. I guess i should be more specific... From comments above, in LA, weather is not pool weather, but in Cabo, it is 🙂 

Someone said the tenders ran all night, but on our last stop in Cabo they did not run the whole time.  We will double check for sure, but with little ones we dont plan on stay out too late. My question was mainly about transitioning on to the tender with a stroller.   

Take advantage of your refrigerator, you can either bring food back from the buffet or International Cafe (which is open 42/7) or order room service. For the last morning, we always go to breakfast before we have to be out of our cabins & then come back & pick up the last of our stuff, so we don't have to schlep everything to breakfast Yep, we planning on that 🙂

have some photos taken by the ships photographers, I am pretty sure you get the digital files & some prints with your package & Princess has really good photographers they will have different backdrops around the ship each evening where you can pose Yes, the photo package is included, planning to take advantage of this service for sure!

have a wonderful trip & make some great memories with your little ones Thanks!

13 hours ago, SummerW said:

We chartered a glass bottom boat in Cabo when our kids were 3 and 5. It was a lot of fun. We got to see Los Arcos and the sea lions resting on the rocks nearby. The captain was fantastic. He had small kids, so he knew how to help them on and off. I found him on TripAdvisor. Our 5-y-o did snorkel for a little while! We were super proud of him! The water was bracingly cold. This was in May. awesome, good to hear positive experience. looking forward to it

When we were there on a cruise when my first son was around 6 months old, we tried going to the beaches, where you take a small boat over. It was hectic, and I didn't feel like we really enjoyed it a whole lot. Most of the time was spent getting there and getting back and then taking the tender off and on the ship. Good to know!!

If you bring a stroller, an umbrella stroller would be the way to go. Another option would be one of those hip belt shelf carrier things. We actually bought an unbrella stroller for our recent Hawaii trip, so perfect. We also have a body carrier, but our chubby girl might be to big to fit, lol. Will test in a few months before we got 🙂 

Even just wandering around town and finding a cafe with mariachis might be fun. We are researching more to find anything interesting for the kids and/or things we (my wife and I) didnt do last time we were here. I'm sure things have change 10 yrs ago. 

On 10/20/2023 at 11:50 AM, akeasley said:

That's how the kids club was for my two a few years ago. Under 3 and you can go in with a parent to play during their open hours.

Yes, swim diapers are not allowed in the pool but I have seen several babies/kids that are wearing them in the pool or no diaper at all. 

That's good to know, one of us were planning to stay with them there, so that works. 

Our 2 yr old is pretty good in telling us if she poops, plus we know her general BM schedule, so our pool times will be based on that 🙂. We do have 4 months to potty train too, lol. 

SEE ANSWERS UNDERLINED.

1) We have the Premier package for both adults (Premier comes with 2x each and unlimited casual dining);

Will we have to pay additional for the kids at the casual or specialty restaurants? Kids are probably going to eat at the buffet beforehand since they wont eat much if at all, eg. sushi restaurant/steak. 

I don't believe you have to pay extra for kids but the premier package is new since we sailed. 

2) Can and should we bring a stroller? Especially tendering to Cabo.

Ideally--bring one of those portable/foldable strollers. My 4 year old was pretty much at the max weight limit for that but he got really tired walking so glad we brought it. The Tender area is a bit of a hike from the Marina/central part of town.

3) How is the weather typically at sea going to Cabo in February? Been trying to research but getting conflicting answers. 

It really depends; we went this past January (late January) and were able to have a beach day as it was in the 70s. I would say plan it being in the late 60s at coldest although maybe some rain.

4) Places to visit and avoid in Cabo?

With our 4 year old, we didn't want to venture too far. We stayed around the Marina, there's a mall right there and hung out on Medano beach, had lunch on one of the beachfront restaurants there.

5) Any recommended excursions in Cabo (with a 2yr and 4yr old)?

If you do an excursion, those Pirate ships are supposed to be fun (timing didn't work out for us).; whale watching also but I recommend a catamaran versus a speedboat.  We weren't comfortable taking a water taxi or speed boat because not all of them seemed to have life vests for kids.

6) On the last day, the itinerary says ship arrive back at the port at 615am, realistically what time does everyone have to be off the ship? Do we have to wake up before 615am to get breakfast?

You are given disembarkation times to get off; if you self disembark, you can get off on your own but it usually is before 10 am for sure; must leave the cabin by 8 am usually. 

Have fun!

Edited by SuzieQ521
  • Like 1